Metal Storm logo
Septicflesh and The Great Mass Tour in Toulouse, 23/05/11

Event: Septicflesh: The Great Mass Tour
Written by: Darkside Momo
Published: 13.06.2011

Galleries:

The Great Mass Tour in Toulouse by Darkside Momo (11)
Septicflesh - Svart Crown,Toulouse,France,23/05/2011 by Moocher (15)

Back in 2008, at Hellfest, Septicflesh were beyond awesome. Now it's time to see them again, especially after this great new album that's called The Great Mass?

Sadly, only a bit more than 170 persons came to this show, the last of the Greeks' French Tour. Maybe it's because it was a Monday, maybe because they'll play in less than one month at Hellfest again (and that also applies for Svart Crown), but it's sure the audience was way too small for such a nice bill? Anyway, those who didn't come missed out some great moments, as you'll see?

Valet Parn

Now that was a 'meh' start, to say the least. This band is somewhat modern Gothenburg in its music, with correct grunts and riffs? But the lead vocalist is terrible. OK, maybe not that bad, but certainly belonging to the 'what-the-fuck-is-he-doing-here' category, as he's more on a heavy metal style (and not really good, sadly), so he really didn't fit with the rest of the music. Except on one mellow song, which was really lame too, but where at least we didn't felt like we had one band playing with the singer of another. All in all, a completely forgettable performance.

Curious anyway? Their Myspace is here.

W.E.B.

Now that was better. Better, sure, but not awesome, as their music had nothing really original. It was well played and catchy, prompting some headbanging in the crowd, with their Deathstars/Samael influenced modern (extreme) metal. One could also find some Hypocrisy hints, with a bit of a Moonspell mood at times to flavor it all. So, that's about it, an average-to-good band that got the job done and made us forget Valet Parn!

Curious? Here's their Myspace.

Svart Crown

When Svart Crown entered the stage was the moment when the mean business started for real.
First, their music is all about aggression. While not über original, their black/death is powerful, catchy, and the violence is nicely magnified in a live setting. Second, it seems these Frenchies tour all the time. It shows, really, as they're tight as, you know, the proverbial duck's ass. I mean, they even had to chance the drummer's pedals during the set, but no one really noticed at first, because JB and co. did jam a bit, with solos and guitars rumbles all along as if what they were doing was completely natural, and always part of the song (none other than "Of Sulphur And Fire").
The audience, while receptive, didn't really react much more than some headbanging, waiting for the headliner, so JB's calls for a circle pit and stuff went almost unheeded (I'm pretty sure it won't be the same at Hellfest, however!).
Maybe they're not the most original band around, but they're brutally efficient and powerful. A great live band!

Septicflesh

The main question before the show was, of course, "would Sotiris be there or not?" Sadly, the answer was no? (For those who wonder what it is all about, well, Sotiris doesn't tour with the band, and only do a few exceptional shows - for all I know, it's because of his day job).

I must say, the show started well, with the audience finally reacting for real, and Spiros being charismatic as always? Yet, I was a bit disappointed at first. I had so great memories of Hellfest 2008 that I was expecting a lot; and truth be said, they seemed a bit less enthousiastic - sure, 170 persons hardly compare to a few thousands. Anyway the show went smoothly, gaining momentum, the band warming to the great welcome they received. And it must be said that the new songs are absolute killers live, as were the ones out of Communion, of course.

The show ended after the encore, with the crowd shouting "Happy Birthday" to Fotis, Septicflesh's drummer. Ended? NOT! We, the crowd, shouted so much that the band came back for another encore. Spiros told us that they had to play a song they already did (not surprising, since the band is relying heavily on samples for the orchestral parts), and he gave us the choice between "Anubis" and "Pyramid God". The latter won the day easily, and the moshpit was in full swing again. Plus, both Svart Crown's JB and Septicflesh's roadie stagedived during the song.

Moments like these can easily redefine 'awesome'.

Setlist
The Vampire From Nazareth
Communion
A Great Mass Of Death
Virtues Of The Beast
Unbeliever
Pyramid God
Lovecraft's Death
Oceans Of Grey
DNA
We, The Gods
Esoptron
Persepolis
Encore
Anubis
Five-Pointed Star
Encore 2
Pyramid God

Conclusion

The evening evolved from shitty to awesome. Whether at Hellfest or elsewhere, catch Svart Crown or Septicflesh live if you can!

Pics by Momo and Moocher

Many thanks to Moocher for the accreditation, and to the whole SPM crew who organized the show! Also thanks to Collin, Pierre and Miki for the beers!

Written on 13.06.2011 by Once your regular Hellfest reporter, now retired. I (strangely enough) listen to a lot of metal. And enjoy good beers, comics, novels and role-playing games.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 178 users
13.06.2011 - 05:38
Pyramid God

The music Septicflesh makes sounds like they made it just for me. Communion and The Great Mass are two of the finest albums ever created in my humble opinion. I would love to see these guys and hopefully they will come through my neck of the woods again someday.
16.06.2011 - 00:24
Abattoir

Cold-blooded setlist...I'd love to see them live.

By the way, some very cool photos up there...
23.06.2011 - 05:05
Zealot644

I listened for 5 seconds to A Great Mass Death and was like "Boring, typical death metal."

Then I actually listened. I have been a fan ever since. I love Septicflesh's stuff.
23.06.2011 - 20:42
Reaper_Redeemer

Hope for a long tour in their home too, Greece...
25.06.2011 - 16:08
s_t_s

Hmm who handled the clear vocals as Sotiris wasn't here ? Sounds a bit disappointing Now I wish Septicflesh offers someday a show with a real orchestra and then i'll be there !

Btw a great mass of death is so awesome !
25.06.2011 - 16:27
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by s_t_s on 25.06.2011 at 16:08

Hmm who handled the clear vocals as Sotiris wasn't here ? Sounds a bit disappointing

As for the Communion tour, samples were used And yeah that's a bit dissapointing, I'd really like to see Sotiris once
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"

Hits total: 9715 | This month: 7