16. Snow Bound [Acoustic version] [Japanese bonus]

Disc II [Kovered In Khaos] [Deluxe/Limited edition bonus]
01. Warning [Discharge cover]
02. Wings Of Tomorrow [Europe cover]
03. The Oath [Kiss cover]
04. The Book Of Heavy Metal [Dream Evil cover]

An open letter to Arch Enemy.

Dear Arch Enemy,

Back where I come from we have this saying; "You can only hate Arch Enemy, if you hate having fun". So obviously I was pretty excited when I heard you were releasing your first studio effort in over six years (unless you want to count the utter abomination that was
Rise Of The Tyrant, which I kind of don't). After a couple of spins though, my excitement gradually turned into concern. Which is why I'm stepping up to lend a helping hand (which I assume was your intent, 'cause I'm just that modest).

Truth be told, I wasn't expecting something cutting-edge in the first place. I mean, you have always been as innovative as this site is called Polka Storm. But
Khaos Legions is just, well, embarrassingly stale. Where did the rebellious character go? Why is it that anything that slightly resembles adventure gets consistently avoided? Is it because some bottled up emotions hinder you from reaching your potential? Why do you keep on recycling all your pet ideas over and over again? Is it a subliminal message to your fans to become more environmentally conscious? So many questions.

Hate to break it to you but everything about the album screams "uninspired". I couldn't even headbang properly because there are just too many downtempo parts... go figure, metal with no headbanging! Are you aware that your songs are so sugary one can scrape cotton candy right off those riffs? Why did you go for the "throw-a-handful-of-shit-to-a-wall-and-see-what-sticks" songwriting formula? You know you can do better than that (remember the "garage days" in that Carcass-band?). Are you suffering from a burn-out? Are you getting old? Am I getting old? Everyone born after 1992 seems to adore you to the point of worship. What's their secret?

And then there are those "plastic" vocals. What's up with that, girl? The bloodthirsty screams with the characteristic throaty rawness made me once believe you had twice the balls most death metal singers could only dream of having. Are you happy with the mainstream finesse that comes with over-polished vocals? Are you?

Maybe you feel like there's no need to take any risks since everything you touch turns instantly into gold. But let me tell you something, your music spawned literally countless of melodic death metal-inspired metalcore offspring that copy Arch Enemy and At The Gates riffs like they're on sale at the 99cent store. Lettuce be serious, this has been done better myriad times before. Look at you, you're losing your mojo! You're back to square one: store-brand Gothenburg metal.

Brutal truth:
Khaos Legions is but a pale shadow of what once was. So for goodness' sake, get your shit together already. Take care of yourself, okay?

Big smooch,
Thryce

Written by Thryce | 02.06.2011

Comments page 3 / 3

Comments: 67   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 902 users
18.03.2014 - 05:05
Rating: 5
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Nemesis7575 on 27.01.2013 at 05:12

Perhaps it is your taste in music that is bad.

Definitely this.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.03.2014 - 12:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Nemesis7575 on 27.01.2013 at 05:12

Perhaps it is your taste in music that is bad. They are the ONLY band i listen that i find every song, every album, every riff amazing! Michael Amott is a musical genius. All the "experimental and technical" stuff on the market is crap.
I like alot of metal but there's no one that's been as consistent at putting out good material as Arch Enemy. No one!

Arch Enemy have been writing the same album for over a decade now, only it gets more and more watered down with sugary saccharine and sickly sweet melodies. They may be consistent but they're anything but good in recent times.
18.03.2014 - 12:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 18.03.2014 at 05:05

Definitely this.

You just made me quote someone from over a year ago thinking it was a new comment. Thanks.
18.03.2014 - 14:23
Rating: 5
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 18.03.2014 at 12:45

Written by Boxcar Willy on 18.03.2014 at 05:05

Definitely this.

You just made me quote someone from over a year ago thinking it was a new comment. Thanks.

My bad haha, I hardly ever look at post dates.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.03.2014 - 06:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 19.03.2014 at 01:04

I think a lot of bands are in this boat these days - e.g. Kataklysm, Amon Amarth, Devil Driver, Soulfly, Evile etc etc and pretty much anything major label Power Metal.

It's wierd that there is no evolution at all especially with Kataklysm and Soulfly who changed a lot in the past.

Even Cannibal Corpse display more evolution over time than a lot of less extreme bands,

I have a conspiracy theory though:

The labels are actively pushing bands to fit into certain pre-established niches.

In the past bands evolving or changing has resulted in bad commercial results for the labels with fans refusing to buy new stuff from bands that have changed.

Hence the labels want to maximise revenue and direct the band to stay in a holding pattern soundwise in order to create a specific niche.

The labels often have a massive influence on bands - I remember guys from Carcass talking about how at one Earache meeting the execs were discussing how some extreme band improved their marketability by hiring a stylist.

And you do occassionally get other snippets in interviews that highlight label influence when bands talk about "how the label was great in terms of support but not trying to influence the artistic direction."

That bands think it noteworthy to mention lack of label interference seems to imply heavy interference most of the time.

Possibly. It's hard, if not impossible, to know for sure. It's seems there's 4 roads bands go down: Stay the same: accused of repetition / not evolving and receive poor critical reception (Arch Enemy); stay the same: get called consistent, still considered good (Bolt Thrower); evolve toward the mainstream: become disliked (Metallica); evolve into something else and / or something heavier, results vary (Enslaved: good, !T.O.O.H.!: bad).
20.03.2014 - 10:24
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Guest on 19.03.2014 at 06:40

Possibly. It's hard, if not impossible, to know for sure. It's seems there's 4 roads bands go down: Stay the same: accused of repetition / not evolving and receive poor critical reception (Arch Enemy); stay the same: get called consistent, still considered good (Bolt Thrower); evolve toward the mainstream: become disliked (Metallica); evolve into something else and / or something heavier, results vary (Enslaved: good, !T.O.O.H.!: bad).

And it's kinda weird that no matter what road they choose, music fans who are dissatisfied are accused of "not understanding" the band.
21.03.2014 - 00:50
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by deadone on 21.03.2014 at 00:21

Mind you I don't see the point of following bands who haven't done an album I liked in ages.
I actually learned this from bands like Metallica and In Flames both of whom changed into something I didn't like.
But why bitch about ReLoad not being Master of Puppets Mk II or Sound of a Playground Fading not being Jester Race Mk II?
Instead I ignore the albums I don't like and stick with the ones I do. Helps keep the stress levels down!

I don't bitch that much, either. Instead, I just feel that even if you respect their "new" identity, you really wouldn't consider their output as "extraordinary" within the framework they were hoping to instill. Not much to say on Arch Enemy's case, though. I feel as if it's enjoyable for a gig or two, to lose yourself to live music.

Hits total: 15399 | This month: 10