06. Children Of A Faceless God
07. When All Is Lost

Disc II
01. Electric Messiah
02. Prometheus (I Am Alive)
03. Light Up The Night
04. The Lords Of Chaos
05. Reign In Madness

After a run of hugely successful albums, Symphony X have the expectations of the world on them for the release of album number eight, a concept album on man's growing reliance on technology; Iconoclast. A trademark crushing Michael Romeo riff opens up the album bravely with the eleven-minute long title track.

Iconoclast is a culmination of elements from the band's history with a harder edge than before. Everything that made the last Symphony X albums so enjoyable can be found on here somewhere; the progressive dynamics, Romeo's masterful guitar riffs, or the voice of one of our generation's greatest metal singers. Russell Allen's singing is once again one of the most enjoyable aspects of Symphony X, although at various points he does emulate Ronnie Dio's mannerisms a little too closely.

Each song on the album brings a different element to the final piece, but the real magic happens mostly in the second half of the album. The hard-hitting "Heretic" brings the album to life, but the closing trio of "Electric Messiah", the infectious "Prometheus (I Am Alive)" and nine-minute epic "When All Is Lost" make for the most majestic closing a Symphony X album has ever had in absolutely stunning form.

Although the band made a conscious effort to make Iconoclast an accessible album, it is a progressive metal album of the highest quality at the end of the day - and they don't come readily accessible. Once again Symphony X show us how classy and professional they are; it won't be long before they are recognised as one of progressive metal's all-time finest. Unless that time has come right now with the release of Iconoclast.

--

Progressive metal
U.S.A.
Length: 1:02:54
Nuclear Blast

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 12.06.2011 by Member of Staff since 2006

Guest review by
AndMetalForAll
Rating:
Symphony X returns after four years of absence. Iconoclast before the release was regarded as one of the most expected albums of the year. The confirmation of the new direction of the band, in my opinion, was one of my true concerns.

The album is divided in two CDs, the first one a more powerful, progressive, and strong style. For me the band is way better and feels more comfortable in this style. Every performance is really great, combining amazing vocal abilities, strong riffs and fast drum parts. The first CD starts with one of the best songs of the album, the homonymous "Iconoclast" with a great Russell Allen showing that he is one of the best metal singers nowadays. The opening song sets the tone for what comes next, probably the most enraged set of straight songs Symphony X had the talent to compose.

Read more ››
published 24.11.2011 | Comments (14)

Comments

Comments: 113   Visited by: 832 users
12.06.2011 - 20:31
MechanisT
Account deleted
Solid review. Absolutely agreed on the "harder edge" part. I wasn't expecting the new Symphony X to hit me as hard as it did. One of the best from Symphony X, in my opinion. Excellent album.
12.06.2011 - 20:38
Rating: 9
strade

Yep. Completely agree.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
12.06.2011 - 20:41
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I like their harder edge a lot
----
loves 小巫
12.06.2011 - 20:53
Rating: 8
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Hmm hmm... I agree with the review almost completely although I wouldn't give a 9 to the album. Romeo's riffs are very repetitive at a time and mostly structured with the same groove. It really is a good album but not a masterpiece as the previous three I think.
----
12.06.2011 - 20:56
Kingface

Sounds like it's a great album, not that I would expect any less!
12.06.2011 - 21:13
Milena
gloom cookie
Completely awesome album. I prefer Theater over SyX, but I don't think Theater can top this release this year
----
7.0 means the album is good
12.06.2011 - 21:39
opeth771

I am simply by this album... The hard riffs KICK ASS and have me headbang like crazy. They have once again released a very high quality album. This album DESTROYS!
12.06.2011 - 22:49
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Mm... harder edge people are talking about... gonna check this our as soon as possible. Good concise review by the way.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
12.06.2011 - 22:53
Rating: 10
Daniell
_爱情_
A stellar release. I can't imagine Dream Theater topping it this year.
12.06.2011 - 23:06
godisdead

Looks fucking amazing. Now we have to wait for the dream theater album.
13.06.2011 - 00:09
opeth771

Written by godisdead on 12.06.2011 at 23:06

Looks fucking amazing. Now we have to wait for the dream theater album.

Who cares about Dream Theater.... Cr@ppy band with awesome musicians and a very bad singer
13.06.2011 - 00:18
BlankFile

Im waiting for the whole piece (2 cd special edition arriving in 10 days) to give a proper opinion about this release. But so far from what i´ve listened, i enjoyed a lot. It looks really promising, with spectacular moments. It clearly follows the vibe of the last one "Paradise Lost". The best Symphony X release? No, because V in my opinion cannot be surpassed. One of the best SX Releases? Oh yeah!
13.06.2011 - 04:37
Rating: 6
imspazzen

SymphX deliver again! This review makes it harder to wait for it to arrive!
13.06.2011 - 11:48
Glabrezu

Strong review, I'm preordering the album in these days and I'm sure I wont' be disappointed

Written by BlankFile on 13.06.2011 at 00:18

The best Symphony X release? No, because V in my opinion cannot be surpassed.

Ehehe I totally agree with you, even though I haven't listened Iconoclast yet
----
Exploring life
Without fear without feeling
I am one with my torment
And forever blind
13.06.2011 - 14:11
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Glabrezu on 13.06.2011 at 11:48

Strong review, I'm preordering the album in these days and I'm sure I wont' be disappointed

Written by BlankFile on 13.06.2011 at 00:18

The best Symphony X release? No, because V in my opinion cannot be surpassed.

