11. White Noise / Black Silence
12. Ex Nihilo
13. The Poison Well [Japanese bonus]
14. Static [bonus]

Top 20 albums of 2002: 4
Top 200 albums of all time: 86
Featured in "Getting Into: Dark Tranquillity"

Additional info
Recorded at Studio Fredman during February and March 2002.
Produced by D.T. and Fredrik Nordström.
Engineered by Fredrik Nordström and Patrik J. Sten.
Mastered by Göran Finnberg at The Mastering Room.

Music and arrangements by D.T. 2000-2002.
Lyrics by Mikael Stanne
Art Direction & Design by Niklas Sundin for Cabin Fever Media (www.cabinfevermedia.com).
"Monochromatic Stains" video created by Achilleas Gatsopoulos (www.hypnagogia.com).

© 2002 Century Media Records / © 2002 Magic Arts Publishing
Group band photo by Volker Beushausen.
Live photo credits: Bernadette Stiller, Bertrand Corbi, Kerstin Rössler, Andreas Mäkitalo & Rikard Ökvist.

Re-released on July 24, 2009 completly remastered with all of the above bonus
tracks. This version also includes the bonus song "Static" (04:40) and a live
recording of "The Treason Wall" as bonus.

[2009 reissue bonus]
15. Static
16. The Poison Well
17. The Treason Wall [live]
+ Monochromatic Stains [video]

Guest review by
Justin
Rating:
Sweden's Dark Tranquillity may have been a half step behind some of the other leaders in the Gothenburg melodic death metal movement (In Flames and The Crown come to mind), but with "Damage Done", Dark Tranquillity are going not only going to get the praise they deserve, but be a hard act to follow in the process.

Read more ››
published 11.09.2003 | Comments (17)

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
Ladies and gentlemen, Dark Tranquillity is proud to introduce their latest bombshell and you better give it a listen! In the typical current trend to make the now famous Gothenburg sound progress, "Damage Done" is the cornerstone of the arising splendid edifice. The band of Niklas Sundin and Mikael Stanne is still on top of everybody else in terms of creating headbanging riffs and memorable anthems and this album is an endowment to every metal freak on Earth.

Read more ››
published 11.08.2004 | Comments (3)

Found in 68 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 51   Visited by: 1467 users
01.03.2015 - 15:13
Rating: 10
bblitz

Beautiful album,I love it so much.
23.04.2015 - 22:12
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
First album I ever heard from them. Blew my mind. Still my favorite, but almost everything these guys touch turns to gold.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
30.07.2016 - 20:48
Rating: 9
Danny Thomas

I feel this is their second best behind character.
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
11.01.2017 - 20:22
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Man, this album is just too fucking good. Everytime I look at the tracklist i'm amazed at just how many incredible songs are on it. Most albums theres 2 or 3, maybe 4 incredible songs if its a really good album...... but Damage Done? At least 7. Monochromatic Stains, Single Part of Two, Final Resistance, Treason Wall, Damage Done, Cathode Ray Sunshine and, in my opinion, The Poison Well. You can easily make an argument for more than 7 as well. I've been listening to this album for YEARS and I don't get sick of hearing any of it
18.01.2018 - 00:46
Nick Carter

Fantastic piece of art. Probably their best work, and that is a lot.
----
#MetalIsForEveryone
24.01.2018 - 13:28
Raven Of Death

Written by Danny Thomas on 30.07.2016 at 20:48

I think the best is Projector the second is this
25.01.2018 - 18:29
Danny Thomas

Written by Raven Of Death on 24.01.2018 at 13:28

Written by Danny Thomas on 30.07.2016 at 20:48

I think the best is Projector the second is this

even though it's not my favorite, projector is so unique, i will always hold it in high regard.
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
17.02.2018 - 01:59
Spacerunner

Only I, Deception and Static (amazing track from a remastered version) were not mentioned in the thread and they are awesome as well. When people list all songs from the album including bonuses as their favourite ones, you know it's a timeless masterpiece.
03.10.2019 - 17:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Its not DM, not MDM, its weird on keyboard based sound where old roots somehow remainds how good band was in crimson winds.....even I like album, still its not often in play list
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.04.2021 - 00:39
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
My favourite album by DT, and also my favourite album in Melodic death metal. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to get into the Melodic death metal genre and don't know where to start, or fans of the genre who have unbelievably never listened to it.

I find it a highly addictive and exiting album, with endless amounts of melody. The vocals are harsh and aggressive but easy to listen to which makes the lyrics more understandable for new listeners of the genre.

I found every song on the album to be at least good, there is not one song I dislike.The ones I found stood out most were Monochromatic stains, Cathode ray sunshine, I, deception, Treason wall and Final Ressistance, and my favorite DT song being Hours passed in exile, because I love the build up to the main riff and the chorus is outstanding, and it's such a motivating song.
01.08.2021 - 00:02
(o> . )

Love this album, my fantasy is that it will get remastered one day (but absolutely not smash it with a limiter type of remaster ), the mix is kinda boxy and nasally imo. Heck, The Gallery has a better mixdown, it's brighter with more clarity.
01.08.2021 - 15:42
MeatWolf

Written by (o> . ) on 01.08.2021 at 00:02

Love this album, my fantasy is that it will get remastered one day (but absolutely not smash it with a limiter type of remaster ), the mix is kinda boxy and nasally imo. Heck, The Gallery has a better mixdown, it's brighter with more clarity.

But it was remastered in 2009?
01.08.2021 - 16:57
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I don't think I've ever heard anyone take issue with the mix here before. I love the heavy bass and synth buildups, punchy drums, and gritty guitars. And Mikael Stanne is flawless as ever.

