Metal Storm logo
Dane Train's Top 11: The Top 11 Best Metal Covers of Non-Metal Songs

Written by: Dane Train
Published: 27.05.2011

The Top 11 Best Metal Covers of Non-Metal Songs

I am a huge fan of cover songs. While the vast majority of cover songs out there are rather lame and cover bands are a dime a dozen there are some pretty amazing renditions floating around. It is always interesting to see how one artist will take another's song in a new direction. Throughout the history of popular music there have been some cover songs that became more famous than the original (Hendix covering Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower" comes to mind instantly) and some that were just a flat out disgrace (like Madonna's insult to Don McLean).

Heavy Metal bands are no exception to this concept. Whether it is paying homage to the original artists, a new artistic statement or just flat out funny, Metal bands have their fair share of covers. For this list I wanted to look at Metal bands covering non-Metal songs. Many are just louder/heavier/faster versions of the original but every once and a while there comes along a cover that is really amazing.

After several months of research, study, and contemplation I was able to narrow my list down to what you have before you. While there are a number of songs that really great, these are the ones that won out. So I present to you The Best Metal Covers of Non-Metal Songs.

And remember...this list goes to eleven!

11. Faith No More - Easy

For those who know this band, you are well aware of how goofy and weird they were. While they wrote some killer tunes, and were themselves pretty serious musicians, Faith No More did have a twisted dark sense if humor about themselves. This cover of Commodores hit was a huge hit itself for the Faith No More.

10. Black Label Society - Whiter Shade Of Pale

"A Whiter Shade of Pale" was the 1967 debut song by the British band Procol Harum and to this day remains a monumental piece of music. There are over 900 cover versions of this song so when badass Zakk Wylde and his band covered it one would expect crushing sonic experience similar to being run over by the Hell's Angels. But not so...

9. Fear Factory - I Will Follow

When most people think of Fear Factory covering a song, "Cars" comes to mind, and while it is a great version (and maybe even better than the original) there is something about them covering U2 that is really appealing. There are so many Metal versions of so many U2 songs, and most of them suck but FF's version keeps the spirit of the original and adds some real power behind it.

8. Northern Kings- We Don't Need Another Hero

A Finnish Symphonic Power Metal Super Group Cover Band? Yes, please! Oh and their version of hit theme song to Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome is freaking amazing! Out of all their covers this one I think has the most stand out potential from the rest.

7. Goatmill -I'm On A Boat (Feat. Evil Genius)

So I have no idea who this band is. And frankly I am pretty sure that I will hate the rest of their material but this cover is hands down the most brilliant cover I have seen in a long time, and also the funniest. I was laughing so hard that I cried and knocked over my beer (which made me cry some more). Hearing Death growls about "flippy floppies" is priceless. And the King Dimond meets T-Pain character needs his own action figure.

6. Five Finger Death Punch - Bad Company

FFDP was a band I really could've care less about but when I first heard this cover I was blown away and had to hear more of their music. Yeah, they still kind of suck, but this cover is amazing. It took an already classic badass song and updated it with their own little take on it. Oh, and if you have to ask who did the original, I will hunt you down.

5. Queensrÿche - Scarborough Fair

Ah, Queensryche. One of the most underrated and neglected bands out there. While they have done many covers in the past (including an entire cover album) their take on this classic British ballad stands above all others. It shows off most of Geoff Tate's powerful vocal range and is just beautiful. The studio version was released as a bonus for Empire.

4. Disturbed -Land of Confusion

Yes, I know In Flames covered it. And yes, I know In Flames is a better band. But lets face it, Disturbed did a much better job with this song. One of the few post-Gabriel Genesis songs that I actually can stomach, Land of Confusion was already a hit with its catchy hooks and trippy music video. Disturbed updated the whole concept as their version reflected the current situation in the world and was fully realized in the kickass music video by Todd McFarlane.

3. Type O Negative - Cinnamon Girl

Now maybe I am being a bit biased here as one of my favorite Metal bands covers one of my all time favorite artists (Neil Young) but there is something surreal and creepy about this version that is really powerful. This is a great example of a band taking a song that is vastly different from their style and totally owning it.

2. Dream Theater- Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
Love 'em or hate 'em, one can not deny the fact the Dream Theater is beyond talented. One of my favorite thing about the Prog Gods is that they do some really interesting covers. Having covered four albums all the way through live (Master of Puppets, Dark Side of the Moon, Made in Japan and The Number of the Beast) and playing numerous covers and medleys during their shows and often playing them with the original artists, I could have just done a list of my top 11 Dream Theater cover songs. But out of all of them, it is this Elton John duo that tops my list. Here is a rare video from the earlier days.

