Style: Atmospheric black metal
Release date: February 2011

01. Torn Beyond Reason
02. Darker Days
03. An Unbroken Moment
04. The Inevitable End
05. November
06. Somehow...

The depressive duo of Tim "Sorrow" Yatras and the man known only as "D" are back with yet another chilling display of a statuesque journey through melancholia, venturing only so far from the true path of solitude with Woods Of Desolation in order to entice the audience enough to gain a mutual understanding of nature's purest form of torment.

Woods of desolation. A barren wasteland. Emptiness. A deserted territory. These images are captured perfectly not only by the spellbinding cover art, but by the mournful atmosphere that nicks a vein and leaves you with a band-aid and a cup of cold water to stop the bleeding. It tears at your cheek with a mighty force, ripping you from the comfort of your abyss, scrutinizes you, evaluates your worth, inspects you for flaws, scoffs at your lack of purpose, considers removing you from your shelter permanently...only to toss you back in again.

It's a catch-and-release expression of pity and joy, a game of cat and mouse interrupted by one of Tolkien's ring-wraiths shrieking before the stupefied animals, as diluted drums blast away in the undertow. Acoustic guitars make their presence felt when necessary, calming the chaos and giving reason to the anarchy, while the profound (and unfortunately all too rare) cello use sends ripples through your wrists as the tide begins to rise.

The austerity of such a release has been watered down slightly, perhaps due to the outside influence of a certain stone-colored water involving our beloved duo - nevertheless, the trees are imposing as ever, and there's nobody else around to hear them fall.

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/woodsofdesolation

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written on 19.06.2011 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 68   Visited by: 555 users
19.06.2011 - 01:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
If I was totally not into this kind of metal and/or if I didn't know the band already... I wouldn't have any idea what the fuck you were talking about. I don't know if that's bad or good... I like your words but didn't really read a description of the music at all.

The music is wonderful though, dreamy but not in a cheesy way at all. The vocals are also penetrating as hell, such raw emotions...

I didn't catch the chello at all... have to listen to it again then
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.06.2011 - 01:51
Rating: 9
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.06.2011 at 01:45

If I was totally not into this kind of metal and/or if I didn't know the band already... I wouldn't have any idea what the fuck you were talking about.

I thought it was relatively obvious, especially referencing Austere and Grey Waters, as WoD is essentially a mixture of the two.

As for the cello, listen to "An Unbroken Moment". There's a bit of a quiet break before the cello carries on around the 3:30 mark, which leads back into the black metal sound about a minute or so later, after which it blends in with the guitars. Reminds me of when Apocalyptica teamed up with Amon Amarth for Twilight...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.06.2011 - 01:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2011 at 01:51

If I was totally not into this kind of metal and/or if I didn't know the band already... I wouldn't have any idea what the fuck you were talking about.

I thought it was relatively obvious, especially referencing Austere and Grey Waters, as WoD is essentially a mixture of the two.

That's the point I was trying to make, if I didn't knew anything about Austere or Grey Waters... This review would serve me only to check out those bands and THEN checking out this one and go all "Aaaaaaaaaaaaah that's what he meant".
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.06.2011 - 14:10
Rating: 10
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Dude, this is one of the best written reviews of this year. Well done, and great job of giving back the atmosphere of such a unique and grand album.
19.06.2011 - 14:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Carl Berg on 19.06.2011 at 14:10

Dude, this is one of the best written reviews of this year. Well done, and great job of giving back the atmosphere of such a unique and grand album.

Thanks!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.06.2011 - 17:07
Mindheist
No Longer Human

If I was totally not into this kind of metal and/or if I didn't know the band already... I wouldn't have any idea what the fuck you were talking about. I don't know if that's bad or good... I like your words but didn't really read a description of the music at all.

The music is wonderful though, dreamy but not in a cheesy way at all. The vocals are also penetrating as hell, such raw emotions...

I disagree. There's no better weapon in a reviewer's arsenal than exposing the "philosophical" side of the album rather than the music itself. . But I suppose it's all a matter of taste. I, for one, prefer to see a truckload of metaphorical and ornate expressions instead of a full description of the instruments playing.

Nice review Troy. Let it not be your last "figurative" one .
19.06.2011 - 17:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Mindheist on 19.06.2011 at 17:07

I disagree. There's no better weapon in a reviewer's arsenal than exposing the "philosophical" side of the album rather than the music itself. . But I suppose it's all a matter of taste. I, for one, prefer to see a truckload of metaphorical and ornate expressions instead of a full description of the instruments playing.

