Metal Storm logo
Favorite Song On Agalloch's Ashes Against The Grain

Poll

Which is the best song off Ashes Against The Grain?

Not Unlike The Waves
Falling Snow
Our Fortress Is Burning II
Limbs
Fire Above, Ice Below
Our Fortress Is Burning I
Our Fortress Is Burning III

Total votes: 119
03.06.2011 - 03:29
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
So which one is your fave?
For me, it's a hard question, as this album is my favorite of all time. Limbs is one of the best album intros which I ever heard. Falling Snow, in my opinion, has the best intro of all time. The clean vocals on Not Unlike The Waves send the chills down my spine whenever I hear them. Our Fortress Is Burning I is a typical Agalloch instrumental, nothing really worth mentioning. The second part, however, is a very good song. The third is something strange. The distortion sound somewhere near the middle of the song produces a great atmosphere, I don't know how they did that, maybe Tremolo Picking, but it's very good. I still have to listen a little more to Fire Above, Ice Below to give my opinion on it, but for now, it's a fine 10 minute composition by these artists called Agalloch. The last track, This White Mountain On Which You Will Die, is a 1:30 minute instrumental, so I don't think anyone will vote it, and I didn't include it in the poll. But in the end, I just voted Not Unlike The Waves.
03.06.2011 - 03:34
Mikrokosmos
Account deleted
Either "falling snow" or "not unlike the waves", though the other ones are excellent as well
03.06.2011 - 03:41
strade

"Limbs" is pretty damn close, but the answer has to be "Not Unlike the Waves." That's probably my second favorite Agalloch song overall, behind "In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion." Personally I find The Mantle to be a lot more rewarding overall, but Ashes Against the Grain is still a pretty solid product. Agalloch kills so hard it doesn't really matter.

(P.S.: nice avatar. My favorite death metal album ever)
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
03.06.2011 - 03:43
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
I'd say Not Unlike The Waves; it's a much more complete song and the lyrics are solid. And yes, the Solstafir screams are haunting. The problem with Falling Snow is that it has that one really good riff and a lot of filler. I think that's why I like The Mantle so much more, the whole album is far less riff based.
03.06.2011 - 03:53
The Voyager
The Table
Our Fortress is Burning II, without question. Probably one of the most emotional songs I've ever heard, and it has a very personal connotation to me. One of the few songs that has actually choked me up before.
03.06.2011 - 04:00
Timmeh
Dudeman
Definitely 'Not Unlike The Waves', that song is just perfect. The vocals, both clean and harsh are amazing. After that I would probably say 'Fire Above, Ice Below' because of its awesome climax and outro. Pretty sick of Falling Snow, it has some good parts but eh.
03.06.2011 - 05:35
Hugoj33

What an album! Love it
03.06.2011 - 09:52
Blasphemer1992

Hmm it's a very difficult choice, but if I had to choose one, I'll choose "Falling Snow"
03.06.2011 - 09:58
INÆRIS

I have a special connection with Not Unlike the Waves. It's a wonderful song, and my favorite from the album. Limbs is a very close 2nd.
----
Still Life, Still Death
03.06.2011 - 10:42
Justicelust

Maybe my favorite would be Falling Snow and the second is Limbs and then Not Unlike The Waves.
03.06.2011 - 11:35
Eleazar

Not Unlike The Waves is the real sound of Agalloch.... awesome....
03.06.2011 - 12:22
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Gotta go with Falling Snow, mainly due to the awesome double bass hook where dude goes HOOOOOAW
03.06.2011 - 12:35
Luneth
Account deleted
Limbs is one of their best songs to me. And damn do they have a lot of 'best' songs.
03.06.2011 - 12:45
Kenos
Account deleted
"Not Unlike The Waves" is a classic, yeah, but I vote for "Bloodbirds", which is one of the most emotionally crushing songs I've ever heard. Truly mankind's epitaph...

However, considering that AATG is in my personal top 10 albums, each song is just perfect and incomparable to the others.
03.06.2011 - 12:47
MechanisT
Account deleted
"Limbs", as you said, is one of the best intro songs of all-time. Personally, it's a toss-up between "Limbs" and "Falling Snow", two of my most favourite songs from Agalloch.
03.06.2011 - 15:53
0rpheus

There's no song in the album emotional as much as "Our Fortress is Burning... II - Bloodbirds"
----
I would prefer not to.
03.06.2011 - 16:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Simply one world ... ALL songs
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.06.2011 - 17:00
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Voted for Not Unlike The Waves, as did many before me. Those vocals send shivers down my spine every single time. I did consider Bloodbirds but still went with my first choice.
----
03.06.2011 - 17:25
Candlemass
Defaeco
Yep I'm with the popular opinion
Not Unlike The Waves
Falling Snow
03.06.2011 - 17:28
Yugosaki

Our Fortress Is Burning II
----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEBpRWr2IA
03.06.2011 - 18:36
Luc
Account deleted
My favorite song is Not Unlike The Waves. The melodies, the riffs, everything. It's so epic and it's the song that got me into this band.
04.06.2011 - 00:11
Black Winter

Our fortress is burning II is the first track I've heard from the album and actually the first Agalloch song I've heard, and it's still my favourite.
----
Once the people decides to live, destiny will definetly obey..

T u n i s i a F r e e !
04.06.2011 - 07:50
kkktookmybaby

Falling Snow definatly but second i would say Limbs.. pretty great album
04.06.2011 - 14:39
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Not Unlike the Waves is easily the most superior song for me. Bloodbirds and Falling Snow second. Unfortunately there is some crap on the album. It's like they focus on some songs and just put filler in. I still think it's their best album (mainly from those songs i mentioned. All albums have some crap on them i guess.
04.06.2011 - 17:38
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Is it just me or Fire Above, Ice Below is one of the best agalloch songs
04.06.2011 - 18:00
SoulScarred

That is the perfectiest album ever
I think all of them are great songs but I voted for Limbs, gloomy and touchy I just love it
04.06.2011 - 23:20
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Written by strade on 03.06.2011 at 03:41

"Limbs" is pretty damn close, but the answer has to be "Not Unlike the Waves." That's probably my second favorite Agalloch song overall, behind "In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion." Personally I find The Mantle to be a lot more rewarding overall, but Ashes Against the Grain is still a pretty solid product. Agalloch kills so hard it doesn't really matter.

(P.S.: nice avatar. My favorite death metal album ever)

For me too. Crimson is a perfect composition. One of my all time faves.
06.06.2011 - 13:39
M

Bloodbirds without question. What a emotional piece...
06.06.2011 - 23:51
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Not even a second thought, Not Unlike the Waves is just fucking haunting.
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
07.06.2011 - 07:58
Evil Chip

Bloodbirds, the main theme its absolutely beautiful. This s my favourite album by Agalloch. Limbs is one of my favourites too.