Metal Storm logo
Pantera

Original post

Posted by Darth Satanious, 18.05.2006 - 00:00
Coming from a style that some consider to be Glam, US Power Metal or just Heavy Metal (I haven't had the chance of actually listening to this period from the band) Pantera became a Groove Thrash metal band that told all those Grunge bands, that were taking over during the 90's, to fuck off, that Metal is alive and breathing. Their music, raw and in your face, has influenced several bands including many Nu Metal bands (often hated for that).

As we all know, the life of the guitar god Dimebag Darrell ended during a tragic incident where a son of a bitch killed him during a show of his other band Damageplan, in which he too played guitar along with his brother Vinnie Paul, in December 8th, 2004. Millions suffered his death back in those days and we all still do for he was a unique guitar palyer and person, as all the people who knew him acknowledge. He may not be with us in flesh but he will be alive forever through his music.

Here is their official thread.
06.09.2006 - 21:11
Baz Anderson

haha yes it is pretty big, but remember 'Cowboys From Hell' wasnt their first album
16.09.2006 - 10:36
Sore Neck 101
Account deleted
Oooops yes a slight slip of the mind.

But still phew
16.09.2006 - 19:33
Grindcore

Written by Baz Anderson on 06.09.2006 at 21:11

but remember 'Cowboys From Hell' wasnt their first album

You can call it the first.I don't think that the styl;e that they played before could bring them such popularity
16.09.2006 - 19:38
Baz Anderson

well no, but the first Behemoth album was a black metal kinda album and now they play death metal - but their first album is still their first album

'Cowboys From Hell' is the first utterly brilliant album though
29.09.2006 - 03:18
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 29.08.2006 at 05:06

To me this is band that could of simply never existed.I think this band did absolutely nothing as far as the metal world is concerned,other than release crappy music,that became somewhat famous,and influenced more crappy bands to come.

Wow.

Pantera's "Far Beyond Driven" became the first metal album ever to debut at #1 on the charts in the US. And it did so without any compromise and at a metal in which metal (outside of 'extreme' genres) was pretty much on life support.

You are entitled to your opinion regarding their musical output, but you are just dead wrong in any discussion regarding their impact.

Having lived it - having seen them in their heyday and having been heavily into metal in the early 90's (back when you where what, 3?) I appreciate what they did for the genre as a whole...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
29.09.2006 - 03:55
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Dammit dude. We just stopped arguing with that guy.
29.09.2006 - 09:17
Winter Death
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 29.09.2006 at 03:18

Written by Guest on 29.08.2006 at 05:06

To me this is band that could of simply never existed.I think this band did absolutely nothing as far as the metal world is concerned,other than release crappy music,that became somewhat famous,and influenced more crappy bands to come.

Wow.

Pantera's "Far Beyond Driven" became the first metal album ever to debut at #1 on the charts in the US. And it did so without any compromise and at a metal in which metal (outside of 'extreme' genres) was pretty much on life support.

You are entitled to your opinion regarding their musical output, but you are just dead wrong in any discussion regarding their impact.

Having lived it - having seen them in their heyday and having been heavily into metal in the early 90's (back when you where what, 3?) I appreciate what they did for the genre as a whole...

Owned.
29.09.2006 - 14:37
Sore Neck 101
Account deleted
i wish i had seen them live or even been into them whilst they were together or dime had been alive.... damn you mother for not rooting earlier lol
30.09.2006 - 16:31
Twist
Twisted Kid
Yeah,I've seen live videos of Pantera...Tight stuff. I think that Pantera was the most important metal band of the 90's (with Death). There's something magical about their music.
----
Is this where we suffer LOL
03.10.2006 - 04:51
Jeremus
Account deleted
HHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!I heard a rumor that Pantera was going to reunite with Zakk Wylde taking over for Dime. Anybody heard anything about this? I really hope that they don't.
03.10.2006 - 05:52
Sore Neck 101
Account deleted
they wouldnt, you think vinnie would ever get back in speaking terms with phil? You think Zakk would ever try and replace his best friend lol those rumours have been goin round for ages
04.10.2006 - 00:14
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
yeah, I've also heard about that. I hope it happens, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't
04.10.2006 - 10:27
Winter Death
Account deleted
^^^ It really wouldn't make a lot of sense to continue that bands legacy on in that fashion. A tribute would be acceptable though.
04.10.2006 - 17:05
Jeremus
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.10.2006 at 05:52

