Metal Storm logo
Then and Now - How Your Musical Taste(s) Has Changed

10.05.2011 - 03:49
JCJen7

I was just wondering how everyone elses' musical tastes have changed since they joined their sight, and what are your first comments on this sight pertaining to?
I ask this because I was looking over my earliest posts (which were only about a year ago!) and snickering to myself at how much I have changed. My first posts were on a Megadeth vs Metallica thread, and I am embaressed to have ever said what I did LOL. I was basically argueing that the only decent Megadeth albums were Killing is My Business and Rust in Peace, while Metallica was far superior. Today, about a year later, I don't know if I could decide which band I like better.

Also, one year ago, I had never even heard of black metal, doom metal, sludge metal, I though melodic death metal was the same thing as folk metal, and the only death metal band I could name was Cannibal Corpse, and I thought they were laughably bad.

My tastes have obviously changed, I am still not a big doom or sludge metal fan, but I really enjoy some good 90's melodic dm, the occasional black metal, and I really enjoy death metal.

So, looking back at your earliest posts on this website, how has your musical tastes changed since than? Did you make any arguments that you now consider ridiculous?
(I would like to apologize to Doc Godin, as I believe that is who I was trying to convice that Megadeth were a subpar band )

(P.S. - If this thread has already been made, I am sorry, I couldn't find it. Simply delete it, and maybe link me to the original if you'd be so kind.)
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
10.05.2011 - 04:37
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Metalstorm hasn't altered my tastes that much. Metal Archives was the first metal website I joined(and the first I got banned from... ), so I was pretty well versed in metal by the time I joined MS. Of course, I do love MS, and looking at peoples favorite bands has yielded some great finds, Enrochian Crescent being my favorite band that I found from scanning MS members profile's.

EDIT: If I knew you in person, I would strangle you for calling Megadeth a subpar band. That being said, it's nice to see people my age who actually know anything about metal.
10.05.2011 - 05:18
Guib
Thrash Talker
Omg, I discovered so much on MS, tons of new bands, new sounds... new genres.. and underground jewels that I would've probly never heard if it wasn't for this website, so if my tastes changed since I joined ? Fuck yeah it did... Here, I discovered sludge... technical death.. Doom... underground thrash bands and the new-wave of modern thrash... I also heard my first Baroness song on here.. my first Kylesa song, my first Cryptopsy ... my first alot of fucking things. I knew metal before obviously, but ms perfected this knowledge. Im glad I joined.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
10.05.2011 - 05:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
My tastes haven't changed terribly much. i finally clicked with doom metal and uncovered some sludge stuff. aside from that the best thing the site has done is expand my knowledge of bands within genres i listened to... shit i would definitely have missed on my own. before i glossed over genres, checked out the 'cream of the crop.'

my first post was about Meshuggah.

i suppose the single best thing the site did for me was re-spark my interest in metal. so much mediocrity came out in the late 90s in the genres i listen(ed) to that i just stopped buying metal (aside from Morbid Angel's releases) and was content just to listen to the cds i had already accumulated. (Samael's "passage" was a weird, out of the blue purchase during this period... love that album as well). MS helped rekindle that interest.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.05.2011 - 06:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
So much for me. There's a small handful of bands I discovered outside of MS, but a small ratio in contrast to the bands I discovered through MS. I'll have to come back to this question, try and compose a list of bands I knew before vs bands I discovered through MS.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.05.2011 - 06:35
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by JCJen7 on 10.05.2011 at 03:49

(I would like to apologize to Doc Godin, as I believe that is who I was trying to convice that Megadeth were a subpar band )

Meh, I think I was a Megadeth fanboy at one point or another anyways. They've had some amazing albums, and a number of subpar ones.
----
- George Carlin
10.05.2011 - 07:23
JCJen7

Written by burnthepriest on 10.05.2011 at 07:14

Its funny cuz when i was young i cant remember what i was listening to prob some gay shit . Then my brother got out of prison and his SS ass showed me metallica , slayer , pantera i thank him now cuz it has opened so many bands to me and always will be a Lamb of god fan .

You never mentioned what your first post was about!
----

CHECK THESE OUT
10.05.2011 - 07:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by JCJen7 on 10.05.2011 at 07:23

Its funny cuz when i was young i cant remember what i was listening to prob some gay shit . Then my brother got out of prison and his SS ass showed me metallica , slayer , pantera i thank him now cuz it has opened so many bands to me and always will be a Lamb of god fan .