I think you took my comment up to the extreme, I love to use metaphores to express the music (check my reviews for Eyehategod or Funeral Mist). I'm not asking for a full description (that would be kind of a spoiler), but just a small description between the metaphores to at least say "hey guys, this is black metal, but it's special because.... and yeah, I didn't get the answer so I was "because.........why?"

All the extremes are bad, a variation fo both languages is for me the best review.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.06.2011 - 17:15
VloRD

A 9.5 from Troy??
Must check this out.
----
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

Thanks for the kind words. This is part 2/3 in terms of figurative reviews, at least as far as I know. The trilogy will be complete within the next week when I publish my review of Moon's full-length debut.

After that who knows...I'm just tinkering with my style at the moment to make reviewing seem like less of a job and more like a hobby again.
----
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.06.2011 at 17:13

I think you took my comment up to the extreme, I love to use metaphores to express the music (check my reviews for Eyehategod or Funeral Mist). I'm not asking for a full description (that would be kind of a spoiler), but just a small description between the metaphores to at least say "hey guys, this is black metal, but it's special because.... and yeah, I didn't get the answer so I was "because.........why?"

All the extremes are bad, a variation fo both languages is for me the best review.

I suppose you're right .
19.06.2011 - 17:17
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2011 at 17:15

Thanks for the kind words. This is part 2/3 in terms of figurative reviews, at least as far as I know. The trilogy will be complete within the next week when I publish my review of Moon's full-length debut.

After that who knows...I'm just tinkering with my style at the moment to make reviewing seem like less of a job and more like a hobby again.

Haha. Well, I'm really looking forward to reading it .
19.06.2011 - 17:19
Timmeh
Dudeman
Ah, I was planning on reviewing this album but you beat me to it . Nice review though!
19.06.2011 - 17:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.06.2011 at 17:13

but just a small description between the metaphores to at least say "hey guys, this is black metal, but it's special because.... and yeah, I didn't get the answer so I was "because.........why?"

In my defense, listing the genre in the album information, mentioning similar bands, and also mentioning the music (shrieks, blastbeats, acoustic sections, brief moment of orgasmic cello) should be enough for people to at least have a clue about the genre.

As for why it's so special, it's mostly because of the "philosophy" of the band/album, so to speak, hence the more "philosophical" review.
----
19.06.2011 - 17:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by VloRD on 19.06.2011 at 17:15

A 9.5 from Troy??
Must check this out.

What, is our community starting to value my opinion or something?

Written by Timmeh on 19.06.2011 at 17:19

Ah, I was planning on reviewing this album but you beat me to it . Nice review though!

If you still want to review it I wouldn't shy away just because I did it first. It's always nice to compare reviews of the same album with another user, whether the opinions are the same or not.
----
19.06.2011 - 17:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2011 at 17:19

As for why it's so special, it's mostly because of the "philosophy" of the band/album, so to speak, hence the more "philosophical" review.

Hmmm yeah I guess that's it... I barely give a fuck about philosophies unless it seems like something trully appealing to me or obvious to the who listens to i. Didn't sense any kind of philosophy here though... Just a dreamy yet eerie landscape not saying that's not good though, it's pretty damn good in this case.

Well, hopefully you didn't take my comments as being harsh..... I actually liked part one!, this one not so much

Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2011 at 17:22

If you still want to review it I wouldn't shy away just because I did it first. It's always nice to compare reviews of the same album with another user, whether the opinions are the same or not.

Yeah I mean... it's not like this will get tons of reviews anyways like Wintersun or one from Moonspell.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.06.2011 - 17:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.06.2011 at 17:25

Well, hopefully you didn't take my comments as being harsh..... I actually liked part one!, this one not so much

it's not like this will get tons of reviews anyways like Wintersun or one from Moonspell.

I always welcome criticism, the only thing I don't like is people who think reviews suck but don't elaborate on that "thought". I can see where you're coming from and potentially improve if you explain why it sucks. (Not saying this to you by the way, just in general.)

And really? Mentioning Wintersun on a Woods of Desolation thread?
----
19.06.2011 - 17:35
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2011 at 17:22

Written by Timmeh on 19.06.2011 at 17:19

I suppose you're right there, I might still yet .
19.06.2011 - 17:37
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2011 at 17:29

And really? Mentioning Wintersun on a Woods of Desolation thread?

Fuck up the review thread: Mission fucking accomplished.

Reading this review again (while blasting the music as well), I can say it has grown on me (the review I mean ). I see some of your points. I never said it sucked though since it's still far far far away from the average metal archive essay that is supposed to be a review. I guess I had to listen to the album and the artists related to this album a bit more before reading because now I feel kind of like "aaaaaaaaah, that's what he's talking about".

