Metal Storm logo
Mastodon - Busy Recording New Album

Moar Mastodon news!!!

Heavy rock innovators Mastodon are currently in the studio recording the follow-up to their ground-breaking concept album Crack The Skye, one of the most critically lauded albums of the past decade.

The band is currently recording at Doppler Studios in their hometown of Atlanta with producer Mike Elizondo. Drum tracks have been previously completed in Los Angeles at the legendary Sound City Studios where Nirvana's masterwork Nevermind was recorded.

Mastodon can also now confirm a pair of new songs: "Blasteroids," and "All The Heavy Lifting" will be featured on the new disc which will be release later this year.

As with all of their albums, Mastodon, which is bassist/vocalist Troy Sanders, guitarist/vocalist Brent Hinds, guitarist Bill Keliher, and drummer Brann Dailor, will take a different tack and musical approach to the music on this outing.

Source: mastodonrocks.com
Band profile: Mastodon
Posted: 24.05.2011 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 26   Visited by: 159 users
24.05.2011 - 14:31
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Will it be about exercise?

It seems like it
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
24.05.2011 - 15:05
koob

There must be something I don't get about Mastodon, they sound way overrated to me...
24.05.2011 - 15:10
Chidder

Written by koob on 24.05.2011 at 15:05

There must be something I don't get about Mastodon, they sound way overrated to me...

Same here. I have no idea what is so innovative in their music...
24.05.2011 - 16:00
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Written by Chidder on 24.05.2011 at 15:10

Their music ISN'T innovative. You are right.
24.05.2011 - 17:27
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Guest on 24.05.2011 at 16:00

Maybe they are not innovators but they are pretty damn good at what they do.

I think that label is because they became very famous thanks to the support and respect they got from bigger bands (Ok, just for touring with Metallica) and so the style is "innovative" for those who never heard sludgy/prog/metal/whatever music.

However these guys are totally awesome and they totally deserve the attention they have nowadays

I fully understood Mastodon with the record Leviathan, what a masterpiece...
Really looking forward for this one
24.05.2011 - 17:44
malaikat

@ koob, Chidder

Well, what albums did you listen to? Personally, I think that LEVIATHAN and BLOOD MOUNTAIN are masterpieces. CRACK THE SKYE, however, feels rather meek and forcingly "original" to me. They are very diverse band which takes a lot of time to get into, so you should really check some of their other (older) albums.
24.05.2011 - 18:18
Kwis

Mastodon are absolute pioneers in the world of metal. Listen to Leviathan from start to finish and tell me you don't agree. *Waiting for someone to disagree*
24.05.2011 - 18:44
DorianGray

I agree with Malaikat on this one
Cannot wait for the new album !
----
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful."
24.05.2011 - 18:58
DoomGuard

Written by Unhealer on 24.05.2011 at 17:27

Written by Guest on 24.05.2011 at 16:00

Maybe they are not innovators but they are pretty damn good at what they do.

I think that label is because they became very famous thanks to the support and respect they got from bigger bands (Ok, just for touring with Metallica) and so the style is "innovative" for those who never heard sludgy/prog/metal/whatever music.

However these guys are totally awesome and they totally deserve the attention they have nowadays

I fully understood Mastodon with the record Leviathan, what a masterpiece...
Really looking forward for this one

I didn't know what the big deal with them either, and I didn't like their older albums that much. In fact even now Crack The Skye is the only album I like from them, I find the others to be bland in comparison to their CTS album.

Hopefully this album is more like their CTS album
24.05.2011 - 19:21
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
I really don't care what musical direction they take, I have faith in Mastodon.
Can't wait.
24.05.2011 - 19:26
JD
Account deleted
Let's just see what's gonna happened.
24.05.2011 - 19:35
Crème fraiche

Written by Kwis on 24.05.2011 at 18:18

Mastodon are absolute pioneers in the world of metal. Listen to Leviathan from start to finish and tell me you don't agree. *Waiting for someone to disagree*

Idk, I have friends that rant and rave about them. I can't ever finish listening to their cds; they get so boring and tedious right around the middle of their albums. Their only one I can finish is Remission.
24.05.2011 - 19:37
Guib
Thrash Talker
Personally I prefered Remission and Leviathan ... over Crack the Skye and Blood Mountain even though they're both great albums.. can't wait for the next one.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
24.05.2011 - 20:20
MechanisT
Account deleted
What's up with the weird song titles?
24.05.2011 - 21:30
Tsukaikatte

