06. Cheat On Me

Disc II
01. Frustration
02. Little Dog
03. Dragon
04. Junior Dad

Bottom 20 albums of all time: 1

Additional info
Composed by Lou Reed with significant arrangement contributions by Metallica.

Produced by Lou Reed, Metallica, Hal Willner and Greg Fidelman.

Recorded by Greg Fidelman and Mike Gillies
Additional engineering by Jim Monti, Dan Monti, Sara Lyn Killion and Kent Matcke.
Mixed by Greg Fidelman.
Assisted by Geoff Neal.

Recorded at Metallica HQ.
Mixed at Sunset Sound.

Mix coordination by Lindsay Chase.

Mastered by Vlado Meller at Masterdisk.

Wax mannequin (about 1900) and other objects: collection of Werkbundarchiv - Museum der Dinge, Berlin.

All music by Lou Reed and Metallica.
All lyrics by Lou Reed.
All Songs © 2011 Lou Reed Music (BMI)/Creeping Death Music (ASCAP).

© 2011 Sister Ray Enterprises Inc/We're Only In It For The Music.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Some people righteously claim that this is not a real Metallica release and thus it can't be viewed as such. I agree. Metallica decided to co-operate with Lou Reed in his interpretation of Alban Berg's opera based on Frank Wedekind's plays "Erdgeist" and "Die Büchse der Pandora". The history behind that opera is as complicated and dramatic as one can imagine, assuming what a dark story it tells.

Read more ››
published 04.11.2011 | Comments (163)

Guest review by
AndMetalForAll
Rating:
Lulu brings back Metallica in a collaboration album with Lou Reed. A German visionary named Frank Wedekind wrote a collection of plays about a woman called Lulu who was both a muse and a mystery, the first form of woman. Most of the songs have death, sexuality, love and spite themes. Although it's not a Metallica album, the expectation was off the charts but the result is terrible.

Read more ››
published 14.11.2011 | Comments (18)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
The worst thing you can possibly do is treat this like a Metallica album. It is not. Lulu is a Lou Reed album that just so happens to feature the guys from Metallica as his backing band. Of course, Metallica still had to go and put their name on it, which recklessly raised people's expectations, and the heavy criticism weighed at this album is largely true no matter how you spin it. Nonetheless, while this was a disappointment, it is not totally devoid of merit, and more of an interesting experiment than a Son-of-St. Anger-sized failure.

Read more ››
published 17.08.2013 | Comments (13)

Found in 17 lists
Top lists

Comments page 16 / 21

Comments: 612   Visited by: 3721 users
30.06.2012 - 01:28
Rating: 1
Josh Gottret

What the FUCK is this???
SHAME ON YOU METALLICA, for sell your souls to money and try to make something commercial and different!!!
I can't hear one of this fuck'n songs complete...if i did that, I throw up!
How they can make something like that...it's a deadly sin!!!

I never will understand, how METALLICA makes masterpieces like "Master of Puppets" or "Ride The Lightning" and after so many years achieve a bullshit like this! HOW???

And the worst thing it's that the stupid blind fans always saying "METALLICA RULES" even when they released those shit albums...just saying "AWESOME" for the only reason that is METALLICA...fuck!!!
Metallica was good there, back early in the 90's but now isn't more!
SAD BUT TRUE!!!
30.06.2012 - 03:23
Rating: 8
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Josh Gottret on 30.06.2012 at 01:28

SHAME ON YOU METALLICA, for sell your souls to money and try to make something commercial and different!!!

That sentence makes no sense at all
30.06.2012 - 07:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
What the FUCK is this???

You are incredibly late to the party, bro.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.06.2012 - 12:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.06.2012 at 07:58

What the FUCK is this???

This was supposed to be a party?! Man, I can't even picture the party-equivalent of this shit.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.06.2012 - 17:41
Josh Gottret

Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.06.2012 at 12:10

Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.06.2012 at 07:58

What the FUCK is this???

This was supposed to be a party?! Man, I can't even picture the party-equivalent of this shit.

Yeah, when a shit like that was a party???
These are the guys that I'm talking about...blind fans...anything done by METALLICA would be good for them.
30.06.2012 - 17:51
Rating: 3
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
UPDATE:

30.06.2012 - 18:00
Angelic Storm
Melodious
^^ haha!
30.06.2012 - 18:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.06.2012 at 12:10

It's more like one of those suicidal cult gatherings.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.06.2012 - 18:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Josh Gottret on 30.06.2012 at 17:41
These are the guys that I'm talking about...blind fans...anything done by METALLICA would be good for them.

Really hope you don't think I'm a blind Metallica fan, bro. I don't even really like their material from the '80s with the exception of Kill 'em All.
----
30.06.2012 - 20:36
Josh Gottret

Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.06.2012 at 18:14

Really hope you don't think I'm a blind Metallica fan, bro. I don't even really like their material from the '80s with the exception of Kill 'em All.

Don't worry man...I'm talking about these guys that rank this bullshit like a good album!
30.06.2012 - 21:16
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Josh Gottret on 30.06.2012 at 20:36

Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.06.2012 at 18:14

I'm talking about these guys that rank this bullshit like a good album!

