Style: Doom metal, Stoner metal
Release date: June 2011

01. Brimstoned
02. Ethereality
03. Godmaker
04. The Original Sin
05. Where The Golden Road Ends
06. The Fire Burns At Dawn

It's time to plunk down some coin on thank you cards. Lazy former reviewers keep bouncing gifts my way? First Collin is too busy being French or something to bother with Ixion's latest awesome endeavor. Now Marcel is too busy luring traveling doom bands to his lair, then punishing their livers with whisky and beer? and forwards Faces Of Bayon my way. Apparently the key to global economic recovery is investing in Hallmark stock.

So? Faces Of Bayon, huh? They are a stoner doom band that hail from Fitchburg, Massachusetts and, if Heart Of The Fire is any indication, their neighbors likely hate them.

They play, well, as one might expect from the prior sentence, stoner-style doom with a heaping side portion of psychedelia. Riffs are slow and low. By low, I mean heavy on the low end. Sounds they dropped the tuning pegs down a few notches? and didn't stop there, bumping the low end while cutting out the high/mid ranges. The band assault you with earth shaking, bone jarring riffs that have a fuzzed out feel. Roared death-style vocals add to the impact.

Drummer Matt Davis plays an integral part in not only keeping the bruising going, but utilizes the slow, fuzzed groove to take the fore from time to time. I love the tribal-sounding tom stomping during the 1:00-2:00 mark of "Ethereality". Sadly, Davis passed away earlier this year, after the recording had been completed?

With just their brand of stoner doom, you've already got a pretty enjoyable album, but they don't stop there. They add loads of brain-melting feedback to close out some of the longer tracks. After the first two tracks and 20 minutes, the band shift gears entirely and break out with "Godmaker", a song reminiscent of a gloomier version of Pink Floyd's "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun". The album also closes out on a trippy vibe with "The Fire Burns At Dawn." Both are nice counters to longed thundering tracks and waves of distorted feedback that proceed them.

So the album, which loosely details the descent of Lucifer from the place with all the clouds to the place with all the fire has a pretty great flow to it. The songs crush, but every two bruising tracks are followed by one of the mellower ones to help you chill before they harsh your buzz (man) and start laying out more mighty riffs.

This, their first album, was dedicated to Matt Davis, and it's a pretty damned good monument.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 15.06.2011 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 149 users
16.06.2011 - 09:25
oroboros

I gotta check this out as asap i reckon..
16.06.2011 - 09:44
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by oroboros on 16.06.2011 at 09:25

good shit. good for those nights when you come back drunk from the bar... not ready to pass out to mellow stuff, but ready to drink 1-2 more to finish the job.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.06.2011 - 14:40
oroboros

Written by BitterCOld on 16.06.2011 at 09:44

good shit. good for those nights when you come back drunk from the bar... not ready to pass out to mellow stuff, but ready to drink 1-2 more to finish the job.

haha..can totally relate to it...on another note: were some members of this band in warhorse too?
16.06.2011 - 14:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by oroboros on 16.06.2011 at 14:40

Written by BitterCOld on 16.06.2011 at 09:44

haha..can totally relate to it...on another note: were some members of this band in warhorse too?

yes, one was.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.06.2011 - 08:54
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Great to see a review of this as it echoes my thoughts as well, and looking forward to the cd release gig tonight in nearby Worcester.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
24.06.2011 - 19:39
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Jason W. on 24.06.2011 at 08:54

Great to see a review of this as it echoes my thoughts as well, and looking forward to the cd release gig tonight in nearby Worcester.

have fun with the faces in WOOSTER. enjoyed the album immensely.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.08.2011 - 01:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Just now received my physical copy of the album. Push delete on the mp3 tracks now, hell yeah.

This album just beckons to be released on vinyl with a cover such as theirs.

Opening a six pack or two now and sitting down to this Heart Of The Fire. Weekend tomorrow and Thursday, so let it commence in style.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 6162 | This month: 7