Metal Storm logo
Blind Guardian and Helloween

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 18.05.2006 - 00:36
The last time I made this poll I found it very intersting indeed watching the percentages change. Helloween seemed to be getting closer and closer to Blind Guardian as time went on.

If there is to be a discussion between the best two power metal bands - then surely it will be these two.
The first band that should pop to mind when you think of power metal should be Helloween, but Blind Guardian have carved their way into power metal history as well.

A few years ago, I would have claimed Blind Guardian to be my favorite band - but then I got into Helloween and I have been rather obsessed by them since. Which other band has something as amusing as a pumpkin acting various things in various places? haha
Blind Guardian seem a lot more fantasy oriented where Helloween are more traditional heavy metal oriented, but both are fantastic bands.
I would say Helloween were my favorite, of course - but I am still very interested as to see how the votes will go this time - maybe we will be a little surprised, who knows.

But whatever your opinion on these two bands, let us hear what you have to say.

Thanks!

Poll

Who do you prefer?

Blind Guardian
Helloween

Total votes: 274
19.06.2006 - 13:35
marinBG

I don't really like both, but still I'll vote for Blind Guardian... despite this fact If I could fly is a great song, but its only one for me (for Helloween)
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
21.06.2006 - 14:46
Baz Anderson

well if you are saying you dont like both, does that mean you dont knowmuch by either?
because you really need to know all of Helloween's stuff to be able to pass opinion, they have so much stuff that is all really different and some people like different stuff more and some dont like certain albums..
22.06.2006 - 04:36
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
I voted for Blind Guardian. Ive listened to stuff off all BG albums and have 4 albums and its good to listen to them when im in a really melo-mood or want some powereful power metal to listen to, which i enjoy alot more than Helloweens material. Helloween are good dont get me wrong, but i just prefer Blind Guardian over them.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
27.06.2006 - 12:08
Miki
Account deleted
Right now i'm enjoying Helloween's music more, so my vote goes to them. Blind Guardian is a very good band too, but right now they're not my favorite
10.07.2006 - 05:19
Kane
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 23.05.2006 at 14:56

yeh - Helloween do diverse a bit more
which is the only good Blind Guardian album in your opinion then - i would have a guess at 'Imaginations From The Other Side'
that would be my favorite Blind Guardian album - but i do like all their others a lot as well

You're right. Imaginations from the other side is the only Blind Guardian album I can tolerate. This is because it is probably their best album.
10.07.2006 - 14:05
Baz Anderson

Kane: how come it is the only one you can tolerate? i mean id you dont like the more symphonic and folky stuff on the later albums, surely you would love their first three albums. they are a lot more 'speed metal' and thrashier in ways
31.07.2006 - 21:53
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Blind Guardian and helloween, i just voetd in primal fear VS gamma ray and was hard, now other choice is in door...Well, i think Blind Guardian could be my option instead helloween, the facts is: Helloween line up has been changed since many years ago, the troubles and some hard moments are reflected in their works, Of course i prefer Wiekath than Andre olbrich, but i think BG has been directed to other direction, more progresive and bombastic. Helloween is more directed to revisite their past days...BG rules!
03.08.2006 - 23:00
Freyya

It's hard to choose, cause Helloween has so much energy as well as Blind Guardian...but I'll go with the second one because I like most of their albums, specially "Live"
----
"Music was invented to confirm human loneliness"
04.08.2006 - 18:43
Ahto

Blind Guardian is awesome but i went for Helloween because they are the first pm band that i like and i think they are making better stuff than BG
04.08.2006 - 21:34
Baz Anderson

yeh. from what i have heard of the new Blind Guardian album - it seems to lack the really really catchy chorus' they had before
it still sounds really good though
but i mean there are a load of really catchy songs on the new Helloween album. maybe they arent so much for other people, but 'Pleasure Drone' especially - its even in my head now and i lavent listened to it in probably a couple of months
04.08.2006 - 22:15
tulkas
el parcero
blind guardian all the way!! Although they´re not one of my favorite bands, I still like them a lot, I think they´re great musicians and although the new album isn´t as good as I expected it, I still think it´s really good. Besides, for some reason I´ve never really liked Helloween, no particular reason, I just don´t like it
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
05.08.2006 - 03:04
Daru Jericho

I think the new Helloween album is better than the new BG one but the BG one is still listenable.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

10.08.2006 - 19:18
Graveshift

I would really like to say Blind Guardian as i have liked them for a longer time than i have even known helloween and i have heard a lot more by them ... but i don't think i can .. really i do like Blind Guardian a lot but i think i am going to have to vote Helloween . . .

Recently (as Baz knows) i have got two Helloween albums and they really did sound great .. .. .. i feel that for the moment Helloween seem to have much more of an influence in my mind than Blind Guardian do ... maybe this will change with the new Blind Guardian album, but for now my vote is Helloween . . .
----
"We are the sons of a new millenium!!"
10.08.2006 - 21:41
Baz Anderson

Written by Graveshift on 10.08.2006 at 19:18

I would really like to say Blind Guardian as i have liked them for a longer time than i have even known helloween and i have heard a lot more by them ... but i don't think i can .. really i do like Blind Guardian a lot but i think i am going to have to vote Helloween . . .

