Metal Storm logo
The Big 4... of British Heavy Metal

Original post

Posted by Silent Jay, 20.04.2011 - 15:23
I was wondering, there's the Big 4 of U.S. Thrash Metal, so what would be the U.K. equivalent?

My first thought is Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motörhead and Saxon. But some of these emerged much earlier than others and the Thrash Big 4, so what other bands emerged a bit later (80's as opposed to 70's) that could be considered part of the Big 4 of British Heavy Metal?

Maybe we can make a definitive MetalStorm decision?

*Sorry if something like this has been posted before, it probably has, but I tried the search function and couldn't find anything.
06.07.2017 - 00:11
nikarg

Written by Guest on 24.06.2017 at 16:46

Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motörhead

Totally agree. And I also think it's a pretty obvious list, since no other band can break into these four as far as popularity and/or quality is concerned.
07.07.2017 - 09:45
HemisphereofWar

Written by Bad English on 05.07.2017 at 20:03

Written by HemisphereofWar on 05.07.2017 at 09:41

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.07.2017 at 15:55

Written by tea[m]ster on 03.07.2017 at 15:53

What about Saxon or Tygers of Pan Tang?

Saxon, yes. Tygers Of Pan Tang no, they released way too many crappy albums... remember The Cage?

I'm not familiar with Saxon, but I know that they're probably one of the more influential bands from Britain alongside Iron Maiden. I have another band in mind, but I am forgetting the name of it...

you like maiden and bands in your fav list, not knowing Saxon is like blasphemy, in some way. I know another one who never have heard Saxon and its horrible actually.
Read my article about Saxon

Denim and Leather mayne. I own the album. Completely wrote that sentence wrong.
----
See how it sings like a sad heart
And joyously screams out its pain
Sounds that build high like a mountain
Or notes that fall gently, like rain.
26.07.2017 - 04:09
dmiller458

The British equivalent of American Big 4 of Thrash would be:

Deathwish
Onslaught
Sabbat
Warfare
26.07.2017 - 04:21
dmiller458

Britain never had four thrash bands to equal the Big 4, but the US never had four weeks like this:

4-13 Judas Priest - British Steel UK 4
4-13 Saxon - Wheels of Steel UK 5
4-20 Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden UK 4
4-27 Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell UK 9
5-04 Motorhead - The Golden Years: Live EP UK 8
21.09.2018 - 11:48
mantan69

The 4 Of Us released their first album, Songs for the Tempted, with CBS Records in 1989, with the single "Mary", becoming one of the most played songs on Irish radio that year. Consequently, the album went double platinum in Ireland and won Best Album of the Year at the Irish Music Awards, defeating the internationally known act U2.

The album Man Alive followed on Sony/Columbia Records in 1992, and saw the group enter the UK charts for the first time, with the album entering the chart at , and the single, "She Hits Me" spending four weeks on the chart.

The band then lost momentum scrapping the release of Amplifier, their proposed third long player but released 2 singles "Change (Amplifier Version)" and "Someone's Got To Lose" Video, in 1997.

They did not separate however, and eventually returned to recording albums, releasing the largely acoustic-based Classified Personal on the FUTURE INC. label in 1999.