07. The Saturday Song
08. Angel
09. Blues For Dimebag
10. Running
11. Anything For You
12. Plastique
13. Bad Reputation [Thin Lizzy cover]
14. Stand! [Sly And The Family Stone cover]

Although sadly now largely forgotten, the 24-7 Spyz were actually quite an important band back in the late 80s and early 90s alternative metal scene. Together with Bad Brains, Living Colour and Fishbone they pioneered mixing metal with jazz, R&B, soul, hip-hop and funk and we all know how influential this particular hybrid proved to be on the metal world. Still, while all of their peers couldn't really be called de-facto metal bands due to their focus on non-metal elements (Living Coulour was essentially hard-rock, Bad Brains were hardcore punk, Fishbone was more funk than anything else), the 24-7 Spyz were always the heaviest and most aggressive of the bunch, using numerous thrash metal and NYHC elements in their music. The band was on a hiatus for the last decade or so but now finally they decided to reemerge and make some noise by releasing Face The Day, their latest LP.

Compared to the band's previous albums, Face The Day is quite a lot less aggressive and there is a larger ratio of R&B, reggae and soul here than ever before. Not that this is a bad thing. As a result of this focus, the album sounds very fluid and comfortable, as if it was the recording of a jam session. The musicians are all extremely proficient and they are obviously having great fun playing together, whether they are laying down the heavy grooves and hardcore gang-shouts in the title track or performing the romantic soul ballad "The Saturday Song". As a matter of fact, I think more bands should explore the areas of the latter song - the vocal chord progressions are unusual and original for a metal song and the heavy guitars contribute the sort of dynamics that ordinary soul is rarely able to achieve.

Unfortunately, the comfortable and playful vibe of this record is also its biggest problem. It sounds more like a collection of random songs and outtakes than an album that makes sense as a whole. Previous 24-7 Spyz albums were much better in this respect so I count this as a flaw. Still, despite this it is very nice to hear these guys making music again since they tackle areas too often ignored by the metal mainstream.

Written on 18.09.2006 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 36 users
18.09.2006 - 15:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
damn, I didn't know they were still aorund. I absolutely loved them back in the day. I'd better go and listen to their old stuff again especially Harder than You and Gumbo Millenium were great as far as I can remember. I saw them live a couple of times, once eevn opening a clubgig for Bad Brains.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.09.2006 - 16:35
Markku
Account deleted
Where the hell have I been?? I thought Mordred is the pretty much the only decent funk metal band out there.

AlsoI had long time ago lost the hope to encounter a reggae(or atleast reggae influenced) metal band.

Must check this stuff out, any recommedations from their discography, a good album to start with?
18.09.2006 - 16:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 18.09.2006 at 16:35

Where the hell have I been?? I thought Mordred is the pretty much the only decent funk metal band out there.

AlsoI had long time ago lost the hope to encounter a reggae(or atleast reggae influenced) metal band.

Must check this stuff out, any recommedations from their discography, a good album to start with?

The best albums to check out are IMO Harder than You, and then Gumbo Millenium.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.09.2006 - 16:58
Markku
Account deleted
Thanks, I'll check them.
18.09.2006 - 17:17
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
I second that, the new album isnt as good as the classics but its still very listenable.
18.09.2006 - 17:20
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Guest on 18.09.2006 at 16:35

Also I had long time ago lost the hope to encounter a reggae(or atleast reggae influenced) metal band.

If you havent already, listen to Bad Brains albums like "I agains I" and "Quickness". There are a LOT of reggae elements there.
18.09.2006 - 23:16
Rating: 7
lordz
IzZo
i just checked this band out in their myspace.com page.. they have 4 tracks posted there ... The Band is pretty interesting and very defferint especially with the strong reggae elements.. I remember living color and fishbone from back in the day and I wasnt into that genre at that moment... but now i dont mind giving these guys I shot if their album passes my way
01.08.2010 - 20:29
justincredible

Seen them live in Eindhoven when I was living in Holland in the 90's, very good on the night but the singer didn't endear himself to the crowd when he asked everyone to stop smoking pot..... clown!
----
Kill And Eat The Weak!

Hits total: 5348 | This month: 12