Lol. Look at his post count.
----
- George Carlin
10.05.2011 - 08:58
JCJen7

Written by Doc G. on 10.05.2011 at 07:26

----

CHECK THESE OUT
10.05.2011 - 12:24
Storchillarn

Written by JCJen7 on 10.05.2011 at 08:58

Written by Doc G. on 10.05.2011 at 07:26

HAHA! That was damn funny.. I laughed hard.

I think I might have found a couple of new bands here on MS but I can't remember which because I think I started using Last.fm about the same time. Speaking of musical evolution, though, I think I know how it went for me: The Offspring (and other skatepunk bands) >> AC/DC >> Iron Maiden & Metallica, Megadeth >> Slipknot, In Flames, Trivium, Pantera (and other radio friendly bands, a lot of metalcore) >> Dream Theater, Symphony X (and other Progressive Metal bands) >> Opeth >> All kinds of stuff, a lot of non-metal.

Bear in mind it's not 100% accurate. Feel free to judge. =)
10.05.2011 - 16:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Well, I was wandering through metalstorm a few months before getting an account. At that time I was mostly into power metal and melodic stuff in general. Metal Storm helped me a lot to get into the extreme side of the metal scheme. Now I listen to mostly Doom, Black, Death and grindcore and I own all that to this site since I discovered the "easy" bands first and got a huge load of recommendations.

Hell. I'll bet I discovered 2/3 of my favorite bands thanks to this site.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.05.2011 - 16:35
BloodTears
ANA-thema
When I started coming to MS, I didn't even know most of what was out there, I knew Metallica, Iron Maiden and that was pretty much it. I didn't even start with progressive metal, which later become my favourite "genre". In fact, before I started getting all geeky about prog, I was into doom. Anathema was a big part of that. I even wrote a lot of doom songs myself when I started playing guitar.

Then I started discovering all these great bands thanks to MS. It definitely shaped my knowledge in terms of metal and it gave me the opportunity to listen to all these different albums. It basically opened up a new world for me.

Thank you MS Gods.

As for the changes, well I have to say I became a lot more open-minded about music in general and I also became much more demanding with the albums and bands I listened to. As for genres themselves, I've always been a bit everywhere, it comes and goes, but my core interests are still the same.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
10.05.2011 - 17:05
Andre

Hey, pretty neat and interesting thread dude!

Yeah, now that look at it. It has changed drastically.
Back in 2003 when I got really hooked into collecting, researching and exploring metal - I had tried lots of shit. Like COF, COB, Slipknot (shitty I know). But now, not only I like bands that are far much developed, but also I pay a lot of attention to new comers and pioneers. For example, back then I would ignore bands like Lake of Tears, Lacrimosa. But now, when you give a genre you least like, sometimes it gives you some nice vibe and a change of scenario.

Now I listen to thrash, black, melodic death and mixed genres.
Oh yeah I gotta mention, Follow the Storm was the most coolest compilation discs. I have some of the albums as audio-cd burnt on my pc. Bands like Quo Vadis have become my fav.

\m/
10.05.2011 - 23:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 10.05.2011 at 16:35

, I was into doom.

As for the changes, well I have to say I became a lot more open-minded about music in general and I also became much more demanding with the albums and bands I listened to. As for genres themselves, I've always been a bit everywhere, it comes and goes, but my core interests are still the same.

Arnt you into doom nowdays

Well same here Im lil open mindet

Whhen I stary here I was like concervative(and half alcoholic ) , I know those traditional TV bands but lil underground like Saturnus, Mocturnus, Jeff Healey Band, and those classic staff what I herad on sat radio (planete rock, total rock, rock anthene and some other radios) + I remeber looking to old muisc magazines, listen radio who was specaly made to catch forener stations, Headbangers Ball, MCM Top Metal, Viva Polska - Hells Kitchen, Ocko madhouse and so on
I start whit gothmetal. net doom-metal.com and BRN metal and ANUS and blackmetalradio then was MS so I know lil woow there is underground, metal is not dead how ppl talk, but 1th time I follow MS bands but I start my own journey into MA and didnt care about MS bands, I know them well, I check new bands, lyrics and so on rewiew bands, but for em I have my own style and bands what I like and dont like, I hardly read rewiews and never ever any rewiew makes me like band, I need hear my self, so ..............
..........time has passes, well I dont know how Im changes, I like maybe something, I dont like something but those are small changes, only big is in old days I listen every metal, (when I make my journey via MA, I finished ok USA left but Im dealing) now if there is bad quality sopund I dont and now I dont watch videos if they are week, like for example new Danzig ju ju stick (( I replay song), but lets say The 69 Eyes ''wasting a dawn'' I would watch n replay many times

