03. Santiago
04. Alayna
05. Forevermore
06. Pilgrim Road
07. In Paradisum
08. Rhapsody In Black
09. I Walk In Neon
10. Don't Let Me Go

Well, it looks like we get two Stratovarius releases this year. There really is no other way to describe this new Timo Tolkki project. Sure, calling it a "ripoff" would be far from the truth, as the main man from this band is the one who pretty much established Stratovarius' sound, so let's just go with "uninspired".

One would think after the widely publicized soap opera that went on regarding Tolkki's departure from Stratovarius, he would be hungry to reinvent himself, or at least try and challenge himself in a new direction of some kind. Hell, he's an accomplished musician, maybe even out-doing his old band at their own game could have been a possibility. Nope! Not only does this sound like a creation of someone who is seriously caught in a rut, but it lacks most of the redeeming qualities of his previous work - it's not nearly as catchy, doesn't have the same depth built around the keyboard-guitar dual harmonies, and lacks any real definite climax.

I honestly wish there was some way to describe this without constantly bringing up Stratovarius comparisons, but that's all this really sounds like; Stratovarius' weakest moments compiled into one album. The only remotely significant difference is the vocalist, who is another warm, super-melodic power metal sound we can hear from Mr.Kotipelto (even if they do have drastically different timbres.)

Fans of Timo Tolkki will probably be divided on this one, as In Paradisum undeniably has his thumb print on it. Some will enjoy hearing his signature style again, others will be disappointed in the lack of evolution. No real surprises here.

Written on 23.04.2011 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Guest review by
Nemo Atkins
Rating:
I really hate to tear apart albums which helped shape my musical direction. I really do. This was my first power metal album and, when I was working on my dad's boat, it was one of the few albums I kept constantly replaying, just because of how much I enjoyed listening to it. If it wasn't for this album, my interest in metal would likely have not happened. But I feel I must be honest with myself and say that this album, with the benefit of over a year and a half worth of power metal listening, is really not that great.

Read more ››
published 25.01.2013 | Comments (1)

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 34   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 359 users
19.11.2011 - 15:50
RavenKing

Written by sepulkisser on 19.11.2011 at 06:08

Pathetic review....

One album with Andre Matos and Timo Tolkki always will be Awesome!!

Fuck the haters.... LONG LIVE SYMFONIA!!!

Am I spotting a pathetic Flowermetal fanboy?
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
20.11.2011 - 03:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by RavenKing on 19.11.2011 at 15:50
Am I spotting a pathetic Flowermetal fanboy?

No, he's more like...a metal fanboy. Like every band, all he does is tear through the forums leaving incredibly positive remarks about how it's the best band he's ever listened to, etc.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.12.2011 - 07:15
Rating: 4
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by iMorphball on 23.04.2011 at 14:38

I personally think he should give up. Two crappy Revolution Renaissance albums, and now this? No more, please.

I think he just did.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
07.12.2011 - 08:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Doc G. on 07.12.2011 at 07:15
I think he just did.

I hope it was your fault. Just think of all the fanboys nerdraging on you.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 8010 | This month: 7