34 users:
Band: Catacombs
Album: In The Depths Of R'lyeh
Style: Funeral doom metal
Release date: 2006

01. In The Depths Of R'lyeh
02. Dead Dripping City
03. At The Edge Of The Abyss
04. Where No Light Hath Shone... (But For That Of The Moon)
05. Fallen Into Shadow
06. Awakening Of The World's Doom (Reprise)

Catacombs is a band that was formed during the birth of the first half of the 00s and it is the one-man project of the persona behind the mysterious nickname Xathagorra Mlandroth [John Del Russi]. After some EPs during 2003/2004 the band managed to return during 2006 with its first full-length release, "In The Depths Of R'lyeh", and what an almighty and utterly promising debut album it is i must confess! Catacombs move in funeral-driven doom/death metal sounscapes, something we can refer to in otherwords as extreme doom metal, and Xathagorra definitely knows what he's doing! While listening to this US band you may notice Evoken references, but in a slower pace, and of course the distressing feeling we all loved in the guitars of diSEMBOWELMENT is present in the agonising floating guitar melodies (without the more upbeat outbursts of the Australian legends), something i highly appreciated since it's not something everyone can achieve if he can't feel it deep inside!

With respect to the doom metal scene of the 90s, Catacomb create their own world of mourning and doleful shades, a world drowning in oblivion and oppresion with every single second passing by as the album goes on! "In The Depths Of R'lyeh" at times sounds like down-tempo doom/death, downtrodden and grieving, whereas at others it becomes dangerously funeral, lowering the tempo even more! The guitar work is simplistic, but who really cares, it's funeral doom/death metal we're talking about, which means meaningful and filled with atmosphere/emotion guitar work through simplicity. Whether it is soul-crushing and ultra heavily distorted slow, at times a slightly bit more upbeat, riffing, or those distressing floating melodies i was talking about above, the guitars never fail to evoke an intense sense of loss and abandonment. The rhythm section couldn't interpret faster than the guitars, it always paces in the same tempo as them, with the drumming sounding imposing, evoking walls of sound, and the bass lines unfolding desperate sequences in the air. As for the vocals, they are deeply expressive, unearthly and weeping grunts that never fail to escalate the intensity of Catacombs' atmosphere.

For more than 70 minutes "In The Depths Of R'lyeh" is going to entrance your existence through your wandering in the corridors of dreadful desires, losing your self "in the depths of r'lyeh" as you slowly find the "dead dripping city" "at the edge of the abyss", there "where no light hath shone but for that of the moon" in a world that has "fallen into shadow"; and you are left there, waiting, praying for "the awakening of the world's doom"! Fans of the funeral doom/death metal scene won't feel disappointed, on the contrary, so proceed, oh forlorn souls!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 22.09.2006 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 15   Visited by: 109 users
22.09.2006 - 02:59
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Good stuff but this man did it far better with Hierophant
22.09.2006 - 10:16
blk dude
Account deleted
I couldnt stand this album
22.09.2006 - 10:28
Damnated
Churchburner
never liked Hierophant really, but this project is very good. I was hesitating to check it out, thought it will be something similar. but no. the band name is the perfect description for the music.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
22.09.2006 - 12:20
ylside

Great album indeed. At first listen it seemed to me average, but after some other spins you really begin to feel the 'catacombs' surrounding you. A must of funeral Doom/Death fans.
22.09.2006 - 16:11
Rating: 7
Götter
I prefer Hierophant too and this is one album which actually grew old quickly. 8.0, no more.

This is something we can refer to in other words as "ultradoom".
22.09.2006 - 17:08
Valar
IndianSteel
Great Album, the first Funeral Doom Album i heard
Nice Review.
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
23.09.2006 - 15:28
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
This one is a real good album.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
06.06.2010 - 01:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Holy shit, I never realised how fucking spectacular the cover art is (just shows you how many CD's I buy). Is it original art for the album or was it just ripped off some famous artist?

And Hierophant sucks donkey peen in comparison to this.
06.06.2010 - 11:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 06.06.2010 at 01:05

And Hierophant sucks donkey peen in comparison to this.

Totally agreed. I don't understand people that find Hierophant superior.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.11.2010 - 07:12
Rating: 8
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Thanks for the review, I found this album thanks to you man, and I fucking love it, it's perfectly balanced in my opinion, somewhere between this world and the horrors depicted by H. P. Lovecraft, I listen frequently to this album because it's perfect as an atmosphere creator.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
16.11.2010 - 10:18
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Written by Daggon on 16.11.2010 at 07:12

Thanks for the review, I found this album thanks to you man, and I fucking love it, it's perfectly balanced in my opinion, somewhere between this world and the horrors depicted by H. P. Lovecraft, I listen frequently to this album because it's perfect as an atmosphere creator.

I'm glad i was that helpful, you're very welcome!
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
08.06.2011 - 05:31
SymphonyImpaled

Great Doom album... The atmosphere is pure insanity. I just wish doom metal didn't make me so impatient.
12.06.2011 - 09:52
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Perfect album for taking a voyage into the utter darkness... and one more thing this album well matches the atmosphere in the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R along with Evoken' Antithesis of Light... So desolate, so bleak so fucking fantastic
08.10.2011 - 02:17
@gent_-_orange

Great atmosphere on this album. Funeral Doom is quickly becoming a favourite of mine.
11.07.2022 - 04:32
Xathagorra

Written by Guest on 06.06.2010 at 01:05

Holy shit, I never realised how fucking spectacular the cover art is (just shows you how many CD's I buy). Is it original art for the album or was it just ripped off some famous artist?

No, I didn't "rip it off" like some low-life human. I paid just over $3,000 (which is borderline extortion) to have it done and did the art direction myself.

I know I'm responding to an age-old post here, but I was only recently directed to it, and this needed to be clarified.

Hits total: 9476 | This month: 6