They are innovative because they do concept albums were most ppl dont. King Diamond has been makeing concept albums since the 80's, and compare mastodon to other hard rock bands mastodon does have a completly unique outlook on the way they write it. And if no one has seen their dvd "The Workhorse Chronicles" Id suggest it even if you dont like mastodon.
24.05.2011 - 22:27
Death_95

Written by malaikat on 24.05.2011 at 17:44

@ koob, Chidder

Well, what albums did you listen to? Personally, I think that LEVIATHAN and BLOOD MOUNTAIN are masterpieces. CRACK THE SKYE, however, feels rather meek and forcingly "original" to me. They are very diverse band which takes a lot of time to get into, so you should really check some of their other (older) albums.

Mastodon is my 3rd favorite band of all time, but I disagree with you. I think Crack The Skye is without a doubt their best album, followed by Blood Mountain.
25.05.2011 - 00:48
koob

@ koob, Chidder

I listened to Blood Moutain which I found really annoying, Crack The Skye which, I must agree, had some awesome songs (The Czar, The Last Baron) and only listened a few songs from Leviathan because I was bored with the two aforementioned albums. I might give their first two albums a try, maybe I'm wrong who knows !
25.05.2011 - 04:58
The Voyager
The Table
Written by Guest on 24.05.2011 at 20:20

Exactly my first thought when I read it. It actually concerns me a little. That might be crazy, but it gave me a touch of skepticism about this album.
25.05.2011 - 10:52
malaikat

Written by Death_95 on 24.05.2011 at 22:27

@ koob, Chidder

Mastodon is my 3rd favorite band of all time, but I disagree with you. I think Crack The Skye is without a doubt their best album, followed by Blood Mountain.

Nah, I know that CtS is a (very) good album in general, but it's just not my cup of tea concerning Mastodon sound. I do like Ghost of Karelia, Divinations and Quintiessence a lot, but the other songs just don't work for me, that's it.
25.05.2011 - 17:14
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by The Voyager on 25.05.2011 at 04:58

Written by Guest on 24.05.2011 at 20:20

Exactly my first thought when I read it. It actually concerns me a little. That might be crazy, but it gave me a touch of skepticism about this album.

Exactly. Thing is, looking at the song titles, I'm expecting a more straightforward stoner sound from Mastodon in their forthcoming album. I for one would be pretty bummed if that is the case, because what sets them apart from others in this genre in my opinion are the progressive vibes in their music, which I enjoy highly. Having said that, I hope I'm proved wrong.
25.05.2011 - 17:58
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Anyone wondering if they'll be able to get through the entirety of Mastodon's new album without being bored out of their minds?
25.05.2011 - 18:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.05.2011 at 17:58

Anyone wondering if they'll be able to get through the entirety of Mastodon's new album without being bored out of their minds?

Anyone wondering if Daydream Nation will be able to stop whinging about Mastodon?
25.05.2011 - 19:33
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.05.2011 at 18:30

Written by Guest on 25.05.2011 at 17:58

Anyone wondering if Daydream Nation will be able to stop whinging about Mastodon?

I've only posted twice, bahahaha.
25.05.2011 - 19:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.05.2011 at 19:33

In a thread of a band you obviously have no interest in, the latter response clearly designed to illicit a reaction ;]
25.05.2011 - 19:54
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.05.2011 at 19:39

Written by Guest on 25.05.2011 at 19:33

In a thread of a band you obviously have no interest in, the latter response clearly designed to illicit a reaction ;]

My comment was a little snarky, haha. And it elicited your reaction, haha
Well, here's the thing. I DO plan to listen to Mastodon's newest album without reference to their other albums in the past and rate it fairly based on its merits. I have found the other albums to be boring in the past- I stated my opinion because I saw many other metal fans share my opinion. In fact, I would argue they are one of the most divisive bands I have ever encountered; people love 'em or hate 'em. So yes, I do have an interest in the band simply because I want to experience metal music without ignoring bands because of their past. The new song titles make me wonder if they will be able to keep me attentive-- as MechanisT pointed out, they do seem indicative of a major shift in sound.
25.05.2011 - 19:59
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
And sorry for the double post-- but the new track titles reminded me of the track titles from Rush's newest album for some reason. Maybe it might be a little more proggy than usual.

Hits total: 3066 | This month: 4