And now I dont read do much lyrics, I have no time and I also dont follow so much to all disco, I run true fast, no time for all
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.05.2011 - 23:18
ANGEL REAPER

Well as far as my tastes ....since the time when I registered here a lot have changed....Back in the days only metal bands i enjoyed were Iron Maiden ,Nightwish,HIM(wtf?),Rammsten (wtf?#2),and dimmu Borgir's latest works of that days and was realy into Hammerfall shit.....
Since that years have passed ,i got older and my tastes are really have changed....first a lot of bands that I liked in those days are boring today (Hammerfall)....second I started to enjoy more extreme bands like Bathory,Burzum,Arch Enemy,early DB's stuff,Death and a helluva shit of good albums by various bands....
and third i finally overgrown that fanboy shit of that days... Now i relly like more old underground scene(Hellhammer)
so i am the case of Hammerfall to Hellhammer transition......
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
10.05.2011 - 23:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 10.05.2011 at 23:18

Well as far as my tastes ....since the time when I registered here a lot have changed....Back in the days only metal bands i enjoyed were Iron Maiden ,Nightwish,HIM(wtf?),Rammsten (wtf?#2),and dimmu Borgir's latest works of that days and was realy into Hammerfall shit.....
Since that years have passed ,i got older and my tastes are really have changed....first a lot of bands that I liked in those days are boring today (Hammerfall)....second I started to enjoy more extreme bands like Bathory,Burzum,Arch Enemy,early DB's stuff,Death and a helluva shit of good albums by various bands....
and third i finally overgrown that fanboy shit of that days... Now i relly like more old underground scene(Hellhammer)

redaing this I remeber I like power metal, but last 6 years for me its boring whit some exeptions
----

apos;'
[image]
10.05.2011 - 23:29
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Bad English on 10.05.2011 at 23:27

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 10.05.2011 at 23:18

redaing this I remeber I like power metal, but last 6 years for me its boring whit some exeptions

yes i agree ....but as i said....i now dont like the power metal in general (dunno why).....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
10.05.2011 - 23:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 10.05.2011 at 23:29

yes i agree ....but as i said....i now dont like the power metal in general (dunno why).....

because its not a metal its to pop
----

apos;'
[image]
10.05.2011 - 23:36
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Bad English on 10.05.2011 at 23:32

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 10.05.2011 at 23:29

because its not a metal its to pop

you know you couldn't be more wright on this one
----
11.05.2011 - 00:37
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
I started getting into more death metal and power metal when I joined this site.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
11.05.2011 - 03:18
MetalSpider

I think when I first joined Metalstorm, I was listening to bands like CoB, InFlames and even Dark Tranquility, plus Iron Maiden, Metallica as well as a lot more radio rock stuff like Godsmack and the like.

Metalstorm, along with Metal Archives, definitely introduced me to a lot of different styles of metal and many different bands thats for sure.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
11.05.2011 - 05:36
JCJen7

Written by Guest on 10.05.2011 at 04:37

Metalstorm hasn't altered my tastes that much. Metal Archives was the first metal website I joined(and the first I got banned from... ), so I was pretty well versed in metal by the time I joined MS. Of course, I do love MS, and looking at peoples favorite bands has yielded some great finds, Enrochian Crescent being my favorite band that I found from scanning MS members profile's.

EDIT: If I knew you in person, I would strangle you for calling Megadeth a subpar band. That being said, it's nice to see people my age who actually know anything about metal.

You *would have strangled me*. I love Megadeth now, I saw them live and they rocked. They just took more time for me to appreciate than Metallica, and my first comments on this sight happened to be in the gray (grey? I have never understood how to spell it) area between beginning to listen to them, and enjoying the music.
----

CHECK THESE OUT
11.05.2011 - 06:02
wormdrink414

If I could go back and meet 2008 wormdrink (formerly lailaihei) I'd have to punch him repeatedly in the gut. Followed by a swift uppercut to the jaw. Probably a couple bitch slaps too. Yeah. Definitely a few of those. Thrash definitely doesn't suck, there's some decent metalcore, there's a lot of black metal that I now enjoy, and a whole lot of stoner metal that I love. Pretty much hated all of the above before I had even listened to them. Oh, and maybe folk metal isn't the most innovative genre out there...