they wouldnt, you think vinnie would ever get back in speaking terms with phil? You think Zakk would ever try and replace his best friend lol those rumours have been goin round for ages

yeah, that's why i hope it doesn't.
04.10.2006 - 20:50
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Just another rumour. Vinnie cant stand Anselmo. I think that says it all. I also hope it doenst happen.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.10.2006 - 21:23
Baz Anderson

haha yes. me too. i cant stand Zakk, i think he is such a big headed idiot
Phil and Vinnie would have problems.. it just wont happen

there was news probably over a year agi now that there was going to be a second Damageplan album, as they had recoreded a bunch of stuff before that infamous night
havent heard any more of that though...
04.10.2006 - 21:39
Lucas
Mr. Noise
And what would that concert be?

A weak rip-off, of dead heroes. I for sure wouldn't go there.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.10.2006 - 21:52
Baz Anderson

well Vinnie said it would be 'what Dimebag would have wanted'
he knows him more then anyone else..
05.10.2006 - 01:13
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
If it did happen, I think they should change their name. Pantera isn't Pantera without all of the members.

Zakk is fuckin awesome though so I'm sure they would be able to make good music.

Edit: Shit, I just noticed that there are 2 pumpkin avatars
05.10.2006 - 18:57
Baz Anderson

yes definatly, if something was to come from the ashes of Pantera it would have to be called something different
it would probably sound quite different to Pantera too without Dimebag

haha yes.
i have had a few different pumpkin avatars over the last year or so though
ive been on this site quite a long time now but i still remember all the avatars i had (i think anyway)
i would only get annoyed if someone went and just used mine that i made as theirs (which thankfully doesnt happen on this site)
06.10.2006 - 01:41
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I mentioned that because you and Winter Death both have pumpkin avatars now.
06.10.2006 - 08:35
Winter Death
Account deleted
^^^ yeah... I wanted my previous avatar back from my old profile on this site. I had to start anew when the forums got revamped because I couldn't access my old email account to log in. Hell, I even used the same name pretty much. Old: WinterDeath. New: Winter Death.

On a Pantera note: Personal conflicts aside, I think it would be a cool project for Zakk and the remaining Pantera boys to get together to play some old songs. As long as Zakk remains true to his playing (is this even in question?), I think there would be some shredding results.
13.10.2006 - 13:52
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Ah, such a shame what happened happened, these guys were awesome at their peak.
14.10.2006 - 05:06
Unholy_Emperor

Dimebag was awesome but the singer's actitude wasn't particulary good.

Not of my fauvorites but still good.
14.10.2006 - 05:08
Winter Death
Account deleted
You're right that Phil's attitude wasn't good in the least. That's what made him memorable and so very metal.
14.10.2006 - 07:58
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I like Phil's personality. Granted, I don't like it when he insults people without justification, but all the other stuff he does is badass. Like, when he cusses out the security guards and threatens to stop playing when they are on the verge of throwing a fan out. It's just cool that there is someone left in the world that speaks his mind and doesn't give a shit about being politically correct. Take Dave Mustaine for example.
14.10.2006 - 10:38
Winter Death
Account deleted
Exactly. It seems people have become afraid and offended by people who are not cookie-cutter fluffy entertainers, even in the metal world. People need to get back in touch with what metal is really about and rediscover the pair of balls between their legs. We need more musicians like Phil.
14.10.2006 - 12:27
Unholy_Emperor

Ahah, the perfect icon for that is Lemmy.
16.10.2006 - 05:44
Sore Neck 101
Account deleted
I agree, phil was a great frontman and thats what these nu metal bands dont have, balls.... they dont have ppl that dont give a fuck... fucking emo's
22.10.2006 - 02:52
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
I was reading in Wikipedia and I came across some information that assures that Vinnie is currently working in a new project along other known musicians. It doesn't say much, it just names the musicians that are supposedly involved in the new band. These are the ones that are mentioned there:

Chad Gray (Mudvayne) - Vocals
Greg Tribbett (Mudvayne) - Guitar
Tom Maxwell (Nothingface) - Guitar
Jerry Montano (Danzig, Nothingface) - Bass
Vinnie Paul Abbott (Pantera, Damageplan) - Drums

Seeing Chad on vocals seemed to me as a good choice for I have always seen him as a very talented and promising vocalist but having Greg in guitars is something that does not leave me too enthusiastic I have to say.
----
Christless