1. Metallica - Turn The Page
The original Bob Seger song is one of those tunes that I never thought anyone could do justice to if they covered it. But if anyone could, Metallica could. And they did! Keeping it the same tempo as the Seger version and making it heavier, Metallica had their longest running hit single. This cover brought the song into a whole new generation while paying tribute and respect to the one from which it came. The first time I saw the music video for this song I was blown away. It was a powerful short film in its own right, and the song really became the back drop for the story.

This is what a cover song should be. It holds onto the original spirit of the song while adding in the band's own personality. It is an homage to the original but exposes fans to the cover band. It is a difficult thing to make a great cover song, and Metallica did the best.

So there you have it. My Top 11. Now argue.

Written on 27.05.2011 by Dane hails from Asheville, NC which is Beer City, USA. When he is not drinking various craft and micro brews, Dane fronts the Stoner Doom Metal band, The Quick. He also has a massive collection of Hellboy comic books.

Comments

Comments: 36   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 343 users
27.05.2011 - 20:40
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Love the Easy and Cinnamon Girl covers. nice list, will think on ones you might have missed so i can mock your noobness.

edit...

removed some shit, so i could start my own counter-list.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.05.2011 - 21:00
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Hahaha, I never heard that I'm On A Boat cover...

I love the Cinnamon Girl cover, truly a great interpretation.

I would also recommend:
Coroner - I Want You (She's So Heavy) [The Beatles cover]
W.A.S.P. - Locomotive Breath [Jethro Tull cover]
27.05.2011 - 21:02
Fat & Sassy!

Awesome list, Dane. I especially agree on Love Lies Bleeding. It's a great cover.

If I had a list, I'd probably add Turisas's fun cover of Rasputin.

Written by BitterCOld on 27.05.2011 at 20:40

edit...

Great fucking covers, dude.

edit: AW. They're gone. :'(
27.05.2011 - 21:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
They'll be back. comprising my own list...
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.05.2011 - 22:43
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Holy shit, had no idea that the cover of Cinnamon Girl existed!! Thanks for the find dude!
27.05.2011 - 23:19
Hammer34

Usually not negative guy, but how could one even conceive of such a list and omit Priest's cover of Baez's "Diamonds and Rust"????? One of the best song reinterpretations ever in any genre. Gotta believe there are some better contenders out there than several of these as well though I certainly commend the effort here.
27.05.2011 - 23:21
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
I would argue that Van Halen's version of "You Really Got Me" is one of the best covers I have ever seen by a hard rock/heavy metal act...But maybe that's too light and conventional to be on this list. I like what you have, though.
28.05.2011 - 00:18
Milena
gloom cookie
Northern Kings! I prefer their second album, but the first is also spot on with some heavy and totally reinvented stuff.
----
7.0 means the album is good
28.05.2011 - 00:24
MechanisT
Account deleted
Nice List. I would've included Therion's Summernight City cover of ABBA if I had the chance.
28.05.2011 - 05:40
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
I expected a Metallica Garage Days song to be on there, but I thought it would be Whiskey In the Jar or Die, Die My Darling.
I also think Guns 'N Roses cover of Sympathy for the Devil is a good candidate. Not as good as the original and not really Metal, but still awesome sounding.
28.05.2011 - 06:03
bj_waters

Great list, first of all. However, I feel like I need to throw out Ten Masked Men. Sure they're way over the top , but I love what they do: nothing but death covers of pop songs from the Beach Boys to Oasis. Good for a laugh anyway.
28.05.2011 - 14:36
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Definitely an interesting read.

I do love the Dream Theater cover.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
28.05.2011 - 14:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Concerning your number 5 I have to set you straight.
You state:

Quote:
5. Queensryche - Scarborough Fair

Ah, Queensryche. One of the most underrated and neglected bands out there. While they have done many covers in the past (including an entire cover album) their take on this classic British ballad stands above all others. It shows off most of Geoff Tate's powerful vocal range and is just beautiful. The studio version was released as a bonus for Empire.

The studio version was released as part of the Empire MCD and wasn't featured as bonus on the original pressings of the Empire album.
I think it was a Japanese bonus originally and only later was added as bonus for Empire for the rest of the world on cd (not on LP btw)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.05.2011 - 19:02
SteTech

Machinae Supremacy have done great covers of Mel C's I Turn To You and Britney Spears' Gimme More. Their cover of Lady Gaga's Paparazzi is not so good though, almost laughable
30.05.2011 - 20:57
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by SteTech on 30.05.2011 at 19:02

Machinae Supremacy have done great covers of Mel C's I Turn To You and Britney Spears' Gimme More. Their cover of Lady Gaga's Paparazzi is not so good though, almost laughable

I know a Darkseed cover of I Turn to You which is great; I didn't know the BLS cover of Whiter Shade of Pale, but I have heard Doro covering it (pretty good!) and Hughes/Thrall 1982 cover (excellent).

