05. Iced Honey
06. Cheat On Me

Disc II
01. Frustration
02. Little Dog
03. Dragon
04. Junior Dad

Additional info
Composed by Lou Reed with significant arrangement contributions by Metallica.

Produced by Lou Reed, Metallica, Hal Willner and Greg Fidelman.

Recorded by Greg Fidelman and Mike Gillies
Additional engineering by Jim Monti, Dan Monti, Sara Lyn Killion and Kent Matcke.
Mixed by Greg Fidelman.
Assisted by Geoff Neal.

Recorded at Metallica HQ.
Mixed at Sunset Sound.

Mix coordination by Lindsay Chase.

Mastered by Vlado Meller at Masterdisk.

Wax mannequin (about 1900) and other objects: collection of Werkbundarchiv - Museum der Dinge, Berlin.

All music by Lou Reed and Metallica.
All lyrics by Lou Reed.
All Songs © 2011 Lou Reed Music (BMI)/Creeping Death Music (ASCAP).

© 2011 Sister Ray Enterprises Inc/We're Only In It For The Music.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Some people righteously claim that this is not a real Metallica release and thus it can't be viewed as such. I agree. Metallica decided to co-operate with Lou Reed in his interpretation of Alban Berg's opera based on Frank Wedekind's plays "Erdgeist" and "Die Büchse der Pandora". The history behind that opera is as complicated and dramatic as one can imagine, assuming what a dark story it tells.

Read more ››
published 04.11.2011 | Comments (163)

Guest review by
AndMetalForAll
Rating:
Lulu brings back Metallica in a collaboration album with Lou Reed. A German visionary named Frank Wedekind wrote a collection of plays about a woman called Lulu who was both a muse and a mystery, the first form of woman. Most of the songs have death, sexuality, love and spite themes. Although it's not a Metallica album, the expectation was off the charts but the result is terrible.

Read more ››
published 14.11.2011 | Comments (18)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
The worst thing you can possibly do is treat this like a Metallica album. It is not. Lulu is a Lou Reed album that just so happens to feature the guys from Metallica as his backing band. Of course, Metallica still had to go and put their name on it, which recklessly raised people's expectations, and the heavy criticism weighed at this album is largely true no matter how you spin it. Nonetheless, while this was a disappointment, it is not totally devoid of merit, and more of an interesting experiment than a Son-of-St. Anger-sized failure.

Read more ››
published 17.08.2013 | Comments (13)

Found in 17 lists
Top lists

Comments page 11 / 21

Comments: 612   Visited by: 3713 users
05.11.2011 - 02:41
jhook

I actually had a dream where i listened to this and it was the worst thing i'd ever heard, i still remember what it sounded like in the dream.... whats sad is that my subconscious did a pretty good job of predicting what it would sound like, the real thing wasnt much better.
05.11.2011 - 14:32
Rating: 1
Nihillus

It hurts!!
05.11.2011 - 18:39
Rating: 3
Death

I'd rather listen to Bieber than this sh*t.
05.11.2011 - 19:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Kub on 05.11.2011 at 01:04
Eh, is my thumb not on the pulse of the metal scene nowadays! The last Morbid Angel is their best album since Covenant for me. All this fiasco reminds me of angry fan reactions when Coroner released techno remix of "Grin". Such a great track, but all people heard was techno drum.
I remember when Metallica released "Black Album" - I was so disappointed! Took me years to understand they are not playing thrash anymore. But after I digested this fact and accepted it, I had no problem enjoying Load and all the rest. Good music is good music.
And yes, I shouldn't generalize that much.

Nah... I prefer "Domination" and "Gateways To Annihilation", though it is probably better overall than "Heretic". I think the album as a whole has been unfairly bashed, mainly due to the prescence of a couple of really awful songs.

And yep, good music is good music, hence why "Load" not being a thrash album has no bearing on how I view it.

Written by Kvltness_94 on 05.11.2011 at 17:23
It might not be one of the best thrash metal albums ever, but it's one fine avant-garde masterpiece. I'd give it a 7.5/10

Even if it was amazing, it still wouldn't be one of the best thrash metal albums ever, seeing as it isn't even thrash metal...
05.11.2011 - 20:53
JohnDoe
Account deleted

Seriously though, why does everyone hate this album so much??? It's the best one since AJFA imo. Some of the riffs are simply astounding, and Lou Reed's "weird" vocals also add a lot to the musical composition. It might not be one of the best thrash metal albums ever, but it's one fine avant-garde masterpiece. I'd give it a 7.5/10

I for one dislike the album because the combination Reed/Metallica does not work, the narration and singing is atrocious, when Reed stops, it gets bearable a bit but then he is all over the place; even Lars admitted the album is UNstructured with a lot of jamming.
the lyrics are just as bad; maybe the story was groundbreaking for its time, but for 2011 is just weird in a really bad way.