Above all else though, MS has kinda whooped my conceptions of good writing in the ass. A lot of what I considered vulgar is actually a whole lot more insightful and fun to read than the pseudo-academic, flowery sentence stuff I used to admire. A good metaphor or joke sodomizes the big Latin-rooted adjectives. That's something I'm really only now realizing. Mostly from reading reviews and attempting to write reviews myself.

Old stuff I've posted that I regret posting? Almost all of it. A couple of my reviews are especially bad (including one that I posted at the beginning of this year for a Clutch album... makes me want to hide). Nothing that a few beers and some Suffocation can't fix though.
11.05.2011 - 06:51
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by JCJen7 on 11.05.2011 at 05:36

Written by Guest on 10.05.2011 at 04:37

You *would have strangled me*. I love Megadeth now, I saw them live and they rocked. They just took more time for me to appreciate than Metallica, and my first comments on this sight happened to be in the gray (grey? I have never understood how to spell it) area between beginning to listen to them, and enjoying the music.

Nah, I'd still strangle you just for the hell of it.
11.05.2011 - 07:32
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Hmmm I'm not sure how much metalstorm has helped in my musical growth, but as far as i remember I heard blind guardian and googled them to find out about the band, and metalstorm was one of the sites that popped up. So thats when i registered here and started checking out the forum and bands. Back then there used to be this MS compilation, which were then very underground bands, some of them have gone on to become big acts and some of them disappeared, but i did find quite a few cool bands on there. Anyway most of my musical taste can be attributed to last fm, as i have found many artists i like on there and through a few groups on there.
As for the change in my musical taste. I used to listen to led zep, purple and floyd back in middle/high school and then i found GnR, judas priest, maiden and metallica. But i never really got into metal then. But when i graduated from high school i found blind guardian's nightfall in middle earth album on one of my brothers cd's. From then on it was pretty much a gradual change from loads of power metal and then to thrash and NWOBHM, then i had this period of only tech death metal, from there its been alot of post rock/metal, sludge, doom which is still pretty much what i listen to now days.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
11.05.2011 - 16:37
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Bad English on 10.05.2011 at 23:16

Written by BloodTears on 10.05.2011 at 16:35

, I was into doom.

Arnt you into doom nowdays

I still listen to doom but only a few selections. Not like before. I got a bit disenchanted with it.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
11.05.2011 - 19:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 11.05.2011 at 16:37

I still listen to doom but only a few selections. Not like before. I got a bit disenchanted with it.

for me it never hepened and never willl, I better die
----

apos;'
[image]
11.05.2011 - 20:40
Ag Fox
Angel No More
When I registered, I only knew a handful of bands:
Metallica, Within Temptation, Kamelot, Epica, Avantasia, To-Mera and Children Of Bodom.

Now I don't know how many bands I know these days, but all I know is that MS encouraged me to explore and learn about many different sub-genres within metal and I'm glad to have found it. It not only changed my taste, but also the way I listen to music and purchasing habits.
----
loves 小巫
11.05.2011 - 23:02
XV535Virago

Don't really remember. Guess it came with the age, but in a weird way. When my friends started listening to ..let's say ..pop-rock, i switched to black metal and stuff.
----
True norwegian Dimmu Burger : zero tolerance to pickles must be issued!
12.05.2011 - 00:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by XV535Virago on 11.05.2011 at 23:02

Don't really remember. Guess it came with the age, but in a weird way. When my friends started listening to ..let's say ..pop-rock, i switched to black metal and stuff.

hmm yes age and visdom, expierience comes whit an age
But for me well its funny see ppl who's been in m,etal at age 16 stop be at age 20 , hair , leather exchanged to suit and bank office .... I never changed, since 16 I saw old man who's my friend he's my age looks 10 years older who works at bank, I saw himn last time last year and then only at agte 19, I did not recognise him, he recogbise me, he thought he saw a ghosts, since Im sae, same hair, face, cloths .... so I never changing
----

apos;'
[image]