Metal Storm logo
Ebay May Ban Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 15.09.2006 - 04:34
I was browsing the Metal-Archives forums when this caught my eye. You can find the original post here. Here is a copy-paste of the text.

----
Paula Hogan of MANIC Music & Distribution and Candlelight Records USA has contacted BLABBERMOUTH.NET to report that "eBay is [allegedly] currently starting a ban on black/extreme metal. A few of our vendors who have sizeable eBay stores are now finding their items pulled down by eBay directly. The list we have compiled so far that have been pulled for sale via any eBay stores or auctions is noted below. I'm sure there are more."

Added Dan Ferguson of Indianapolis, IN's Abyss Records: "I had a number of items removed and account suspended by selling black metal. It seems a group of so-called Christians have been reporting black metal bands (even though eBay has black metal as a search genre) as all racist and hateful and discriminatory."

The items that were allegedly removed by eBay because they "violated the eBay Hateful or Discriminatory policy" are as follows:

BURZUM - Complete 6 LP SET
EMPEROR - IX Equilibrium ORIG. LP
WOTANORDEN - From The.. CD
BURZUM - s/t / Aske DOUBLE LP
1349 - Beyond The CD
DARKTHRONE - Panzerfaust CD
MAYHEM - Collection 4 LP SET
PANTHEON - Krihapentswor CD
DARKTHRONE - Total Death CD
BURZUM - Draugen CD DVD
BURZUM - Daudi Baldrs LP
BURZUM - Daudi Baldrs CD
ZYKLON B - Blood Must Be Shed CD
ARMAGGEDON - Imperium CD
EMPEROR - Demo LP
1349 - Hellfire DOUBLE LP
DARKTHRONE - Hate Them CD
BURZUM - Filosofem DOUBLE LP
BURZUM - Hlidskjalf LP
BURZUM - Det Som Engang Var DIGI CD
CAMULOS / AINSHVAL - Split CD
BURZUM - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss LP
BURZUM - Det Som Engang Var LP
NOKTURNAL MORTUM - Weltanschauung CD
SATYRICON - Now, Diabolical CD

In eBay's e-mail to Ferguson explaining their decision to remove his listing, they write, "eBay doesn't permit sellers to list items that promote or glorify hatred, violence, or racial intolerance. Items that promote organizations with such views are also prohibited.

"eBay will judiciously disallow listings or items that promote or glorify hatred, violence or racial intolerance, or items that promote organizations (such as Nazis, neo-Nazis and Aryan Nation) with such views. This policy also applies to listings that offer shipping to countries where certain items may be illegal."

To review eBay's list of Prohibited, Questionable, and Infringing items, click here. To learn more about why eBay may remove listings, go to this location.

Source: http://roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=58406
----

Does anyone else think this is unethical? Most of the bands on the list don't even promote racial intolerance.
27.12.2007 - 16:28
villain
bleh!!
who cares .. e-gay can go sell britney spears' panties- I'm sure that is more polite and politically correct
downloading rules , btw
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
27.12.2007 - 18:01
Piro
Lol this is more bullshit than the shit Gamespot tried to pull with firing a reviewer for giving a game a bad score.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
31.12.2007 - 01:31
Fuath
Written by Piro on 27.12.2007 at 18:01

Lol this is more bullshit than the shit Gamespot tried to pull with firing a reviewer for giving a game a bad score.

hahahahahaha, they did that, did it work?

anyways, i dont "shop" at ebay, but i think it would be nice if the black metallers out there were to get back at them
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

31.12.2007 - 15:28
Piro
Yea, but they claimed he was "not doing a good job for a long time now, so we decided we had to fire him for his lack of good work".

Still, Ebay shouldn't ban anything as long as its not illegal, because ebay is only supposed to be a thrid party between you and the buyer and seller, so the buyer can find more objects and compare prices while the seller can reach a bigger audience, Ebay isn't anything more than that, so they shouldn't pull stuff like this for no reason.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
08.01.2008 - 21:53
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Black metal is definitely not banned from eBay, you can buy most anything. A week or so ago I found an original pressing of one of the Burzum albums, possibly Aske and there were 23 bids for the cost of $250 US and it still had like 6 hours left on it.

I've bought a few things: Mayhem, Satyricon and Caarpathian Forest patches. Mayhem's Wolf's Lair Abyss shirt and a Mayhem shirt for my wife.
08.01.2008 - 22:21
rageing atheist
Account deleted
This whole affair is pretty dated and I'm not sure whether we really need to complain about it, seeing that ebay has not banned black metal. I remember during the autumn of 2006 some black metal records were removed from ebay and their sellers got a warning if I'm not mistaken, so there was all this panic like "oh my god ebay's banning black metal", but after a while things pretty much calmed down, and guess what? Despite all the panic not much really happened, and you can still find tons of black metal on ebay, even stuff like Absurd et al, so there's no reason in keeping this thread alive, imho.
09.01.2008 - 00:10
Fucked Upstairs.
Account deleted
if egay is going to ban black metal i'm very sure someone will just make an online auction site for black metal.
so i don't think it's worth all the talking about it.

edit: someone in the metal-archives forum made a good point, what about fucking gangsta rap then ?
09.01.2008 - 00:45
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Black Metal: It's Better When You Win It.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh3mMCfc7Sg

P.S. Sniping ist kreig.
28.02.2008 - 04:16
Svartlock
hahah, pathetic