Metal Storm logo
Judas Priest - K.K. Downing Leaves The Band

Judas Priest have released a letter stating that original guitarist K.K. Downing has formally retired from the band, and will not join the band on the upcoming Epitaph World Tour. The band respect his decision and wish him well.

Replacing K.K. on the tour will be 31 year old British guitar player Richie Faulkner (Lauren Harris, Dirty Deeds), who has apparently blended into the band perfectly and will set the stage on fire.

The upcoming "Epitaph" tour will include songs from every Judas Priest studio album, including some the band have never performed before. It will be "heavy metal at its best complete with lasers, lights, bikes and hellfire!!"

The band also have another album due out next year.

[Also thanks to Snbn for sending this in!]

Source: judaspriest.com
Band profile: Judas Priest
Posted: 20.04.2011 by Baz Anderson

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 49   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 308 users
20.04.2011 - 20:46
sbgmetal

What?!! tell me this is not true!
20.04.2011 - 20:47
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I thought they weren't releasing new albums.

Well, I guess I'll have no KK in Lisbon this summer.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
20.04.2011 - 20:48
Valentin B
Iconoclast
It's sad to hear about KK, who's actually a founding member of Priest along with Ian, but then again they're childhood friends, i guess they know what's best. i'm glad it wasn't Glen though, as he is the main songwriter of the band. on the other hand, there is precisely one song credited just to KK in all of Priest's discography.

and i hope to see this Faulkner guy infuse some youth and energy into the band's live performance, cause unfortunately except maybe for Rob, they're kinda static on stage.
20.04.2011 - 20:49
Baz Anderson

It's a shame, but he was either going to leave the band or eventually die in it - we should just be happy it isn't the latter.
Silent Jay

What the hell, Before their final world tour!? Guess this means he won't be on the new album either. Wow that'll be weird :/
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by BloodTears on 20.04.2011 at 20:47

As won't the many of us seeing then in Wacken. Too bad that. Hopefully they find somebody to step in and don't cancel the shows altogether.
----
20.04.2011 - 20:54
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by corrupt on 20.04.2011 at 20:49

As won't the many of us seeing then in Wacken. Too bad that. Hopefully they find somebody to step in and don't cancel the shows altogether.

According to the statement, that won't be a problem. It doesn't seem like they'll cancel shows because of it.

But I would've liked to see the whole band for one last time.
----

My Instagram
20.04.2011 - 20:57
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I was going to post this news earlier, but Id already been beaten to it. lol

I actually wouldn't have been surprised had it been Glenn retiring, what with his health problems in recent years. With just one final tour and album left, Im a bit shocked that KK has decided to leave now. Ah well... it just makes me treasure even more the moment when he performed the "Sinner" solo right over me when I saw them in 2009.

Im very, very sceptical about this new young guy being brought in, but then again, they replaced Rob with Ripper who did an amazing job, so I'll hold off my judgement till I actually see him in action with Priest. Still, this is very sad news...
20.04.2011 - 21:12
LoudBoy26

All Good Things Come To A End, KK Was The Best At What he Did. He Will Be Missed. PRIEST RULES
20.04.2011 - 21:19
Vegard R

On the discussion page on the Judas Priest website, there is rumors that it is NOT due to health problems, which, in case, is very good news. Although I am sad that I won't be able to see one of my greatest heroes - maybe the greatest - one last time, I have a good feeling about the upcoming tour and album! I think Halford and Tipton is capable of composing some really hard-hitting, fist-pumping heavy metal, and I believe Richie Faulkner can bring in some youthful, rebellious rock'n'roll energy to the songs! I look forward to this!

I wish both K.K. and the band all the best for the future.
20.04.2011 - 21:20
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
I'll give this guy a chance. I highly doubt it's going to change their sound at all. It might be nice having a younger guy with them, but it sure does suck that KK has left, thus a third of the writing force.
20.04.2011 - 21:26
Thryce
Retired Staff
Jeez, oldtimer couldn't even wait to retire 'til the Farewell tour was over... Exactly the kind of behavior one would expect from a guy called K.K.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
20.04.2011 - 21:45
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted

Ainda por cima já comprei o bilhete...(translation: and the worst is that i've already bought the ticket)
20.04.2011 - 21:46
Jay
Perkele
WTF...? I'm going to see Priest at Sauna Open Air, but it won't be the same without KK... I really wonder why he quit just now... Priest has been his life work and still he's going to sit out the farewell tour! So again: WTF...?
----
This one goes to 11
20.04.2011 - 21:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I have a feeling there in end onlyt Rob can be JP, others be young men playing
Sad news but JP best years are in past, gigs well even there is performece Rob's voice is why we like it and go , guitars can be replaiced
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.04.2011 - 21:59
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Wtf...
----
20.04.2011 - 22:46
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. GADDAMNIT. I've always preferred KK over Tipton. Oh well, it's their farewell tour, not as big of a deal. And I'm assuming this means he wont be on the 2012 release?
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
20.04.2011 - 22:50
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Bad English on 20.04.2011 at 21:56

