Metal Storm logo
Blind Guardian: Live in Belgrade 2011

Event: Blind Guardian: Sacred Worlds And Songs Divine European Tour
Written by: SkaldfraNorden
Published: 12.05.2011

After 4 years of recording and occasional touring it was time for a new Blind Guardian show in Belgrade, Serbia. The band became fond of the town, after recording their two last videos here ("Another Stranger Me" and "A Voice in the Dark") and two amazing shows back in 2006 and 2007.

As they are my all-time favorite band, I couldn't wait for the show after I found out about it in September 2010. I bought the ticket immediately and then there were seven long months of waiting for April 29th to come. I was awed by the new album, and looked forward to hearing new classics such as "Sacred Worlds," "Tanelorn," "Wheel of Time" and "A Voice in the Dark."

Finally, the day came, and in hope of getting autographs and pictures with the band members my friends and I came early to the venue and had some drinking and singing session, which lasted almost the whole day. Later, we heard that the band was in their hotel, so we were all a bit disappointed that we won't get our tickets signed, but nevertheless there was a long-awaited show to attend.

At about 7:15 the gates opened and a stampede of about 1000 fans that came to the gig started. We waited until about 8 o'clock for the support band called Alhemia to set the stage. They played for about 45 minutes, but the crowd reaction was mediocre. Some supported them, but the most of the people came just to see Blind Guardian. After the support band, there was a long pause between two shows, because gear and equipment had to be changed on stage, but at 9:25 lights were out.

The wall of deafening noise came with fans chanting and screaming at the first sounds of the "Sacred Worlds" intro. The song was well-accepted with sing-alongs at choruses and "hey!" parts at solo and interludes. After Sacred, came old classics, "Welcome to Dying" and "Nightfall," with the vibe of raising to the roof. But, then, something extraordinary happened. Like 4 years ago, the crowd started to chant "Majesty, Majesty," and after a couple of minutes when Hansi said: "Your wish is our command, Majesty!" a state of total euphoria took everyone in the building. Those were one of the best 7 minutes I've seen live and a proof how one band can still have a great connection with fans after 25 years.

Later on, they played a mix of old and new stuff like "Time Stands Still," "Time What is Time," "Tanelorn" and "Valhalla." The regular part was ended with "Imaginations from the Other Side" and then Hansi said goodbye and that we will meet again on the next album tour. Of course, everyone knew that without "Bard's Song" and "Mirror Mirror" as a finale, no Blind Guardian concert exists.

The first song on the encore was the new "And then there was Silence / Wheel of Time" with 8 epic minutes of singing and jumping. Then came "The Bard's Song - In the Forest" and a song which they haven't played for at least 15 years. The other, heavier and faster "Bard's Song"! Those who knew the whole Blind Guardian discography screamed their hearts out on "The Hobbit," while some simply wondered which song the band played. And for the end, as per tradition came "Mirror Mirror," a grand finishing until the next Blind Guardian gig in Belgrade, which I can't wait for.

Some 2 hours after the gig, one by one of the band members came out and we finally got our autographs and pics, so it was THE show, with great performance and some great memories.

Setlist
    1. Sacred Worlds
    2. Welcome to Dying
    3. Nightfall
    4. Majesty (instead of Turn the Page)
    5. Fly
    6. Time Stands Still
    7. Tanelorn
    8. Lord of the Rings
    9. Time What is Time
    10. Valhalla
    11. Imaginations from the Other Side

Encore:
    12. Wheel of Time
    13. The Bard's Song - In the Forest
    14. The Bard's Song - The Hobbit
    15. Mirror Mirror

Guest article disclaimer:
This is a guest article, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 97 users
12.05.2011 - 20:53
giok99

Saw them in October, was amazing, Thanks for you review. Make me remember how good this gig was.
----
Nothing is real
12.05.2011 - 22:37
SkaldfraNorden

Thanks. Glad you liked it
28.05.2011 - 09:04
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Caught their show in Barcelona back in november, which was also amazing. BG fans really know how to make an atmosphere. obviously everyone also chanted "Majesty" and they played it (although imo the current live version is way too slow).

Hits total: 5927 | This month: 20