Which one? and why?

Viking
Oriental
Both suck, I'm a poser.

Total votes: 39
11.05.2011 - 15:27
JD
Account deleted
What do you prefer the most between these two as an Influence\Folklore in metal? Each one has a different kind of sound, and some weird instruments, for me I'll go with "Oriental" I really enjoy it.
11.05.2011 - 16:45
Yavanna

Vikings, hell yeah
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
11.05.2011 - 17:42
ANGEL REAPER

Viking....somehow i dont like oriental melodies and metal mixed together...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
11.05.2011 - 17:54
Tranquillizer
Account deleted
Oriental, a close one, but i prefer something more exotic sounding
12.05.2011 - 22:45
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Of course Viking. It sounds better, and it is more "metal" than oriental. Also, I don't remember hearing of oriental influenced bands as good as bands like Ensiferum.
21.10.2011 - 00:31
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Difficult call... I like both a lot! However, I have to go with viking, because it has a gigantic effect on metal. It's already an independent genre. Oriental metal, on the other hand, has to grow a lot to become like viking metal.
21.10.2011 - 16:33
Vikingr

I of course must go with Viking since I'm a Viking at heart. Anyone who disagree's will mysteriously have their town pillaged the shit out of xD
21.10.2011 - 18:17
Bulletdodger

Oriental, Viking is becoming, scratch that, has become a cliche. Oriental offers more variety.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
22.10.2011 - 14:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Bulletdodger on 21.10.2011 at 18:17

Oriental, Viking is becoming, scratch that, has become a cliche. Oriental offers more variety.

Same here... Viking is really a cliche now. Bands like Melechesh, Absu, Orphaned Land on the other hand are really damn talented with wonderful compositions..
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.10.2011 - 15:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
What is oriental, what diod you mean

all are good if its orginal
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.10.2011 - 20:07
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 22.10.2011 at 15:18

What is oriental, what diod you mean

all are good if its orginal

By oriental he means middle-eastern/Egyptian sounding bands like Nile, Melechesh, Orphaned Land and Arkan.
25.10.2011 - 20:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
OK then no doubt I vote for viking, I like medle east but I prefere viking more they stay closer to roots and more metal how avangarde and prog sound
----

apos;'
[image]
04.11.2019 - 23:56
All Metal

I don't care for the non-western sound. It is alien to me and I care less for it only done in an official context if on topic for the song.
09.11.2019 - 09:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Viking is not a genre, its a tittle to bands what plays bm, dom and sings about vikings and heaten . Pagan can be also prefix,
I cant stand any kind oriental sound, its weird all that sun, warm, and weird feeling what comes from mid east dont fitts to me,
Folk music, folklore, german, celtic, slavic, baldtic, svandinavian its my type, I love old folk songs, neo folk, emdieval sounding, Europeain thing, I was born and grow up here , its my thing
----

apos;'
[image]
06.11.2021 - 19:20
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
I don't know much about oriental, so I will have to go with what I'm familiar with, and that's Viking metal.
06.11.2021 - 19:31
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
The thing with asian folk is that a band with chinese folk influences sounds different than a band with middle-eastern influences, which sounds different than a band with japanese influences, which sounds different than a band with korean..

As for viking and scandinavian folk, they all sound about the same, lol.

Since I'm a fan of variety I vote for oriental
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
06.11.2021 - 19:43
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by Karlabos on 06.11.2021 at 19:31

The thing with asian folk is that a band with chinese folk influences sounds different than a band with middle-eastern influences, which sounds different than a band with japanese influences, which sounds different than a band with korean..

As for viking and scandinavian fol, they all sound about the same, lol.

I must start listening to more oriental metal then.
06.11.2021 - 20:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 06.11.2021 at 19:43

Written by Karlabos on 06.11.2021 at 19:31

As for viking and scandinavian fol, they all sound about the same, lol.

I must start listening to more oriental metal then.

Indian folk music hmm Shakti whit John McLaughlin. But I was born in this side of Alps so I like our folk music.

Viking is overated but I hate oriental. I dont like that mid east sound and influences, in that case I listen viking even from non viking countries
----

apos;'
[image]
06.11.2021 - 21:03
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by Bad English on 06.11.2021 at 20:52

Indian folk music hmm Shakti whit John McLaughlin. But I was born in this side of Alps so I like our folk music.

Viking is overated but I hate oriental. I dont like that mid east sound and influences, in that case I listen viking even from non viking countries

I've never been one for Middle Eastern or Indian music in general, so I have never allowed myself the opportunity to explore their influences on metal.
06.11.2021 - 21:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 06.11.2021 at 21:03

I've never been one for Middle Eastern or Indian music in general, so I have never allowed myself the opportunity to explore their influences on metal.

Yes but to me they sound to boring, to adult, to polite, to suit and tie, to tea party , to modern, to boring.
----

apos;'
[image]