Avantguard masterpiece? Listen to some Zappa, King Crimson, Gong or Can and then...
05.11.2011 - 22:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Some of the riffs are simply astounding

Wait, there was more than one riff?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.11.2011 - 04:06
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.11.2011 at 22:43

Some of the riffs are simply astounding

Wait, there was more than one riff?

Funny thing is, this is a perfectly valid criticism towards Mistress Dread... Geepers, that song rivals Too Extreme! in annoyance. I read a comparison with that song and the infamously shitty Thrash Queen, and the sad thing is, it was an accurate comparison.
06.11.2011 - 04:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 06.11.2011 at 04:06
Funny thing is, this is a perfectly valid criticism towards Mistress Dread

Except nobody's laughing.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.11.2011 - 17:45
John Shock

Written by Death on 05.11.2011 at 18:39

I'd rather listen to Bieber than this sh*t.

Wow, you must hate it to Death, then!
06.11.2011 - 21:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Mehdi Taba on 06.11.2011 at 21:19
Fuck you LOU REED

No mention of Metallica?
----
06.11.2011 - 22:14
Rating: 4
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.11.2011 at 21:27

Written by Mehdi Taba on 06.11.2011 at 21:19
Fuck you LOU REED

No mention of Metallica?

'Cause I think this is not a Metallica album, Lyrics, Concept, Vocals & A lot of music is done by Fucking Lou Reed .
07.11.2011 - 02:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Mehdi Taba on 06.11.2011 at 22:14
'Cause I think this is not a Metallica album, Lyrics, Concept, Vocals & A lot of music is done by Fucking Lou Reed .

You're misguided. It's a collaboration; they aren't guns for hire as Marcel so eloquently pointed out.
----
07.11.2011 - 17:08
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Kvltness_94 on 07.11.2011 at 05:03

Written by Guest on 05.11.2011 at 20:53

Seriously though, why does everyone hate this album so much??? It's the best one since AJFA imo. Some of the riffs are simply astounding, and Lou Reed's "weird" vocals also add a lot to the musical composition. It might not be one of the best thrash metal albums ever, but it's one fine avant-garde masterpiece. I'd give it a 7.5/10

I for one dislike the album because the combination Reed/Metallica does not work, the narration and singing is atrocious, when Reed stops, it gets bearable a bit but then he is all over the place; even Lars admitted the album is UNstructured with a lot of jamming.
the lyrics are just as bad; maybe the story was groundbreaking for its time, but for 2011 is just weird in a really bad way.

Avantguard masterpiece? Listen to some Zappa, King Crimson, Gong or Can and then...

Oh god, I once nearly fell asleep listening to King Crimson's In The Court of The Crimson King. It's not even good as avant-garde, why did they have to employ lots of silence parts on songs like Moonchild and I Talk To The Wind?... Not to mention the title track, which is boring and repetitive as hell, dragging on way too long. Epitaph is the only good song from that album. As for Frank Zappa, he's still slightly better than King Crimson, but in my opinion Hot Rats can't outmatch Lulu's awesomeness.

Speaking about Lulu, I didn't like it at the first time, but when I got desperate and tried to listen to it a bit more, I surprisingly enjoyed it pretty much. It took me about 5-6 listens but now, I totally love it. It was worthy.

wow, are you serious or are you just pulling my leg?

King Crimson not a good example of avant garde music? And Lulu is? ITCOTCK is a repetitive song you say and Lulu does not have repetitive songs? Really?

Zappa's Hot Rats cannot match "the awesomeness" of Lulu? I can't believe you said that; I know it's all a matter of taste, what is a masterpiece for one can be pure garbage for another, but you are the only person on this site to consider Lulu awesome (something I just cannot understand). What is so awesome about it only you know because I don't.

I do not know what else to say, your opinion shocked me pretty much.
07.11.2011 - 18:47
metaniac

I recently atteneded my first Metallica gig ! Imagine my plight after reading this whole page..
you'd rather me.
07.11.2011 - 20:16
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Kvltness_94 on 07.11.2011 at 18:50

Written by Guest on 07.11.2011 at 17:08

Written by Kvltness_94 on 07.11.2011 at 05:03

Written by Guest on 05.11.2011 at 20:53

Oh god, I once nearly fell asleep listening to King Crimson's In The Court of The Crimson King. It's not even good as avant-garde, why did they have to employ lots of silence parts on songs like Moonchild and I Talk To The Wind?... Not to mention the title track, which is boring and repetitive as hell, dragging on way too long. Epitaph is the only good song from that album. As for Frank Zappa, he's still slightly better than King Crimson, but in my opinion Hot Rats can't outmatch Lulu's awesomeness.

Speaking about Lulu, I didn't like it at the first time, but when I got desperate and tried to listen to it a bit more, I surprisingly enjoyed it pretty much. It took me about 5-6 listens but now, I totally love it. It was worthy.

wow, are you serious or are you just pulling my leg?

King Crimson not a good example of avant garde music? And Lulu is? ITCOTCK is a repetitive song you say and Lulu does not have repetitive songs? Really?

