Metal Storm logo
Pantera

Original post

Posted by Darth Satanious, 18.05.2006 - 00:00
Coming from a style that some consider to be Glam, US Power Metal or just Heavy Metal (I haven't had the chance of actually listening to this period from the band) Pantera became a Groove Thrash metal band that told all those Grunge bands, that were taking over during the 90's, to fuck off, that Metal is alive and breathing. Their music, raw and in your face, has influenced several bands including many Nu Metal bands (often hated for that).

As we all know, the life of the guitar god Dimebag Darrell ended during a tragic incident where a son of a bitch killed him during a show of his other band Damageplan, in which he too played guitar along with his brother Vinnie Paul, in December 8th, 2004. Millions suffered his death back in those days and we all still do for he was a unique guitar palyer and person, as all the people who knew him acknowledge. He may not be with us in flesh but he will be alive forever through his music.

Here is their official thread.
30.06.2006 - 06:18
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
jeez, Phil turned 38 today. He's getting old.
01.07.2006 - 02:09
Troll
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 29.06.2006 at 16:09

Written by Guest on 29.06.2006 at 15:02

Written by Guest on 22.06.2006 at 02:12

I agree with those who think that much of the honours given to Pantera should belong actually to Exhorder... but well, I still like Pantera a bit more, Groovy Thrash as its best with the plus of having extraordinary riffs...

Fans of Pantera must check Battered, a Norwegian band born from the ashes of Einherjer... they just released their debut self-titled album and it's very worthy.

I saw Battered live in may and it wasn´t so much Pantera over it. Regular Hardcore/Thrash!!

well, I don't really think you make a whole picture of a band if you had only listened to it once and live... if you like Pantera, I would certainly recommend you to check the debut album of Battered.

Ok , I´ll check that record out! But I don´t expect any Pantera-sound!
But I hate when people compared bands with Pantera, cause nothing sounds like Pantera(ok, Exhorder is the only one!).
Always when there´s a new band who play Aggro, Metalcore, Thrash-, Nu-Metal they compare that shit with Pantera(Machine Head and Fear Factory too) and that´s shit!
01.07.2006 - 08:20
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.07.2006 at 02:09

Written by Guest on 29.06.2006 at 16:09

Written by Guest on 29.06.2006 at 15:02

Written by Guest on 22.06.2006 at 02:12

I agree with those who think that much of the honours given to Pantera should belong actually to Exhorder... but well, I still like Pantera a bit more, Groovy Thrash as its best with the plus of having extraordinary riffs...

Fans of Pantera must check Battered, a Norwegian band born from the ashes of Einherjer... they just released their debut self-titled album and it's very worthy.

I saw Battered live in may and it wasn´t so much Pantera over it. Regular Hardcore/Thrash!!

well, I don't really think you make a whole picture of a band if you had only listened to it once and live... if you like Pantera, I would certainly recommend you to check the debut album of Battered.

Ok , I´ll check that record out! But I don´t expect any Pantera-sound!
But I hate when people compared bands with Pantera, cause nothing sounds like Pantera(ok, Exhorder is the only one!).
Always when there´s a new band who play Aggro, Metalcore, Thrash-, Nu-Metal they compare that shit with Pantera(Machine Head and Fear Factory too) and that´s shit!

Battered DO sound like Pantera
01.07.2006 - 16:14
Sore Neck 101
Account deleted
For Starters IndianSteel, Vinnie Paul was Dimes brother not the frontman.

Bitter Cold, Phil claims to only have taken Heroin once in his life, and he died for a few seconds because of it. Phil suffers from major spinal problems where the coushin pads between his spinal sections are worn away causing major pain, So i think that the fact that he can still go onstage and perform shows how fucking tough he is! and if he looked off his face its because of the painkillers not heroin. He also needed to wear a back brace on stage.

He no longer uses any painkillers or drugs. He only takes vitamins to help his spine heal and is going under the knife to get it fixed.

I dont agree with Damageplan being more commercial. it was much more broad than the last few Pantera Albums and is well worth a listen for any Pantera fan.

Rebel Meets Rebel is also very good. i havent bought it yet but ive heard 'Nothin to lose' and snippets of other songs. They sound very good and have that Pantera like Riffs but has David Allan Coe on vocals so its quite country sounding too.

Vinnie Paul is still releasing material that they had done before Dime passed away. i Bought Dimevision Vol.1 last week which is much like the Pantera home videos but focused on Dime and its cool as.

To conclude, Dime was the man and always will be RIP
02.07.2006 - 04:05
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I was under the impression that he was addicted to heroin, or at least did it way more than once.
02.07.2006 - 08:07
Sore Neck 101
Account deleted
Nar not what he states in the interveiws iv seen and read. An old revolver was good, it had a special on the history of Pantera then a special interveiw with Phil where he let it all out.
03.07.2006 - 09:35
Valar
IndianSteel
Written by Guest on 01.07.2006 at 16:14

For Starters IndianSteel, Vinnie Paul was Dimes brother not the frontman.

Thanx man, i didnt realise the mistake, deleted the messege as a rectification.
Must Hv Completely lost my mind when i posted that messege.
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
03.07.2006 - 10:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 30.06.2006 at 06:18

jeez, Phil turned 38 today. He's getting old.

38 is NOT old, dammit.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.07.2006 - 17:19
Stigmatized
Written by Dangerboner on 02.07.2006 at 04:05

I was under the impression that he was addicted to heroin, or at least did it way more than once.

