Release date: 2011

01. No Grace
02. The Fate Before Fate
03. Guiltless
04. Guilty
05. The End Of Truth
06. Supplicants
07. Banality

Indian's Guiltless is an absolutely horrible and horrifying release. It is relentless, vile, and abrasive. The Chicago quintet abuse their instruments to churn forth a 40 minute platter of hateful sludge-doom guaranteed to ruin your day.

Pounding riffs and crushing mixed with various psychedelic elements to create a harrowing sonic experience that puts one on edge. Mostly powerful, mid-slow pace sludgy riffs, with the occasional foot-on-the-gas and bass-pedal-to-the-metal bars. Not to worry. The fast bit is every bit as vile as the slow. As if the assault isn't harsh enough, enter the vocals. Wow. Hate-filled misanthropic screeches and shouts really push this whole thing over the top. It's almost too much.

Indian have succeeded where virtually every black and death metal band have failed. Black metal might inspire negative emotions. Death metal might have me stomping around the house "RAWRRRR RAWR RAWWWWRRRRR!" Esoteric's Maniacal Vale and Godflesh's Streetcleaner are monolithic albums that crush the very soul? But Guiltless, however, really gets under my skin. There is something about it that unsettles me to the point it makes me very, very angry and unnerved. It just feels so wrong.

Seriously, if they were to pipe this in over the sound system of the local super market, there is better than a 50-50 chance I'd probably snap and choke the living shit out of the crazy cat lady for claiming that 47 cans of Fancy Feast count as one item in the "10 Items Or Less" express lane. And instead of being mollified or trying to help, the clerk and customers would probably start clubbing the both of us with those plastic dividers.

So it's probably a good thing that there is a better chance of me joining Manowar as their pre-show body grease applier than this record being played at a grocer or any other public venue.

If anything the atmosphere and mood is overkill, though, making this a difficult listen. It is a bit too much for moi and will be taken in small doses.

Sorry, Lux Interior and The Cramps, THIS is "bad music for bad people."

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 8
Production: 7

Written on 07.06.2011 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 161 users
07.06.2011 - 14:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
A solid 8/10 from me, maybe more along the lines of 8.5. This album is incredibly raw and spiteful.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.06.2011 - 14:48
Rating: 7
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Same here, a solid 8/10 from me (actually more like a 8,3).
Raw and spiteful indeed... I found it funny that you say it's too much for you XD. Is that feeling similar to the one you get with The Doorway by Neurosis?

Good review for a good album.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.06.2011 - 15:16
oroboros

Mad mad vocals..that dude must have some lungs.
07.06.2011 - 16:29
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.06.2011 at 14:48

Same here, a solid 8/10 from me (actually more like a 8,3).
Raw and spiteful indeed... I found it funny that you say it's too much for you XD. Is that feeling similar to the one you get with The Doorway by Neurosis?

Good review for a good album.
agreed
----
loves 小巫
07.06.2011 - 16:30
Sulac

Interesting. I'm very curious to check out this album. And, very nice review. The plastic divider bit... Lol.
07.06.2011 - 18:13
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I might have scored it higher, but it really does make me uncomfortably angry, it does get under my skin... in limited doses, it's awesome. as a straight listen it's too much, and it's scored basically around where it would it sit in my pecking order for what to listen to.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.06.2011 - 16:19
Pyramid God

Beautiful album cover, ugly music (not in a bad way).
07.02.2012 - 23:26
Evil Chip

Too intense, it's true.
07.02.2012 - 23:31
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Written by Evil Chip on 07.02.2012 at 23:26

Too intense, it's true.

Or, in my opinion, just the right intensity level! Crazy record.
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
12.06.2012 - 20:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Not quite sure why I never bothered with this release. I think in my head it sounded totally different to what it actually is. This is some heavy, dirty sludge. Love it.
01.07.2012 - 21:55
Rating: 8
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Just heard, man I was not ready for this, it attacked me like a rabid grizzly bear. The vocals are just as dirty as the music too.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 6250 | This month: 9