02. M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
03. Texas Lesbian Barbecue
04. 1001 reason To Kill
05. Nemesis
06. The Prisoner
07. Bloodbath
08. Little Stinky Monkey
09. Tromassacre

Three guys of Arkhan were before in the Swiss Black Metal band Ipsum, and it's not so surprising to find some Black Metal influences in their new compositions even if Arkhan is actually a band that plays real brutal Death Metal. But if you like terrific blasting rhythms and if you like brutality? you'll probably discover a good band for you, with this new combo made in Switzerland.

The first thing that "choked" me with this release was the incredible heavy and fast rhythms on all the songs. Well it's a beat box that replaces the drums so it's not really hard to do such blasting drumming but it's so fast and heavy that it is really hypnotic. Don't forget though that it's Death Metal, and you can believe me, it's a brutal one. Well on the other hand it's not Grindcore or extremely basic Death Metal and Arkhan knew how mix their new form of music with its old Black Metal influences (especially with the drums and the ambiances) and the result is quite enjoyable yes. There are some keyboards there and there on the different songs but it's just here to give an original dark and tortured ambiance and I'm sure, even if you're a Death Metal purist, that you'll find that it is a good addition to the music.

Their lyrics are influenced by horror movies so don't expect some philosophical subjects here but well let's be honest anyway, horror stuff fit perfectly with Death Metal, especially when you have some cool ambiances which directly come from Black Metal. The production is also really good so really I don't find a lot of bad points on this release except maybe that it can be boring to listen to such fast and "hypnotic" music during a whole day? it can become a real marathon for your ears at the end yes?

"M.A.C.H.I.N.E" is not a really original album of Death Metal but for a first release, it's a good release. The aficionados of Death like Black Metal will find some interesting stuff in this album and in the style I'm sure that Arkhan will be able to find its public. They deserve it at least?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 12.07.2006

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 3 users
16.05.2011 - 22:08
BreadGod
Account deleted
Now that is a badass cover art. Downloading it now.

Hits total: 2329 | This month: 5