Recently (as Baz knows) i have got two Helloween albums and they really did sound great .. .. .. i feel that for the moment Helloween seem to have much more of an influence in my mind than Blind Guardian do ... maybe this will change with the new Blind Guardian album, but for now my vote is Helloween . . .

you've decided to pay the site another visit. thats good - you should come on more often

but yeh - the same happened with me - Blind Guardian were the best, but then there was just the same stuff over and over again
Helloween are something different every time - funny and amusing too, emotions Blind Guardian dont stimulate in their music
Helloween's albums are so different to each other as well from the 'genré defining' 'Walls Of Jericho' to the hard rock 'Chameleon' and the modern sound of the new album

Daru Jericho: oh wow! you really think that?
i havent heard the new Blind Guardian album yet, i am waiting for it to come out
19.08.2006 - 08:00
MorGoTh--
Account deleted
I voted for Blind Guardian man because since their album bruises? his constan pi face good album by desu good album. I one toujour Ti business again each album to still like them plus.pi with a singer as hansi in a group as so ke still meilleur.scuse me I make speak right French fec I took an English traducteur.mon is very movais
11.09.2006 - 16:11
Braxil
Account deleted
Blind Guardian are way more consistent, but the Keepers own all. My vote goes to BG.
15.09.2006 - 18:11
Warheart24/7
Account deleted
both 2 bands have 2 periods.the first and second(thrashy power & power)
from first period i like BG cause they know more than anyone how to marry power with thrash
and from second i like helloween cause i dislike the choiry parts of guardian

but my vote for sure goes to guardian maybe because is the band i spend the most time with
15.09.2006 - 21:07
Baz Anderson

yeh, i think its surprising really the amount of people who actually dont like the new Blind Guardian chorus' and that sort of stuff
there are quite a few people that arent too fond of 'Nightfall In Middle Earth'
25.09.2006 - 19:18
Tydirium
Account deleted
Blind Guardian owns Helloween in any case.

I do not like the new stuff of Blind Guardian, but "Nightfall in Middle-Earth"
is the greatest power metal album of all time and there older stuff is great
and absolutely loud!

But I do like Helloween, too, because they are very influential (escpecially in
Germany) and bands like Gamma Ray or Iron Savior were only formend be-
cause of the early Helloween stuff.
18.11.2006 - 04:13
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I voted BG. you know, Blind Guardian = Tolkien... And Tolkien is god.
Well, now seriously, Blind Guardian is more.. epic, faster, Hansi's voice is unique, while Andy's voice is fucked up. Helloween is not so kick ass now, while Blind Guardian still is.

I remember one moderator (i think it was wratchild) said once "Every poll that puts Blind Guardian against othe rband will be won by Blind Guardian, except maybe, if they're in a Poll vs. Iron Maiden." And I completely agree.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
18.11.2006 - 04:43
Baz Anderson

yeh, but i was not as interested in the result of the poll here, as i am the reasons as to why people like Blind Guardian more - because i used to like Blind Guardian more but then Helloween swayed me around and now i like them a lot more
so i thought it would be interesting to see why people liked whichever band more

(even after the poll had been going five days, Helloween spent that time winning. it all turned around when the masses started voting though)
23.11.2006 - 18:18
northerfreak
Account deleted
Its helloween for me. so much awsome material especially the the kiske era of the band i'm just not really into blind guardian
22.03.2007 - 14:31
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
I prefer blind guardian because I like their music more than Helloween plus I havn't heard much of helloween
----
that which shines without names and forms...
22.03.2007 - 14:34
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Ah, no wonder Blnd guardian is leading!
----
that which shines without names and forms...
22.03.2007 - 14:37
FrOsTmOuRnE 0_o
Account deleted
I vote for BG cause they are just so fantastic reminds me of mystical objects
22.03.2007 - 15:11
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I voted Blind Guardian. I think that they are much more creative and unique than Helloween, even though helloween is good.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
22.03.2007 - 19:19
Fade-To-Black86
Account deleted
I voted BG, and it was a hard decision. 6 months before I would have chosen BG without bouts, but these last months I've been listening Helloween much more, probably because I was practicing the bass of some of their songs for my band, but then I ended been adict to the Keepers (including The Legacy, which I found as good as its predecesors) and many songs from their other albums. However, finally I chose BG because they have more unique music, when i listen their 4 masterpieces (TftTW, SFB, IftOS, NiME) I feel like I were transported to some magical world, and their folk elements are always incorporated in a beautiful way. Also, I have to say that BG is probably the band that has caused more impact in my musical life, when I listened The Curse Of Feanor for the first time, I felt a kind of power covering my veins, and soon I was getting most of their discography. That sensation has happened to me only with other two bands: Iron Maiden (in my first metal days, with Phantom Of The Opera) and Virgin Steele (with Perfect Mansions).

Long text, eh?:P
22.03.2007 - 22:30
UpTheIrons666

Well this was a tough one. I am a huge fan of both bands, but I had to go with Guardian. They have been alot more consistent in the quality of their releases and while I really enjoy Helloween, they just dont stand up to Blind Guardian.
22.03.2007 - 23:12
Bitch Boy

I've voted Helloween. This was one of my first metal bands, and I like their progression and different stages, power, heavy, speed. Also they have very good songs (this doesn't mean BG don't have good songs), for example "If I could fly", "Eagle fly free", "Power", etc. Another fact is that some (former) Helloween members have formed or have participated other good bands such as Gamma Ray, Masterplan, Avantasia, the Roland Grapow solo project, and many more.
22.03.2007 - 23:13
darksun

I am not a big fan of both so all i can see blind guardian is a bit difficult or may be complicated to get used to at first time.I and friends of mine who don't like BG so much had to leave some spare time to like them.But helloween is a band that gets you easier and shorter.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..