I actually think the remastered version thinned it out a hair too much, but it's not like they massacred it which has been known to happen.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.08.2021 - 21:59
(o> . )

Written by MeatWolf on 01.08.2021 at 15:42

Written by (o> . ) on 01.08.2021 at 00:02

But it was remastered in 2009?

Omg thanks, you're right. I'm so blind it was even on Spotify this whole time. I need to check it out how it fares. Pff, imagine googling if something you'd like exists... too hard for me apparently.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.08.2021 at 16:57

I don't think I've ever heard anyone take issue with the mix here before. I love the heavy bass and synth buildups, punchy drums, and gritty guitars. And Mikael Stanne is flawless as ever.

I actually think the remastered version thinned it out a hair too much, but it's not like they massacred it which has been known to happen.

Well, in all honesty, on my headphones the original mix is pretty good, a touch too boxy for my likings but that would be me nit-picking. I should've been more specific in that I want it to happen so it can sound good on my speakers as well, and sure a higher end speakers probably would've been a different story, but right now I don't have 'em.

I quickly compared it and the re-issue and my first impression is I like it more on the speakers because there's more high end energy present, making it sound not so dull on regular, nothing fancy at all speakers. Plus I can adjust the subwoofer.

As for headphone listening I might prefer the original, but right now I seldom listen to music exclusively, so having a different version that works well on speakers there, well, feels good.
11.10.2021 - 09:24
Redel

One of my all-time favourite MDM albums, rivals The Jester Race and only slightly outperformed by The Gallery.
What is utterly unfortunate for me with this album is that it is a tad too long with 12 songs and that three of these songs are subpar imo (The Enemy, White Noise, I Deception). These songs are not bad but compared to all the masterpiece songs up to and including Cathode Ray they just fall off. And the fact that these three songs are all placed together at the album's end (plus Ex Nihilo, which I enjoy a bit more) doesnt make it any better. Without these three songs the album is a straight 10 I think.
Dont get me wrong, it is an incredible album, probably around 9.3 for me. Just not quite the perfect album, I would love it to be.
11.10.2021 - 12:20
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by Redel on 11.10.2021 at 09:24

One of my all-time favourite MDM albums, rivals The Jester Race and only slightly outperformed by The Gallery.
What is utterly unfortunate for me with this album is that it is a tad too long with 12 songs and that three of these songs are subpar imo (The Enemy, White Noise, I Deception). These songs are not bad but compared to all the masterpiece songs up to and including Cathode Ray they just fall off. And the fact that these three songs are all placed together at the album's end (plus Ex Nihilo, which I enjoy a bit more) doesnt make it any better. Without these three songs the album is a straight 10 I think.
Dont get me wrong, it is an incredible album, probably around 9.3 for me. Just not quite the perfect album, I would love it to be.

It's one of those album's that I can listen to over again and never get bored of it, Final Resistance, Hours Passed In Exile, Cathode Ray Sunshine, Treason Wall, and Monochromatic Stains are all amongst my favourites, but the rest is great also, White Noise and The Enemy are the only two I would take out if I had too.
11.10.2021 - 12:32
musclassia

Written by Redel on 11.10.2021 at 09:24

Yeah, I'd agree that all of my favourite songs from this album are confined to the first 8 songs of the record; it's not that I don't like the other ones, but I can't really remember what they sound like off the top of my head (Ex Nihilo aside), so they just don't make the same intense impression the other tracks do. It's the one thing that gives Character a slight edge over this album for me, it's strongly memorable throughout the entire record
11.10.2021 - 13:23
Redel

Written by musclassia on 11.10.2021 at 12:32

It's the one thing that gives Character a slight edge over this album for me, it's strongly memorable throughout the entire record

Strangely that has never been the case for me. Today I find Character a good album, partly very good, some lower 8. But it has never been among my favourite albums and not been particularly memorable for me. But it seems that is primarily me.
22.02.2022 - 04:29
Rating: 8
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Finally got around to listening to this in full. It's fantastic! Great melodies throughout, just what one would expect from a melodeath masterpiece! Only main criticism is that it feels rather long because of the many songs, even though it's really only 47 minutes long.
Dark Tranquillity is growing on me... Now I need to return to The Gallery
By the way, does anyone know what the cover art depicts? I find it looks like a guy getting shot in the head, but I'm not sure
22.02.2022 - 06:32
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by F3ynman2000 on 22.02.2022 at 04:29

Finally got around to listening to this in full. It's fantastic! Great melodies throughout, just what one would expect from a melodeath masterpiece! Only main criticism is that it feels rather long because of the many songs, even though it's really only 47 minutes long.
Dark Tranquillity is growing on me... Now I need to return to The Gallery
By the way, does anyone know what the cover art depicts? I find it looks like a guy getting shot in the head, but I'm not sure

I'm glad you managed to listen to this album, it's one of my all time favourites, if you like this you will probably like their next album Character too.

Tbh I have no idea what the cover is, I thought at first it was an abstract stabwound or gunshot wound, but like you said, it kind of looks like someone being shot in the head.
03.03.2022 - 16:13
nonZero

Probably their best album after The Gallery. It's amazing the difference in sound between that album and this - simpler riffs and a much 'wider' sound.

9.1/10 for me - 'Monochromatic Stains', 'Single Part Of Two' and 'Cathode Ray Sunshine' are the standout songs. 'Final Resistance' and 'The Treason Wall' are both also great.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)

Hits total: 32707 | This month: 139