02. The Crack
03. Naked Heart
04. Enn
05. Black Lamb
06. Dream on
07. Prisons
08. Vortex
09. Tomorrow Morning Impression

Hey, did you ever believe that one day, nu metal would sound refreshing? Well, in this day and age of Gothenburg/core stuff, this once unbearably trendy musical movement does sound, if not really fresh, at least different. And Onelegman, while not totally nu, do have more than a passing acquaintance with the genre.

The Crack itself is a 31 minutes affair, that feature nine short and varied songs - this way, it nicely avoids the 'boring' adjective. The nu metal parts come to the front pretty quickly, with the prominent bass, sometimes-downtuned guitars (but not that much on the whole, really), usual stop-and-go riffs, and especially because of the singer's voice. He's not bad at all, mind you, but often sounds either like Marilyn Manson or Jonathan Davis - thankfully without the faux teenage angst of the nu metal founders. And all that goes for more than half of the songs (like "See That Truth", "ENN", or "Prisons"). However, that's not all there is to their music. They've got solos - quite a few of them - that are short but nice pieces. They also have that alternative vibe, like on "Naked Heart". And then there's "Black Lamb", somehow the weirdest of the bunch, with its forced System Of A Down groove (Chupacabra, the vocalist, clearly reaches some of his limits here) that co-exists with the band's heaviest riffs and grunts.

In our modern metal world, polluted by so many clones, it's always nice to have a new release that can be at the same time mainstream and alternative, even if it's not exceptional. Enjoyable yet forgettable, Onelegman are certainly not the next big thing, but maybe they're the first sign of the nu metal revival that will probably happen in a few years? If so, they'll probably be better than most. And, hey, not every band has a guitar player that calls himself "Chicken Breast". The very fact that they don't take themselves too seriously is a very good point in my book!

Written on 13.06.2011 by Once your regular Hellfest reporter, now retired. I (strangely enough) listen to a lot of metal. And enjoy good beers, comics, novels and role-playing games.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 88 users
15.06.2011 - 15:37
Pyramid God

Made it through one song....yawn.
15.06.2011 - 17:22
Mindheist
No Longer Human
It seems like they have given you the weirdest bands to review Séb .

I really enjoyed reading them though.
15.06.2011 - 20:09
JD
Account deleted
I thought the guy's head is a boob (am talking about the cover)
16.06.2011 - 00:03
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Mindheist on 15.06.2011 at 17:22

It seems like they have given you the weirdest bands to review Séb .

Well... somehow
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"

Hits total: 5147 | This month: 8