01. Saturation Point
02. Dragon Mistress
03. Evil Thrill
04. Namida (Tears)
05. Anvils
06. Jewel
07. Forbidden City
08. Thunder March

If Marty Friedman's work in Megadeth inspired me to pick up my guitar, then this album has almost driven me to rip out the strings, smash it up and bury it six feet under. Whether you love or hate Megadeth, I'm sure Marty Friedman needs no introduction.

Although he is highly gifted in terms of technique, it is not his technique in this album, which is impressive, but his unique phrasing. It's all here, the exotic Middle Eastern and Far East influences, and his ability to tastefully inject his passages with speed.

The album begins with "Saturation Point" and "Dragon's Mistress", these two songs have that classic Friedman feel, with their exotic scales. "Namida" is a track which almost serves as a respite from the shredding. Mainly composed of clean guitars, it creates a nice reverent atmosphere, although short, it is a great track in its own right. The peaceful mood doesn't last too long though, as the aptly named "Anvils" comes in with its fast and heavy riffing. The longest track, "Fordidden City", is also the best track. Starting off with clean guitars, once again building a serene atmosphere. Later as the song progresses we hear some jackhammer riffs, before Jason Becker and Marty Friedman both unleash a frenzy of licks.

The main surprise for me was the riffing. The riffing is great, thrashy at times. I certainly didn't expect that from Marty with his whole "metal isn't creative phase". The only real fault is a common fault shared by many shred albums, which is that it has a lot of wankery, but still it is barely a fault as Marty develops his melodies in such a tasteful and soulful manner that it's impossible to feel bored.

If you're not a fan of shred albums, this album may not be for you. However, chances are you're checking out this review after hearing his work from Megadeth, and if that impressed you, then I'd definitely recommend you pick this up. After all, this was the album that convinced a certain Dave Mustaine to choose Marty as his lead guitarist.

Although every track is thoroughly enjoyable, the main highlights include "Saturation Point", "Dragon's Mistress", "Forbidden City" and "Thunder March".

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written by | 21.05.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 128 users
21.05.2011 - 12:19
Rating: 9
musclassia

Heard this for the first time a week or so ago, one of the best guitar-instrumental albums I've heard thus far, was thoroughly impressed and really liked it. His songwriting did definitely help the album rise above an aimless shredfest like some albums.
Good review
21.05.2011 - 13:43
fabregassed
Account deleted
Yeah, the songwriting is immense on this album. I reckon this is probably the best album for anybody who wants to ease themselves into the shred genre.
01.06.2011 - 20:23
Tetravirulence

Nice review! Certainly he is inspiration for so many, each track on the album is great and very thoughtful
----
Metal News Community!! http://head-metal-bangers.blogspot.com

RIP Juhani Palomaki (1977-2010)
09.02.2024 - 04:08
Rating: 9
The Galactician

I bought this album the year it came out and it just didn't stick, in spite of me being very shredder supportive in those years. I just gave it another whirl and...I don't know what I was thinking back then. What a great record.

Hits total: 5895 | This month: 12