03. Gate Creeper
04. Keg Stand And Deliver
05. The Earth's Crust
06. Quest For The Cube
07. Brother Fear
08. Skid Marks The Spot
09. Crushing Defeat
10. Ghost Jam

So, remember a few years ago when Barn Burner released their debut album Bangers? Of course you don't, because aside from a bit of publicity across North America, a select few picking up on it, it was a release that went relatively unnoticed. Sure, it was a pretty good album, and yes, it was a shame it didn't hit the peaks it could have, but no, it's not one of those "crime against humanity" type misses. Why? Well, as thoroughly catchy as it was, Bangers suffered from some bizarre production that resulted in them sounding a lot thinner & quieter than they actually are, as if whoever was behind the mixing boards thought they were a pop-punk band or something.

Luckily, now that the trifling production bullshit has been fixed, Barn Burner are sounding like the full-force stoner metal band they should be, and it sounds great. It just sounds like Barn Burner - uber catchy riffing being the foundation of their music, played with a stripped-down panache akin some good ol' fashion punk rock. There's very little else to say, it's so straight forward it takes no more than a sentence or two to sum their sound up accurately.

The problem? Well, here's the thing, people first discovering Barn Burner with Bangers II will probably love it, as will the already existent fans to a lesser degree, but it's essentially a do-over of their last album, just played louder. Aside from getting the production & mastering values right this time around, Barn Burner sounds like they haven't aged a day. Yes, it's better than Bangers, but not for very many reasons. Which leads to the question; is Barn Burner a one-trick pony, or are they going to throw us a curve ball in the future? I guess that's a question for another day. For the time being, Bangers II is an immensely enjoyable stoner metal listen when taken at face value.

Written on 18.06.2011 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Guest review by
Boxcar Willy
Rating:
Barn Burner is a stoner metal/rock band that hails from Montréal. They have released two killer albums, both entitled Bangers (to a certain extent). The title is suitable, as this album hammers out banger after banger.

Imagine, you're skateboarding in the ghetto of a large town; you reach the park and get stoned with your buddies in one of their Volkswagen vans. You then go on a crazy adventure across the country, involving close calls with the police and extra-terrestrial riffing aliens, but then waking up only to find out you're still just stoned in the skatepark.

Read more ››
published 05.02.2012 | Comments (0)

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 113 users
19.06.2011 - 15:44
hailthecrisis

I haven't given this a spin yet, but I absolutely loved Bangers, so I can only assume I will dig this too. And even if this is just a more refined version of Bangers (it is called Bangers 2 after all...) I think it's a little early to label them "one trick ponies." They are still a young band, and will hopefully be around long enough to let some other influences into their music. Although I don't see myself being disappointed if they just keep making pure fun stoner metal.
20.06.2011 - 03:00
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by hailthecrisis on 19.06.2011 at 15:44

I haven't given this a spin yet, but I absolutely loved Bangers, so I can only assume I will dig this too. And even if this is just a more refined version of Bangers (it is called Bangers 2 after all...) I think it's a little early to label them "one trick ponies." They are still a young band, and will hopefully be around long enough to let some other influences into their music. Although I don't see myself being disappointed if they just keep making pure fun stoner metal.

You'll notice I never actually called them one-trick ponies.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
21.06.2011 - 23:32
hailthecrisis

No, but you asked the question "is Barn Burner a one-trick pony, or are they going to throw us a curve ball in the future?" And I answered.
21.12.2011 - 04:55
Rating: 9
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Oh lordy lordy what a jackpot i have discovered!
amazing!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 6081 | This month: 8