06. Grain
07. Breakwater
08. Cult Of Decay
09. Torn
10. Soulcarvers

Staff review by
White Winter Sun
Rating:
Two years after the release of the gem Isolation Songs, Finnish atmospheric sludge metallers Ghost Brigade are back with their new album, entitled Until Fear No Longer Defines Us. This album, which was recorded at Seawolf Studios, was released on August 2011 via French label Season Of Mist.

Until Fear No Longer Defines Us kicks off with the acoustic track "In The Woods". Immediately you can recognize the band's trademark, immersing the listener in their musical universe tinted with melancholy. The second track, entitled "Clawmaster", confirms this first impression: the recipe remains unchanged; it's 100% Ghost Brigade. Once again the mix/alternation of clean and harsh vocals perfectly works even though the clean parts are much more prominent than on Isolation Songs. I truly understand that a lot of people could be disappointed by this paucity of growls. On the other hand, this change leads to something more generic and in a lesser extent to a more accessible album. For me one of the most damageable aspects could be the lack of originality but is it so important when the performance is here? I don't think so. The whole album contains a muddle of melodic and melancholic parts putting great emphasis on the emotions. The musicians' performance is far from being bad, too; they clearly know how to handle their instruments. Finally, "Soulcarvers" concludes the album, where Manne's voice fits perfectly with the music, reaching a climax in terms of delivered emotions. "Soulcarvers" is typically the kind of song where you can close your eyes and let the music grow up on you (and I can also confirm to you that this song was a blast live!).

Read more ››
published 10.11.2011 | Comments (10)

Two years after the release of the gem Isolations Songs, Until Fear No Defines Us marks the return of Finnish metallers Ghost Brigade.

The recipe remains the same (and I would say it is not a bad thing), leading once again to a really solid album. So, check Until Fear No Defines Us out and do not miss this piece of melancholy!

Reminder: as appetizer, you can download for free a new track, entitled "Clawmaster", on the Season Of Mist's website over here. Enjoy!

White Winter Sun's picks | More picks ››

Found in 40 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 42   Visited by: 970 users
21.04.2011 - 06:45
Rating: 8
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Gotta love sludge...
----
rekt
23.04.2011 - 19:33
SceneryOfLoss

Awesome :-)
23.04.2011 - 19:49
Abattoir

One of the most anticipated albums of the year for me...
07.05.2011 - 19:43
Rating: 10
Argônio

Can't WAIT!
01.06.2011 - 01:55
MechanisT
Account deleted
This one is going to be awesome, I can feel it. I'm dying to hear their latest stuff. Slowly and steadily becoming one of the most anticipated releases of the year for me, especially since I've been playing Isolation Songs non-stop for a while now.
02.08.2011 - 02:16
Being and Time

After hearing Clawmaster, I'm a little worried about this one. I initially liked it, but now I can't get into it. Isolation Songs had a kind of balance to most of the songs, and I'm afraid the songwriting won't be as good as their last album. I eagerly anticipate this record nonetheless.
16.08.2011 - 19:34
SceneryOfLoss

Tomorrow the whole album will be on streaming!
19.08.2011 - 12:09
Rating: 10
lord artan

Best news in this year bravo ghost brigade
19.08.2011 - 16:13
Rating: 9
Yugosaki

Album is awsome
----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEBpRWr2IA
19.08.2011 - 21:44
Evilquince

I simply adore albums like these, melodic and melancholic. Better than Isolation Songs imho, easier to get into at least.
----
Some suffer to the point when they grow numb.
Others are so numb they deserve to suffer.
20.08.2011 - 01:56
Rating: 7
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Not too impressed at the moment. Maybe it will grow on me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
20.08.2011 - 12:21
SceneryOfLoss

Written by BloodTears on 20.08.2011 at 01:56

Same. Still there are some great songs.
20.08.2011 - 12:45
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by SceneryOfLoss on 20.08.2011 at 12:21

Same. Still there are some great songs.

I wouldn't say you have "great songs". In my opinion, you have some good songs. That's why it is disappointing.
----

My Instagram
20.08.2011 - 23:24
evilones76

Awesome album!
22.08.2011 - 12:09
Pyramid God

Disclaimer: Ghost Brigade is my third favorite band ever.

I'm pretty disappointed by this album even though I think its quite good. The problem is they went from great, to perfect, to merely good. I think this is their weakest album yet. Thats the problem with expectations, this is a good album I should enjoy but I can't help but wish it was better.
22.08.2011 - 17:34
JD
Account deleted
I don't usually listens to bands with the "Ghost" names, but this is actually good.
22.08.2011 - 19:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 22.08.2011 at 17:34

I don't usually listens to bands with the "Ghost" names, but this is actually good.