Zappa's Hot Rats cannot match "the awesomeness" of Lulu? I can't believe you said that; I know it's all a matter of taste, what is a masterpiece for one can be pure garbage for another, but you are the only person on this site to consider Lulu awesome (something I just cannot understand). What is so awesome about it only you know because I don't.

I do not know what else to say, your opinion shocked me pretty much.

Well, Lulu is definitely not repetitive because it doesn't have conventional, overused song structures like verse-chorus-verse-chorus, unlike ITCOTCK. In Lulu, even if there are only 2-3 riffs per song (fantastic riffs though), we have Lou Reed's extravagant poetry throughout the songs, which makes it interesting and therefore not repetitive. One of the things I love the most about this album is definitely its weirdness, which shows us that avant-garde can still be good, without the introduction of diverse instruments (like KC does, using shitloads of unnecessary saxophones, flutes, acoustic guitars etc...) employing only electric guitar, bass and drum. That part where Lou says "To be dry and spermless like a girl" is prolly my favourite from the album, it just sounds so eerie, unexpected and even creepy. I also enjoy Lars' drumming a lot. He may not be playing fast drum patterns with complicated fills like on their early albums, but his drumming style is thoroughly energetic. The way he hits the snare during certain parts even sends goosebumps down my spine.

You guys have probably heard Lulu once until now. You need to open your mind and listen to it a few more times, because it's definitely a grower, no matter how surprising it may sound/seem.

I tried listening the album the second time, naively trying to discover something there; it made me dislike the album even more. The vocal delivery was even more atrocious than the first time I listened to the album. The lyrics are just as bad; the story must have been groundbreaking for its time, but these days it's just weirdly ridiculous.

I just don't understand people's fascination with Lou Reed; I don't like Velvet Underground or his solo staff. When I tried listening to Velvet Underground sometimes back in the 90s, I was not impressed. I still am not. Supposedly they are inventors of avant garde music and psychedelia?! Across the pond from them, there was Pink Floyd who were much more interesting to me. The music of VU seemed sloppy to me (as seems the music of Lulu).

I get it you dislike King Crimson's debut album; maybe recommending KC's music is not such a good idea considering they are a band pretty hard to get into.

You say I need to open my mind and give the album a second chance? I considering myself pretty open minded, my musical tastes are quite varied. But Lulu is an UNatractive album to me. One listen is enough!
07.11.2011 - 20:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Jesus H there's no need for quoting every single quote...
----
07.11.2011 - 20:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.11.2011 at 20:37

Jesus H there's no need for quoting every single quote...

Yeah, that bugged me a lot... For not mentioning how incredibly stupid is to call this piece of shit "avantgarde".
It's just SO easy to say that word nowdays.
Also Lulu not repetitive?... woah.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.11.2011 - 20:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Not only did he say avant-garde, but an avant-garde MASTERPIECE, and then said he'd rate it 7.5/10.
----
07.11.2011 - 20:56
Slayer666

Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.11.2011 at 20:47

Not only did he say avant-garde, but an avant-garde MASTERPIECE, and then said he'd rate it 7.5/10.

Need I remind you of rule #2 of being a Metalstormer?
07.11.2011 - 20:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Slayer666 on 07.11.2011 at 20:56
Need I remind you of rule #2 of being a Metalstormer?

Shit I forgot. My bad dawg.
----
07.11.2011 - 21:00
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Sorry for all the quoting, my bad.
09.11.2011 - 10:00
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Here's some Metallica and Lou Reed performing on Later With Jools Holland (a music tv show over here in the UK) from last night.

09.11.2011 - 10:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Angelic Storm on 09.11.2011 at 10:00
Here's some Metallica and Lou Reed performing on Later With Jools Holland (a music tv show over here in the UK) from last night.

Someone should've thrown a water bottle at them.
----
09.11.2011 - 10:25
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.11.2011 at 10:03

I think Jools Holland's audience would be too reserved to participate in such behaviour.
09.11.2011 - 13:59
Slayer666

Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.11.2011 at 10:03

Or a table.

I'd love to see them play "The View", "Pumping Blood" or "Junior Dad" at a big metal festival like Wacken. It would be the biggest trolling any band achieved, ever.
09.11.2011 - 19:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I'd travel across the world to throw a table at them.
----
09.11.2011 - 20:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.11.2011 at 19:34

I'd travel across the world to throw a table at them.

If you want to do that, just attend one of their shows, sneak on stage, and then throw James Hetfield at Lou Reed.
09.11.2011 - 20:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Angelic Storm on 09.11.2011 at 20:01
If you want to do that, just attend one of their shows, sneak on stage, and then throw James Hetfield at Lou Reed.

Ba-zing!
----
09.11.2011 - 23:27
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.11.2011 at 20:04
Ba-zing!

For maximum effect, you should do this during "The View"...
10.11.2011 - 03:09
JD
Account deleted
I want to spam and give Lulu a 10.

Hits total: 80077 | This month: 129