We know.....right?

You didn't get it. AS I've already mentioned, Metallica loves to honor legends and when they came to know that Lou wants to collaborate with Metallica, they just fucking freaked out. Now on my point, were you thinking that this record will be totally Metal? Eh?

So while bashing incessantly( Get over now!) and blaming them to come out with this record will be really pinching Metallica crew won't affect them. Honestly, they don't care what people say, they are really happy with this record.
30.06.2012 - 21:39
Rating: 8
Unhealer
Eclecticist

There is a weird logic to that "blind fan" thing, I always thought it makes no sense.
If I like anything done by Metallica it's just because I happen to like everything the band has released so far. And then you say I like everything they release just because it's Metallica, and that is true in a way since it's a band that happens to make music I really enjoy everytime, but that won't prevent me from disliking something they release in the future in case it doesn't gel with my tastes.

I mean, is there really a person that doesn't like an album but likes it anyway just because it's a Metallica release? Doesn't make any sense, you could fool the rest of the world by saying it's good but you can't lie to yourself.
15.08.2012 - 06:05
FOOCK Nam

Haha it is like country/bard/chanson rock/metal
15.08.2012 - 16:43
JohnDoe
Account deleted
LOL or better ROFLMAO at the style of the album:"experimental rock".
31.08.2012 - 19:35
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Being "experimental" is no excuse for shitty music. I have personally never cared for Lou Reed's music and I probably never will, and I stopped caring for Metallica by the time I listened to Opeth for the first time. I was already expecting this pairing of Metallica and Lou Reed to fail hard, but even this is pushing it. If this album wasn't so unintentionally hilarious, this could easily be my pick for worst album of 2011 or perhaps of all time (Queensryche's new one has the top spot for me). Astoundingly piss poor. The sound of someone farting is closer to actual music than this.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
01.09.2012 - 14:20
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I would call it "lulu metal"

btw i was told German kids say they go "lulu machen" when they need to piss, so this may explain something...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

01.09.2012 - 16:21
Blades Storm

Cliff Burton would be turning in his grave.

This is total crap Metallica needs to get back to there roots and find them selves. Because I think they have lost it. But thats just me. Metallica to me were once the best put now those words burn my lips. All I can say is Cliff what was is no more and never will be again.

Rock on
09.09.2012 - 02:21
Angry Chair

Metallica need to try and make stuff like they used to if they can't then they should stop and retire.

As for this album, Its the worst album I have ever heard and that's including all genres.

I would rather to silence.
----
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
06.10.2012 - 19:11
LordHypnos
Account deleted
-10 for this album.
04.11.2012 - 19:42
megadeath13
Account deleted
What a shame. I thought they are on a good way to release quality thrash albums again, but man i was wrong. They make an even more irritating effort than St. Anger and this says a lot!!!!!
28.12.2012 - 00:20
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw

What the FUCK is this???

Abusing the smilies much?

Anyway, I thought that these bits of reviews I found on wikipedia were hilarious, and that I should share:

Pitchfork Media critic Stuart Berma assigned the album a rare 1.0 rating, writing "for all the hilarity that ought to ensue here, Lulu is a frustratingly noble failure. Audacious to the extreme, but exhaustingly tedious as a result, its few interesting ideas are stretched out beyond the point of utility and pounded into submission." Essayist and pop culture writer Chuck Klosterman, in his review of the album for the website Grantland, wrote, "If the Red Hot Chili Peppers acoustically covered the 12 worst Primus songs for Starbucks, it would still be (slightly) better than this." Reviewer Julian Marszalek of The Quietus gave the album a very poor review. He commented that "the effect is that of Lou Reed ranting over some Metallica demos that were never intended for human consumption." Marszalek summarized the review by suggesting that time spent listening to Lulu could have been better spent watching grass grow, "or perhaps wanking into a sock." Furthermore, longtime reviewer Don Kaye, who had previously defended Metallica's much-maligned 2003 album St. Anger, wrote on Blabbermouth.net that "Lulu is a catastrophic failure on almost every level, a project that could quite possibly do irreparable harm to Metallica's career."

----
03.03.2013 - 12:23
Egigantea

20.03.2013 - 18:47
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Incredible album, even after a dozen plays...this is among my favourite albums! \m/
21.03.2013 - 00:17
Rating: 2
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by LeKiwi on 20.03.2013 at 18:47

Incredible album, even after a dozen plays...this is among my favourite albums! \m/

Okay then...
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
21.03.2013 - 01:02
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Boxcar Willy on 21.03.2013 at 00:17

Written by LeKiwi on 20.03.2013 at 18:47

Okay then...

Was being cynical
27.06.2013 - 07:04
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Wow a 2.2??? that is the worst Ive ever seen......
----
pewpew.. gotcha
11.07.2013 - 16:44
Alpha

This is not Metallica, Right?
29.09.2013 - 01:36
master 666
King of Arizona
29.09.2013 - 01:38
master 666
King of Arizona
Ha ha ha fuck metalica