I have a Genesis tribute album and the progressive metal bands Shadow Gallery (Entangled) and Enchant (Man of our times) did an amazing job. Magellan covering Mama was nice too.

Dan Swano and his project Odyssey covered brilliantly Depeche Mode's Shake the Disease.

i also love Helloween's version of David Bowie's Space Odyssey.

Voivod's cover of King crimson's 21st century Schizoid Man as well as their Pink Floyd covers (Astronomy Domine and Nile Song) are great.

Dream Theater's covers on the deluxe version of BC&SL are great as well.

I'll be back when i can think of some more covers.
30.05.2011 - 22:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Exelent songs, I wish I can have a time reda it earlöyer, I love all songs and this is one of rare times when I love cover better how orginal I mean TON vesrion
You shood also try Pet Benetar cover Hell Is For Children from Viking (yes band calls Viking)
About WASP, I love WASP blues covers., and there many many metal bands also Iron maiden who cover non metal songs and it goes well, I love this article, I realy do , and those songs and bands, exelent pic

EDDIT: Well I loev Bob Seager also I love orginal verse also, well there non many who put Omahah on lyrics
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.05.2011 - 21:04
necrovamp

I'd add A Forest by Carpathian Forest - now that is a cover and a - half!

nice list though
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
31.05.2011 - 21:10
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by necrovamp on 31.05.2011 at 21:04

nice list though

A Forest... meaning the Cure song? I'll have to check that out...
31.05.2011 - 21:54
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Introspekrieg on 31.05.2011 at 21:10

nice list though

yeah, surprisingly it's more mellow than the original. and is (will be) on my list when i publish one later this week.
----

01.06.2011 - 01:11
necrovamp

Written by BitterCOld on 31.05.2011 at 21:54

Written by Introspekrieg on 31.05.2011 at 21:10

nice list though

yeah, surprisingly it's more mellow than the original. and is (will be) on my list when i publish one later this week.

yeah i love it, it's one cover i like better than the orginal (but then the cure 'aint my thing) if you can't wait for his list, it's on youtube.
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
01.06.2011 - 20:23
Mikrokosmos
Account deleted
I also like Alestorm's cover of "wolves of the sea"
01.06.2011 - 20:59
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Guest on 01.06.2011 at 20:23

I also like Alestorm's cover of "wolves of the sea"

INITIATE READING PROGRAM...
READING PROGRAM BOOTED. WOULD YOU LIKE TO READ COMMENT FROM AUTHOR 'MIKROKOSMOS'? [y/n]
"I also like Alestorm--"
ERROR. ERROR. MENTIONING OF ALESTORM.
OPINION VOID.
AUTOMATIC SYSTEM SHUTDOWN.

02.06.2011 - 00:57
a MasT

Nowhere in this list should there be the word "metal"...cept maybe dt and 'tallica
02.06.2011 - 16:21
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by a MasT on 02.06.2011 at 00:57

Nowhere in this list should there be the word "metal"...cept maybe dt and 'tallica

What are you talking about? Are you saying that these other bands aren't Metal bands?
----
(space for rent)
02.06.2011 - 20:18
a MasT

Written by Dane Train on 02.06.2011 at 16:21

What are you talking about? Are you saying that these other bands aren't Metal bands?

Yes I am saying bands like Disturbed and Five Finger Death Punch are NOT metal. Thank you.
02.06.2011 - 20:27
drummercrm

Disturbed is definitely not metal
02.06.2011 - 20:29
Syk
myspace/bonerama
He's right in that the article has an inaccurate title (not to mention the shoddy writing throughout... I thought this place had proofreaders among the staff? Surely someone here has a good grasp on the English language) but come on, Type O was about as metal as both DT & M, particularly at the time of recording...

Nice one with the Evil Genius. Good for a few laughs but personally I'd put the Nintendo thing in there instead - slightly more replay value
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
02.06.2011 - 21:35
Fat & Sassy!

Nowhere in this thread should there be the stupid comments...cept maybe yours.
02.06.2011 - 23:34
Slyfang

Written by drummercrm on 02.06.2011 at 20:27

Disturbed is definitely not metal

They definitely are a metal band. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean suddenly the definition of metal music will change. Kindly leave your inane elitism to yourself.

And no, I don't like their music either, in case you wanted to call me a defensive fanboy..
03.06.2011 - 04:23
Fallen

Your last words are fuckin epic. \m/

Hits total: 12657 | This month: 18