Metal Storm logo
Cathedral - Update On Future Plans

Back in February seminal UK doom metal act Cathedral announced their plans to disband. In an interview with The Quietus, vocalist Lee Dorrian now revealed the band will leave the stage permanently after a December 3rd gig at the London Kentish Town Forum. Support will come from kindred spirits Grand Magus, Comus, and Gentleman's Pistols.

The band will record one final studio album entitled The Last Spire to be released in 2012 as a follow-up to last year's The Guessing Game. There will be no live shows to support the album, as Dorrian claims that it's time for Cathedral to "move on" and hopes "to leave our recorded legacy to linger."

You can read the full chat here.

Source: thequietus.com
Band profile: Cathedral
Posted: 22.05.2011 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 11   Visited by: 85 users
22.05.2011 - 12:39
Angelic Storm
Melodious
This news sucks so much... I can only hope "The Last Spire" is a fittingly classic album for them to sign off with. Though if it's anything like their last album, it'll only make me more sad that they're going... Definitely one of the UK's finest bands of any genre, bar none. <3
22.05.2011 - 15:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 22.05.2011 at 12:39

This news sucks so much... I can only hope "The Last Spire" is a fittingly classic album for them to sign off with. Though if it's anything like their last album, it'll only make me more sad that they're going... Definitely one of the UK's finest bands of any genre, bar none. <3

I agree, although I am happy we're getting at least another record out of them so yeah, fingers crossed it's good (and like the last one).
22.05.2011 - 16:39
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I'm fond of Cathedral, I really like "The Garden Of Unearthly Delights".

Even though I'm not a fan, it's always sad to see them go.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
22.05.2011 - 16:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Thanks for the depressing reminder - a great way to enjoy a Sunday off. DAMN YOU THRYCE!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.05.2011 - 19:55
BlackenedMyths

It's sad to see Cathedral split up. Hopefully they'll leave on a high note with their final album.
22.05.2011 - 20:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Among the best news last week. But a shame they're recording one more album.but it can't be as bad as The Guessing Game, or can it? Hope not
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.05.2011 - 21:11
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Not sure what is particularly bad news about it. the plans to disband were long known, so at least those who still dig the band get one more album out of it. unless you're cynical like Marcel.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.05.2011 - 23:58
Sworn

It's a shame that this band splits-up:( One of the greatest of all times.
23.05.2011 - 00:43
Baz Anderson

Sad stuff, but at least there will be one more album.
23.05.2011 - 18:54
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 22.05.2011 at 15:43
I agree, although I am happy we're getting at least another record out of them so yeah, fingers crossed it's good (and like the last one).

Oh absolutely! They could have just retired after their last live dates this year, and not bothered releasing a new album. So I'm grateful for sure, that they're releasing one last album. Im just hoping it's one that's is an awesome album, and a fitting swansong to their career. If it was like the last one, I'd be overjoyed. But likewise, I wouldn't mind if it was more like "The Ethereal Mirror" type stuff. Im definitely looking forward to hearing it. xD
25.05.2011 - 06:48
Symmachus

Cathedral is a band that I respect, and I can respect their decision to split up. I'm positive that they wouldn't want to make this last album suck in their eyes.

Hits total: 2886 | This month: 2