09. Leise Feuer Brennt In Brunst
10. Sack Und Asche
11. Aus Traum Und Tanz. Ein Walzer.
12. Maß Für Maß
13. Der Verfall
14. Flammen Flüstern
15. Neigung Zum Nichts
16. Bühne, Still

Austrian avant-garde act Angizia had its very own course in the world of music. Yet, after their fifth attempt, Ein Toter Fährt Gern Ringelspiel, a long period of silence began. Seven years had to pass for the band to get back on track with Kokon. Ein Schaurig-schönes Schachtelstück, another multi-faceted work that tries to develop the next step upon the sound pathway they started forging since the marvelous Das Schachbrett Des Trommelbuben Zacharias.

Of course they have progressed since then and there's nothing close to metal music in here anymore (except for "Maß Für Maß"). Kokon is the natural continuation of 39 Jahre Für Den Leierkastenmann and Ein Toter Fährt Gern Ringelspiel. Angizia set sail once again in a vast ocean of sounds, emotions and depths filled with intensity, theatrical aura and utterly expressive interpretations. Apart from the elements coming straight from the aforementioned releases, you can't but witness references to Gogol Bordello, transforming the soundscapes from gypsy punk to a gypsy operetta show (due to the absence of distorted guitars) and a Tiger Lilies and Antony and the Johnsons aesthetic getting infused with the theatrical, neoclassical cabaret sound they possess. A post-modern anachronistic, no matter how contradictive it may sound, experience of German lyricism and creative genius implementing amusement park, feast and circus aesthetics through a paranoid and highly expressive collective of charismatic musicians.

Kokon is a more straight-forward release and another in depth and introspect work at the same time. A variety of instruments partake, such as the seductive piano, the beauteous viola, the cello, the acoustic guitars and the rhythm section (vivid bass lines and creative drums & percussion!), blending in perfect harmony with Michael's impenetrable core of ever-expanding, ecstatic dementia or more fragile side and Irene's floating, crystal voice. Of course you have to adore the spot-on, non-verbose and affected virtuosity or jamming parts that escalate the compositions whenever they make their grandiose appearance. A big plus has to be the very good and rewarding production, keeping a golden balance between the sound actors in the overall play and giving prominence to any instrument asking for it at the right time, in the right place, without burying the rest.

Angizia have a lot more to offer and I really hope that the next album won't take another seven years to come to the surface. As for now, I will keep on diving in Kokon's thin red line, somewhere between boiling tranquility and explosive drama, anger and melancholy, madness and serenity.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 15.06.2011 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 177 users
16.06.2011 - 01:47
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Never heard of this band before, but I think I would still like something more metal. Mind pointing me to an album of their discography that has a more metallic edge?
----
loves 小巫
16.06.2011 - 01:52
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Written by Ag Fox on 16.06.2011 at 01:47

Never heard of this band before, but I think I would still like something more metal. Mind pointing me to an album of their discography that has a more metallic edge?

The first two are more metal but despite being good they have a more primary and kind of repetitive edge, so i'd say their big masterpiece, "Das Schachbrett Des Trommelbuben Zacharias", the third one You gotta love their titles
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
16.06.2011 - 01:55
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by KwonVerge on 16.06.2011 at 01:52

The first two are more metal but despite being good they have a more primary and kind of repetitive edge, so i'd say their big masterpiece, "Das Schachbrett Des Trommelbuben Zacharias", the third one You gotta love their titles
yeah... i love them, especially when I don't even know how to pronounce them or even know what it means XD But thanks! Just added to my wishlist to remind myself when I'm in for something avantgarde
----
loves 小巫
16.06.2011 - 01:57
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Written by Ag Fox on 16.06.2011 at 01:55

Written by KwonVerge on 16.06.2011 at 01:52

yeah... i love them, especially when I don't even know how to pronounce them or even know what it means XD But thanks! Just added to my wishlist to remind myself when I'm in for something avantgarde

Aight! At first, i had written "blablablabla zacharias" xD but then i said, let's go to the band page and (copy)write it properly xD
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
17.06.2011 - 01:30
Rating: 6
Kuroboshi

You've convinced me to check this out.
17.06.2011 - 01:32
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Written by Kuroboshi on 17.06.2011 at 01:30

Don't expect metal though
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

17.06.2011 - 02:05
Lokaeda
Account deleted
Excellent band
17.06.2011 - 12:37
Rating: 6
Kuroboshi

Written by KwonVerge on 17.06.2011 at 01:32

Written by Kuroboshi on 17.06.2011 at 01:30

Don't expect metal though

I only listen to metal because metal pleases my ears (and metal concerts are waay more fun), and other genres can succeed at that too! One of my fave bands is Swedish Kent, if you know them.
18.06.2011 - 21:17
annodomini

You should imagine how I was shocked when early this year I stumbled on this album in some magazine, and thought "OMG is this the same Angizia?", and the best point is that yes, it's the same Angizia with it's trademark sound. I love what they are doing and thank God that there are no metal in this album, cause this music soounds great the way it is.
----
the riddle wants to be...
18.10.2012 - 20:42
PocketMetal

I love this kinda music , thanks for the review . the only problem I find is some sections sound a lot like Devil Doll but I can't understand the words which makes it a little boring , but there is enough awesome parts . gonna check their other releases .

Hits total: 6297 | This month: 7