I have a feeling there in end onlyt Rob can be JP, others be young men playing
Sad news but JP best years are in past, gigs well even there is performece Rob's voice is why we like it and go , guitars can be replaiced

it wouldn't be the same magic. it would be like watching a tribute band with Rob handling the vocals. there's something great about the tone, the playing style, having them on stage playing those kickass riffs and solos i've banged my head and played air guitar to for so long.
20.04.2011 - 22:54
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by LeChron James on 20.04.2011 at 22:46
And I'm assuming this means he wont be on the 2012 release?

I'm pretty sure he won't be playing on the album, no. But Priest have been writing material for it since at least December last year, so there is a chance that some stuff that KK wrote could end up on the album. It does seem to be a complete mystery why he has left the band now, especially if health reasons had nothing to do with it. With only one more tour left in Priest's career, I'm perplexed at why he has decided to quit now. The lack of an official reason given makes me think there's more to this announcement than meets the eye. Though I am hoping that it's simply he doesnt have the energy for it anymore.
20.04.2011 - 23:10
Sepulnation

:S
----
fuck shit up!
21.04.2011 - 01:17
RavenKing

Those old Metal bands really start to fall apart.
Not that I care though, to be honest.

Anyway, time has come for the Metal scene to clean the slate. The departure of worthless old bands could well give opportunity for younger and better bands to get enough recognition to be able to carry on. Everything has to come to an end eventually and many old bands are, in fact, finished since many years ago. The countdown has begun. The Metal scene is about to change radically. Hopefully for the best.
Of course, many will find it sad. A feeling I absolutely don't share, as I see it as a new hope, an opportunity for new great bands to rise.
Also, Imo, the scene has been way too stale since the millenia. A renewal can only be welcome.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
21.04.2011 - 01:42
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Dissapointing. I've never seen Priest live, and will now never be able to see the classic lineup. Not to mention that K.K and Glen are my favorite guitar duo. Oh well, wish K.K and Priest the best of luck.
21.04.2011 - 01:47
Mountain King
K i K o
No! I love KK Downing so much. Such a great guitarist and inspiration. His solos can't be played by anyone else! I wanted to see the classic line-up before they stopped touring. This is bad news for me, and im not happy with it at all. I wish KK the best though...
21.04.2011 - 03:09
jpwiseguy
Account deleted
WHAT - THE - FUCK !!!

Damn, it really IS the end of the world...ugh. /facepalm
21.04.2011 - 09:53
BudDa

Erm..wasn't this band supposed to be breaking up..taking a hiatus..calling it quits..or something?
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
21.04.2011 - 10:09
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
So this is the end of metal's greatest lead guitar pairing. I wonder who the next best pair are?
My money would be on either the Amott brothers or King and Hannermann (i'm not sure how to spell it, the guy from Slayer with the spider bite). Can't count Iron Maiden's guitarists cause there's 3 of them.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
21.04.2011 - 11:25
erykk

I can't believe. Is a big surprise
----
Open your eyes
21.04.2011 - 11:31
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Guest on 20.04.2011 at 21:45

Ainda por cima já comprei o bilhete...:(

You shouldn't speak Portuguese on the forums. Be careful with that

I bought my ticket already as well.
----

My Instagram
21.04.2011 - 12:36
Kingface

After all those years, this is how KK Downing and Priest depart. Not exactly the stuff of fantasy is it?
21.04.2011 - 14:35
Yoodik
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 21.04.2011 at 01:17

Those old Metal bands really start to fall apart.
Not that I care though, to be honest.

Anyway, time has come for the Metal scene to clean the slate. The departure of worthless old bands could well give opportunity for younger and better bands to get enough recognition to be able to carry on. Everything has to come to an end eventually and many old bands are, in fact, finished since many years ago. The countdown has begun. The Metal scene is about to change radically. Hopefully for the best.
Of course, many will find it sad. A feeling I absolutely don't share, as I see it as a new hope, an opportunity for new great bands to rise.
Also, Imo, the scene has been way too stale since the millenia. A renewal can only be welcome.

Judas Priest is a worthless old band? Bullshit.

If the younger bands are really that good, they'll be recognized regardless of the old bands.

Hits total: 9736 | This month: 10