I don't feel like I can give you any specific criticism since 1) it's not a bad review, 2) I have 3 reviews 3) It feels hard to explain this music anyway.

It's so weird how this music is so uplifting. I really feel a sense of joy after the cello on "An Unbroken Moment" and the scream make everything so... I dunno, like pure fucking extasis. Wanna have sex on the woods now
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.06.2011 - 17:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.06.2011 at 17:37

It's so weird how this music is so uplifting.

I know right? At first I heard it and I was in a pretty shitty mood and after the album ran its course I just thought...wow, I feel...better.

After a few more listens I realized that it's one of those "beauty in death" type of albums, where something tragic is actually something positively inspirational.
----
19.06.2011 - 17:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2011 at 17:44

Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.06.2011 at 17:37

It's so weird how this music is so uplifting.

I know right? At first I heard it and I was in a pretty shitty mood and after the album ran its course I just thought...wow, I feel...better.

After a few more listens I realized that it's one of those "beauty in death" type of albums, where something tragic is actually something positively inspirational.

So.... you're saying this album is the cause to why I felt like watching tons of Happy Tree Friends videos right after listening to this album? Because that's what I'm doing now.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.06.2011 - 17:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.06.2011 at 17:53

So.... you're saying this album is the cause to why I felt like watching tons of Happy Tree Friends videos right after listening to this album? Because that's what I'm doing now.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Woods of Desolation makes you want to watch cartoon violence.
----
19.06.2011 - 21:40
Rating: 10
Geminus 7

Excellent review. This album is one of the years best.
19.06.2011 - 21:44
Windrider
Raureif
I was WOW first when I saw the rating and WOW again when I saw it was from Troy... Now that actually has to be quite good, gotta check it out... A very good and expressive review!
19.06.2011 - 23:35
ravendeath

Really good album! One of the best in 2011 till now. Amazing atmosphere...
20.06.2011 - 00:25
Merchant of Doom

The review says what the genre is... atmospheric black metal... and the review builds on that. I hope the reviewer doesn't have to include a lot of background information to explain every single facet of the music. Just click on the myspace link and find out. Surely it's not that difficult? BTW, great ABM album.
20.06.2011 - 00:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Merchant of Doom on 20.06.2011 at 00:25

The review says what the genre is... atmospheric black metal... and the review builds on that. I hope the reviewer doesn't have to include a lot of background information to explain every single facet of the music. Just click on the myspace link and find out. Surely it's not that difficult? BTW, great ABM album.

God how some people misinterpreted my comment is crazy... Not like I wanted a full spoiler or anything. I won't comment on the matter any further though as Troy understood my point in the end since I wasn't relly bashing the review specially sicne I said I actually liked his previous review which had a similar still (deafheaven)
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.06.2011 - 04:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Windrider on 19.06.2011 at 21:44

I was WOW first when I saw the rating and WOW again when I saw it was from Troy... Now that actually has to be quite good, gotta check it out... A very good and expressive review!

I guess I've built a bit of a reputation as a harsh rater.

The last two albums I've rated were personal reviews, not "jobs". So they're more in line with the guest review stereotype: high ratings due to reviewing a personal favorite.

Once I get into more of the typical Moribund stuff I'm sure you'll see the average 5 - 7 thrown around.
----
20.06.2011 - 07:03
Void Eater
Account deleted
Really, this read just like your joke review of Deathday 666. A bunch of metaphors, some cliche description words, and no description of the actual music.

As far as the album goes, a step up from the previous snoozefest, but still not spectacular. Some people need to realize that raw guitar tone+long repetitive songs+'tortured' black metal shrieks =/= atmosphere. And the addition of keys does not make automatically turn an album atmospheric.
20.06.2011 - 11:09
Merchant of Doom

Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.06.2011 at 00:57

Written by Merchant of Doom on 20.06.2011 at 00:25

God how some people misinterpreted my comment is crazy... Not like I wanted a full spoiler or anything. I won't comment on the matter any further though as Troy understood my point in the end since I wasn't relly bashing the review specially sicne I said I actually liked his previous review which had a similar still (deafheaven)

couldn't be bother to read the whole fucking thread... I just read your first comment. I can see you explained yourself profusely after that. Sorry for being lazy...
20.06.2011 - 11:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Merchant of Doom on 20.06.2011 at 11:09

couldn't be bother to read the whole fucking thread... I just read your first comment. I can see you explained yourself profusely after that. Sorry for being lazy...

Meh, not like I haven't done the ame, no harm done.
----
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 12160 | This month: 50