Metal Storm logo
Is current metal "formula" music?

30.06.2011 - 17:38
Conservationist

From Kam Lee (Death/Massacre) vocalist:

Quote:

Founding death metal musician Kam Lee (Death, Massacre, Bone Gnawer) blasted those who rely on formula to sell records, instead of making quality music.

Quote:

It's from "formula" in metal music that has either been the downfall or the up rise in the genre and among many of the bands. When bands set a distinct genre - and a set "formula" is established, once those bands begin the mix or change that formula, is when they take a risk of failing.

When a band decides to forsake the formula that works, and forsakes integrity in exchange to gain "a piece of bread" (make $money) - I personally do not feel my loyalty is any longer of importance to the band. They have already decided that my personal opinion is no longer valid, and that other fans too that may share the same or similair opinions are also no longer important as well.

He pointed the finger of metal's current decline at these formulaic metal makers, and in case someone did not quite understand, concluded his statement with "DEATH-CORE is NOT DEATH METAL!"

It's worth reading the whole thing:

* Kam Lee blasts current metal for following formula, not spirit

He may have a point.
30.06.2011 - 18:28
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
He does have a point. I have been saying this for years though. Metal was never something to make a living off of. The scene is big, but not big enough to support yourself. (unless your a big name band but even then those guys all hold side jobs) Metal is around for the love not for the money. Just like it is in every single genre of music, you can tell who is making it for the money. In the end its easier to ignore it than it is to bitch about it. Stop the bitching.