Ehehe I totally agree with you, even though I haven't listened Iconoclast yet

So how do you know if you haven't listened yet? What does it say about your assessment of the album if you judged it before hearing it?
13.06.2011 - 14:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Daniell on 13.06.2011 at 14:11

So how do you know if you haven't listened yet? What does it say about your assessment of the album if you judged it before hearing it?

I think it says that he doesn't believe anything they release will trump V, given that it's probably one of his favorite albums.

After all, I don't expect Slayer to release anything that will ever best Hell Awaits.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.06.2011 - 14:28
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Im on my second listen to the full 2 disc version of the album, and it's a bit too early to give definitive thoughts and a rating to the album, but I disagree with the review that it takes till "Heretic" for the album to take off.

After the epic title track, which will take another listen or 2 to digest, "The End Of Innocence" strikes out in melodic bliss, and is an immediate, great song. The intensity is then ramped up with the vicious "Dehumanized" a tuneful song offset with evil sounding riffs, and then the speed metal assault of "Bastards Of The Machine" just raises the intensity still further! I think the album kicks off in awesome fashion. xD
13.06.2011 - 14:47
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.06.2011 at 14:22

Written by Daniell on 13.06.2011 at 14:11

I think it says that he doesn't believe anything they release will trump V, given that it's probably one of his favorite albums.

After all, I don't expect Slayer to release anything that will ever best Hell Awaits.

I did believe Hell Awaits could be beaten and I got Reign in Blood
Everyone has the right to expect what they want, of course, but if we always expect to be disappointed, how can we ever be delighted?
13.06.2011 - 17:48
iMorphball

Incredible album. Romeo's riffs are just killer!
13.06.2011 - 18:41
Angelic Storm
Melodious
The album really does have be listened to as it was originally intended to get the full experience! Both Michael Romeo and Russell Allen have stated that the tracklisting of the special edition is the way they intended the album to be, and that "Reign In Madness" was always intended to be the final track on the album. It was the record company who insisted on there being a single disc version. But the double album is the proper album, and the way the band originally wanted it to be.

Baz made a great point about "When All Is Lost" being a majestic album closer, and although technically it doesn't conclude the full album proper, he made a great point. Its a wonderfully melancholic, dramatic epic very worthy of finishing off the album. A truly amazing song. But I'm guessing the band wanted the album to end on a very dark, aggressive, extremely pessimistic note, which is why "Reign In Madness" is the actual closing track. The lyrics in the song do seem to conjure up a picture of the end of humanity, and that there is no more hope. Listening to the full album (although I obviously still don't own the cd and so dont fully know the album's concept) does put the album in a totally different light, and it makes a lot more sense. The songs near the tail end of the 2 disc edition, do sound very dark and ominous sounding. "Light Up The Night" in particular is an absolutely ferocious track, although it's tempered with some beautiful melodies also. A stunning song really. xD

Its hard to know exactly how I'll end up placing "Iconoclast" alongside their other albums, but what is sure, is Symphony X have created another total masterpiece which may even turn out to be their best work yet. Which after the ridiculously high quality of their last two albums would be no mean feat for sure! Potential album of the year for me, just awesome stuff! \m/
14.06.2011 - 03:33
Rating: 7
Fat & Sassy!

To me, it just seems like they just refined the direction they were going in regard to Paradise Lost. They basically took the elements of their earlier albums and combined it with Paradise Lost, eliminating the annoying shit on that album, like the over-usage of Allen's more aggressive vocals, the under-mixing of keys, and the overall "hey look how heavy this is" impressions. Also, this is definitely a riff album. My god. Romeo just craps out so many awesome riffs... I just don't know what to do with myself after a few songs in. XD
14.06.2011 - 09:14
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Symphony X is one of those bands that can seemingly do no wrong.
14.06.2011 - 09:29
DorianGray

Nomnom I am in love again ..
This band never ceases to amaze me !

And Sir Russel Allen is an incredible funny and kind person.
I have met him at the Star One concerts a few years back in the Netherlands.
Gods he is a huge man though ..

SymX is one of the best bands still excisting
----
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful."
14.06.2011 - 17:30
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I thought there was no way in hell they could top "Paradise Lost", but Ive been made to eat my words... the new album is even better than it! I highly doubt I'll hear a better album all year, hearing the full double album totally floored me. Pinella, Rullo, Allen and Romeo are all in amazing form on it! xD
14.06.2011 - 21:06
DoomGuard

Wow, it's great knowing that a band as big as Symphony X hasn't let success get in the way of their creativity
15.06.2011 - 00:52
Raziel X

Another great release that leaves the genre competition behind

well worth my money definitely
15.06.2011 - 01:43
Rating: 5
Wes

Worst review ever. This album is awful.. come on guys. The band has lost it.
15.06.2011 - 02:06
strade

Hey, Wes, why don't we try a little thing called respect? I can completely understand disagreeing with a common opinion but please do it with decency.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
15.06.2011 - 03:29
Rating: 7
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Wes on 15.06.2011 at 01:43

Worst review ever. This album is awful.. come on guys. The band has lost it.

Don't like album = review automatically terrible?

I hope you're just trollololin', bro.
15.06.2011 - 04:39
Xtopher

If you check the SX forums you will find that the great majority thinks that this is an uninspired album with no heart, crappy lyrics but a perfect sound. I can relate to that, but nevertheless im enjoying it very very much. I can understand they are now with Nuclear Blast so they have to make the music more accesible to everyone, and knowing that another "V" will never be written, i can live with this kind of album.

Iconoclast, Electric Messiah, When all is lost and Reign in Madness are the best ones.
----

Hits total: 25641 | This month: 23