Actually, I think he was for a while there. It helped with his back pain so he could perform. Eventually he did to much and overdosed.
03.07.2006 - 22:13
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
@Ozman (Scarface)- lol sorry

@Dream_of_Hate- Yeah, I was watching some series of interviews on youtube and they made it seem like he used it more than once.
03.07.2006 - 23:55
Stigmatized
Written by Dangerboner on 03.07.2006 at 22:13

@Ozman (Scarface)- lol sorry

@Dream_of_Hate- Yeah, I was watching some series of interviews on youtube and they made it seem like he used it more than once.

Yeah, I think it just got worse over time and it eventually got him.
04.07.2006 - 08:06
Sore Neck 101
Account deleted
Well i just spat out what he stated in his interveiw is all fellas... and i have no reason not to believe him
04.07.2006 - 15:30
Stigmatized
Written by Guest on 04.07.2006 at 08:06

Well i just spat out what he stated in his interveiw is all fellas... and i have no reason not to believe him

I know, and I was just going by what I heard. I've heard several sides to it and maybe I misinterpreted Phil's words.....
04.07.2006 - 19:51
nick35
Account deleted
dimebag one of the greates guitar players alive. a full blown tribute to pantera and dimebag right nopw on guitar every pantera song i know
04.07.2006 - 21:49
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 04.07.2006 at 19:51

dimebag one of the greates guitar players alive.

Are you sure? This guy knows something we all don't.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.07.2006 - 09:27
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Written by Lucas on 04.07.2006 at 21:49

Written by Guest on 04.07.2006 at 19:51

dimebag one of the greates guitar players alive.

Are you sure? This guy knows something we all don't.

Hahaha, lets hope he's right aswell
----

Hellcunt Smurf
05.07.2006 - 10:05
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
lmao I didn't catch that until now.
05.07.2006 - 10:05
King Antichrist
Account deleted
Pantera were an amazing band. One of, if not the best thrash offering. Though it's annoying now that Dimebag is dead that all these losers pop up out of the floorboards with their "OMG R.I.P DIMEBAG" and claiming to be huge fans. I mean fair enough, he was a brilliant and innovative guitarist, and a legend in the metal scene, but it's been a couple of years now, we all know he's dead, and we all know he was a legend, let it go people. He deserved adulation but not the point of pure blatant flattery. Anyway, Pantera are great, I've got their post 1990 albums and it's good stuff, not really interested in the earlier stuff to be honest though.
05.07.2006 - 10:07
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Shit, people still do that to Chuck Schuldner.
05.07.2006 - 12:53
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
@King Antichrist.

Let the people who want to pay their respect to him do it man. I mean, I still owe Quorthon big time, and I still sometimes thank him for Black and Viking. And if I want to do that, why shouldn't I?
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.07.2006 - 13:00
King Antichrist
Account deleted
It's not so much the fact that people do it, it's where it comes from. Little emo faggots claiming to be Pantera's biggest fan simply because their guitarist died.
And yes, we all know he's dead, no point alerting us in forum signatures etc. Pay your respects in private if you haven't had enough time to in the last 2 years.
05.07.2006 - 13:08
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
It'd say, use the 'ignore' button. Or turn signatures off.
----

05.07.2006 - 13:49
King Antichrist
Account deleted
Or people could simply realise the man died 2 years ago and there's nothing left to say
05.07.2006 - 14:07
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
As a fan of Pantera and with all respect for Dimebag ... it to annoys me that bands and people keep going on about it. Its been two years now and people keep bringing it up. Enjoy what hes given us and stop reminding us that hes gone. Sounds a little harsh and yes im a big fan of Pantera, but move on, its life
----

Hellcunt Smurf
05.07.2006 - 19:36
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Yes, that could be true and all, but well, his heritage is big, so why shouldn't we keep him in memory?

Actually, I think we should stop this shit as it is pointless and fuck, and we wont agree anyway. What 'bout you?
----

06.07.2006 - 09:38
Sore Neck 101
Account deleted
Im with the Nervel miester, we're right and you guys are just wrong so we'll leave it at that k dudes?
15.07.2006 - 21:02
Tobias P
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 20.06.2006 at 12:54

Written by Guest on 23.05.2006 at 02:31

Written by Guest on 18.05.2006 at 20:37

What the fuck is going on in this motherfucking world.Dime is dead,Quorthon is dead,Piggy is dead.What is going be the next thing that will happen?

Peopel die, is a part of life, yes it is sad, but you can't do much against. And yes they (Piggy and Dimebag, don't know who Quorthon is) was to young to die.

Anyway Pantera get to much credit for making the groove sound, Exhorder is a band that played some fucking great music (the only released two cds).

Yeah Yeah, Exhorder is good and they were probobly before Pantera too. But Pantera=Gods!
And I really recommend Exhorder's Slaughter In The Vatican and The Law to everyone who loves Pantera.

Pantera's Power Metal is not that far from Cowboys...

All I know is that Cowboys from hell came som few months before Slaughter in the Vatican, but then again Exhorder can have played some shows and haven't got any record deal, Pantera see them and think, hell yeah llets paly something like that.
Phil is a fan of exhorder (I have seen som old footage where he weres a exhorder t-shirt.´). You can he that on the voice too.
19.08.2006 - 20:23
Valar
IndianSteel
20th August....Remebering A Guitar God Who Was, Dimebag Darrel....
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
19.08.2006 - 21:37
tattootildeath
Account deleted
i feel absolutely blessed to have seen dime play 4 times. man, pantera are icons, and there is a reason for that.....they are all wicked musicians, tight as hell!
20.08.2006 - 02:34
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
You lucky bastard! I wish I could have seen them once! That most likely won't happen...unless Zakk plays with them like he said he wanted to. I doubt that Phil and Vinny can make up though so my chances of seeing them live are very slim.