Metal Storm logo
BitterCOld's Top 10 Best Covers Of Non-Metal Songs By Metal Bands

Written by: BitterCOld
Published: 04.06.2011

So the Dane Train released his list of favorite metal acts covering non-metal artists, but anything you can do I can do better. Or something. Actually, not better, just different. And by different I mean better. (Provided you're not the poster who thinks we are the same person? in which case your head might just have blown!) In any case, as with the artists on his list and mine, rather than show originality I'm simply going to cover his concept.

So, without further adieu, here is my list of favorite metal acts re-interpreting non-metal songs. There is no particular order here, just 10 tracks that amuse me.

Darkthrone - Love In A Void - much like their (soon to be appearing) Swiss overlords, the Norwegian black metal duo crop their hair up to Flock Of Seagulls heights, break out the black lipstick, and pay homage to the reigning queen of post-punk/new wave, Siouxsie and her Banshees with Love In A Void.

original

Exodus - Low Rider - The SF Thrash stalwarts take on the theme song to the George Lopez show, giving it a bit of a metal kick in the ass. The laid back shuffle gets some swagger and shred.

original

Anthrax - Got The Time - Frankie Bello and company kick the Joe Jackson song into high gear with an awesome bassline and solo with some crushing riffs. Probably the best track on their last album with Joey Belladonna. Sing along now! Chicken on my head! CHICKEN ON MY HEAD!

original

Celtic Frost - Mexican Radio - Wall Of Voodoo was a relatively obscure 80's new wave band which had an unlikely eMpTy Vee hit with "Mexican Radio". No idea why CF covered it? or how the Swissters even heard it. A good cover, even if Tom G. Warrior's vox aren't as cool as Stan Ridgway's quirky style.

original

Ministry - Roadhouse Blues - Somehow seems a fitting cover that Al and Co., known for raising hell, would pick this The Doors song. The original is an awesome beer-swilling, sing-a-long tune. This version isn't just a party, it's a Texas bar-room brawl? Roadhouse Black & Blues.

original

Buzzov*en - Don't Bring Me Down - The original cheery, cheesy ELO song annoys the crap out of me every time it appears on classic rock radio. Buzzers piss all over it and make it a definite, hateful downer that will have ELO fans sticking forks in the nearest light socket and ELOctrocuting themselves.

original

Anathema - Better Off Dead - The Pink Floydian Doomster's entry marks the first metal cover to actually take a fast song and slow it down. They turn the cheeky song mocking the over self-centered and distill it into a beautiful ballad, which thus beautifully mocks, well, pretty much all of Gen X onward.

original

Carpathian Forest - A Forest - CF's cover is another which takes a song and slows it down. In this case, taking a Cure classic with an awesome bass line and cool guitar parts and strip it down to a near dead electronic piece.

original

Danzig - The Hunter - Everyone's favorite Mr Mojo Risin impersonator takes on the Albert King blues classic, slightly altering the lyrics, has Christ stomp on the distortion pedal and turns it to a blues-metal good time.

well, the King's version isn't on youtube, so I linked Born Under A Bad Sign, live, instead. Albert King > this list.

Lawnmower Deth - Kids In America - Yet another metal band going to the 80's music scene to pluck an oddball for covering. This song is infectious, even with the tempo amplified, the guitars distorted as hell, and the sing-a-long bits even more sing-a-long-y.

original

\m/

Written on 04.06.2011 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 38   Visited by: 456 users
04.06.2011 - 12:42
Goatlord
I always really liked Turisas's cover of 'Rasputin'.
04.06.2011 - 13:02
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Goddamn that Carpathian Forest cover is awesome.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.06.2011 - 13:46
Timmeh
Dudeman
Nice list, I think another good one is 'The Sound of Silence' by Nevermore.
04.06.2011 - 14:47
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
I love the Anathema cover, I remember when I listened to it the first time. One of my favourite all time covers. And it's perfect for what their music was at the time.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.06.2011 - 14:59
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Well done, sir, well done. We shall meet on the field of battle again.
----
(space for rent)
04.06.2011 - 15:55
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Annihilus rulz!!!
04.06.2011 - 16:07
oroboros
My personal favorite is the filthy buzzov*en track.
04.06.2011 - 17:13
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite
Fun read... cept the title is outrageously inaccurate since Anathema are NOT METULL!!
----
Your favorite band sucks.
04.06.2011 - 19:55
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Glad you didn't put 5 Finger Cunt Punch in your list, lol
04.06.2011 - 22:46
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Why didn't anyone think of Anthrax before?
Also, love the Ministry cover. Hearing The Doors song Ministry'd is always a nice feeling.
05.06.2011 - 01:53
SLAYER - ina-gada-davida..........why the fuck did you exclude this?????
05.06.2011 - 02:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Fourth Horseman on 05.06.2011 at 01:53

Don't know why Bittercold excluded it. But I would exclude cause I find it a crappy cover.
slayer did way better covers. F.e. Disorder.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.06.2011 - 02:13
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin

what Marcel said. it was crap. i avoided the various punk covers and Exploited medley (Disorder) as those were pretty much similar in style to begin with.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.06.2011 - 04:06
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
What about: Black Sabbath - Warning (Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation), Sinergy - Gimme Gimme Gimme (Abba) or Motorhead/Girlschool - Please Don't Touch ( Johnny Kidd and the Pirates).
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
05.06.2011 - 04:14
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by M C Vice on 05.06.2011 at 04:06

What about: Black Sabbath - Warning (Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation), Sinergy - Gimme Gimme Gimme (Abba) or Motorhead/Girlschool - Please Don't Touch ( Johnny Kidd and the Pirates).