Hey, the swedish band is pretty neat
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.08.2011 - 20:56
Rating: 6
Rulatore

No that good, some really good songs, but only few =/
25.08.2011 - 11:25
Behdaad
DEAD
Even though, they're one of my favorite bands so far, I didn't actually like this album.
Comparing this to 'Isolation Songs' which I gave a 10 to, rated this one a 7.

Not 'heavy' enough, and also most of the songs are so similar that I thought I just played one song with 'repeat' turned on.

The best song was Clawmaster I think.
----
As tyranny becomes normality;
We hang at the end of the rope.
31.08.2011 - 02:58
Being and Time

You know what? I actually enjoyed this a lot. Certain albums have similar flaws. This album's flaw is kind of like Noumena's Anatomy of Life, a follow up to the superb Absence: while the songs are still well-crafted and interesting, very few reach the perfection of Isolation Songs. The last three songs were an unbelievable ending, and one that's better than the ending of the prior album, but there were a couple of songs that just didn't meet the insane hype that was set on it. But let's be fair, folks. This is by no means a bad album at all. In fact, I think it's worthy of an 8, and it's still leagues better than their debut. Some rawer moments reward multiple listens.
31.08.2011 - 15:48
Therapy?

Hmmm... my first playthrough got me with this opinion for now:

"Isolation Songs" had this insanely awesome song called "Into The Black Light" which consisted solely of clean voice. I liked it because it was a nice differentiation from the rest which had either just growls or a mix. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the growls but something about this song just really moved me. Maybe because it was the song I heard live (I didn't know them then) that made me buy their album.

Now I see that this new album has a lot of (slow-going) songs with more, if not only clean vocals. But somehow they don't match with that particular song. And I'd like to have heard more growls, more power. That's what gave the other songs from Isolation Songs so much rawness. I don't know... it feels like thiss album misses something.

This is not a bad album at all, though. It's hard to surpass or even match the awesomeness that is Isolation Songs. I'm going to give this some more listens untill I decide what to rate it.

There's no doubt that I will buy this album, though. I love Ghost Brigade.
04.09.2011 - 22:39
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal

Hiya B.T.! My thoughts exactly. I've been listening to it alot lately and it's sounding better and better!
----
rekt
04.09.2011 - 23:59
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by tea[m]ster on 04.09.2011 at 22:39

Hiya B.T.! My thoughts exactly. I've been listening to it alot lately and it's sounding better and better!

Hey| Where have you been? Around I'm sure

When I listened to it more times, it seemed a little better, but it didn't change my opinion dramatically, at least so far.
----

My Instagram
07.09.2011 - 17:39
Rating: 5
Fleabag

I loved the first two albums, but unfortunately this album is too watered down. It seems the band went for a safer option when writing music for this album. Their dark punchy groove has been replaced with a bland soul less radio friendly sound. The best song on this album (Torn) is still weaker than any song on isolation.
08.09.2011 - 07:11
Garth Vader

I'm not finding the same kind of inspiration on this album as I did on Isolation Songs. I agree, it sounds a little more generic. Isolation Songs was a perfect 10 for me and felt like a combination of Katatonia, Opeth and Paradise Lost. "Until Fear..." sounds like Stone Sour in a way, maybe a combination with Alter Bridge or something. Less aggression, more accessibility, but less visceral immersion in the Ghost Brigade we all came to love on Isolation. When coming off a classic album of that caliber what we are looking for is more of a baby step in another direction and less of a big jump. I need more listens to rank Until Fear... and maybe it will grow on me a little more.
----
Now I so clearly see how I have murdered me
12.09.2011 - 16:58
Kuroboshi

There's a lot of good tunes, but, there's just no "Into the Black Light" or "Horns". I think that the band needs to renew themselves. I mean, it's the exact same patterns. You can predict the song by hearing the first 10 seconds of it. But it's good music nonetheless.
14.09.2011 - 22:41
Night Sight

I have not good feeling about this album right now.specially because i loved their previous work."my heart is a tomb" and "into the black light" are my all time favorite doom metal songs.i expected much more than this.
however i enjoy "Chamber" and "grain"
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
23.09.2011 - 11:49
BudDa

Very melodic, Less aggressive. Its still good though..
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
13.10.2011 - 07:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I used to slag "post-metal"/"atmospheric sludge" because I didn't want to step out of my black/death metal boundaries, but eventually I gave in and started listening to stuff like Rosetta and Cult of Luna, but I never remembered to check out Ghost Brigade.

So ya, this is my first exposure to the band and I'm definitely pleased with it. I'll make my way into their previous releases eventually, only now I know I won't wait two years to get around to it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.10.2011 - 22:58
Departer
Account deleted
This is a pretty good album but it doesn't have anything as memorable as "into the black light" in it ("Grain" comes close for me though).

Hits total: 19912 | This month: 7