I had 10. those were my favorite ten. largely because i was familiar with, and like, both the originals and the covers. well, aside from ELO, whose demolition i like.

this is not a complete list, nor is it a list of all my favorite metalicized covers. it's 10.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.06.2011 - 10:48
arcikbtw@gmail.com
arcikbtw@gmail.com
If you like good covers you should listen to Acid Drinkers albums called Fishdick and Fishdick zwei. Both of them all only cover albums, there you can find songs like, New York New York, Chess With The Abyss, Hot Stuff and many more.
05.06.2011 - 11:22
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Liked Dane's list better *awaits bloodshed*
----
7.0 means the album is good
05.06.2011 - 19:53
Deadsoulman
elite
I can't stand the Anathema cover. I think this song works much better in its original punk rock form.

A couple of good (IMO) non-metal songs covered by metal bands that weren't mentioned by you or Dane:
Nevermore - The Sound Of Silence
Ministry - Lay Lady Lay (complete deconstruction of the original, love it)
Adagio - Fame (sort of a non adventurous cover, but this song seems to be made for a metal cover)
Mourning Beloveth - The Weeping Song
05.06.2011 - 23:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Craig this is much better
The Jeff Healey Band - Roadhouse Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHUBOaTYfdU
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.06.2011 - 01:22
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
I really like the Anthrax cover. A few of my favorites are Pain of Salvation- Hallelujah, Helloween- All My Loving, and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=narHqBWkauI
----
06.06.2011 - 09:21
bluegreengod
Account deleted
Somewhere a long time ago I head a bootleg (yes, back when bootleg tapes floated around) of Type O Negative playing 'total eclipse of the heart' live. It was fantastic and I have never been able to find it since.
06.06.2011 - 09:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Guest on 06.06.2011 at 09:21

Somewhere a long time ago I head a bootleg (yes, back when bootleg tapes floated around) of Type O Negative playing 'total eclipse of the heart' live. It was fantastic and I have never been able to find it since.

that would be awesome. they are great cover masters. "Cinnamon Girl" would have made my list if not for Dane's inclusion. "Summer Breeze" is great as well. I saw them with Godflesh and Danzig back in the Bloody Kisses/Selfless/IV era... they played a cover of Sabbath's "Paranoid" that was some god-damn slow (and I was so god-damn drunk after Godflesh's 30min set) i didn't realize it even was "Paranoid" ... i swear, that made that song drag on for 10 minutes.
----

07.06.2011 - 06:59
Susan
Smeghead
elite
Written by Goatlord on 04.06.2011 at 12:42

!!!!!!!! This is the first thing I thought of when I saw this article.

Although BitterCOld here really had a profound impact on my life with some of these awesome covers which were new to me, Turisas would have made it complete
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
07.06.2011 - 18:46
DoomGuard
Written by BitterCOld on 05.06.2011 at 02:13

what Marcel said. it was crap. i avoided the various punk covers and Exploited medley (Disorder) as those were pretty much similar in style to begin with.

but...but...Blind Guardian did a good cover of that song
07.06.2011 - 18:50
Ivor
Staff
staff
Written by DoomGuard on 07.06.2011 at 18:46

Written by BitterCOld on 05.06.2011 at 02:13

but...but...Blind Guardian did a good cover of that song

Riiiight... Not knowing BG it was the only reason I checked the single featuring that cover. I found it totally lacked in the department that made the original stuff cool. So no, BG did not do a good cover of that song.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
07.06.2011 - 19:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Susan on 07.06.2011 at 06:59

Although BitterCOld here really had a profound impact on my life with some of these awesome covers which were new to me, Turisas would have made it complete

profound impact? Shirley you jest.
----

07.06.2011 - 21:18
Deadsoulman
elite
Oh hey, there's also this one which I really loved when I was a teenager:

07.06.2011 - 21:35
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Written by Deadsoulman on 07.06.2011 at 21:18

Oh hey, there's also this one which I really loved when I was a teenager:

I still love it.
ou also have to explain that "Vive Le Feu" is a Bérurier Noir cover, an awesome alternative/punk band
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
07.06.2011 - 23:53
Susan
Smeghead
elite
Written by BitterCOld on 07.06.2011 at 19:27

Written by Susan on 07.06.2011 at 06:59

profound impact? Shirley you jest.

Well, yeah, a little....
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
15.06.2011 - 11:45
immortal83
I have listened to Depeche Mode covers made by In Flames, Rammstein, Lacuna Coil and they are all great. Angra has a incredible cover of Kate Bush's Wuthering heights and also Edguy made a great cover of Ultravox's Hymn.

Hits total: 13779 | This month: 29