Metal Storm logo
Help me get into Cannibal Corpse

Original post

Posted by , 04.07.2011 - 19:29
I really found a recent liking for death metal. And as you reckon, I instantly knew that I had to hear Cannibal Corpse. My friend already told me about them, and he said they were the best band in the world. I was really anticipated, but when I checked them out, I thought they were EXTREMELY overrated. I couldn't stand any song except Hammer Smashed Face, which I can play on guitar. Too generic for me. The irony here is that I really like old school death metal. I was writing this when I was listening to Corpsegrinder's former band, Monstrosity, and REALLY enjoying it. So could you tell me what to do about this? Maybe I'll be able to get CC someday.
24.07.2011 - 13:17
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Don't waste your money on a bunch of their stuff. If you have to buy an album ... Tomb of the Mutilated. See them live though. Great live show.
26.07.2011 - 00:04
Bolverk

The bleeding has a few really nice songs... and as the other comment, go to watch them live
26.07.2011 - 01:18
JD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 24.07.2011 at 13:17

See them live though. Great live show.

Probably this is the best advice, I've watched all their dvds, their performance on stage is fuckin killer.
26.05.2012 - 12:08
Infernal Eternal

Cannibal Corpse are better live than in studio.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
03.10.2012 - 08:18
Metalholic

You should very closely listen to Eaten Back To Life. When I first heard Hammer and considered them a joke until I had the same urge you did and Listened to Eaten just to see where it all started, then I heard Mangled. The chorus for this song totally kicked my ass and then I really started enjoying every thing I heard.
03.10.2012 - 12:52
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Their best records: "The Bleeding" "Tomb of the Mutilated" and "Bloodthirst". That's it. That's where I got attracted towards CC and I guess after that they hadn't come up with something called "masterpiece". Their newer stuffs is like pretty good but not an awesome shit. I still like old CC.
09.10.2012 - 14:51
Morax

If ya wanna get into Cannibal Corpse I would recommand you listen albums with Chris Barnes on vocals.. Eaten Back To Life,Tomb of Mutilated,The Bleeding.. I like George but still when it comes to Cannibal Corpse I prefer Barnes on vocals..
09.10.2012 - 20:15
Lit.
Account deleted
Torture replaced The Bleeding in the only CC album worth listening to for me. And honestly live they are no different than they are in studio: A total cataclysmic bore.
Now, I gotta trademark that phrase because they'll likely try to make a song out of it.
05.11.2012 - 01:13
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Listen to Cannabis Corpse, they are much better than Cannibal Corpse.
12.11.2012 - 20:49
PrinceLink

Barnes era or gtfo

In all seriousness though, yeah, I'm not too fond of the Corpse. Ever since Fisher came in to the band, they became generic, though a few good FIsher-Era CC songs do exist. You just have to look real hard.
21.06.2013 - 11:48
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by PrinceLink on 12.11.2012 at 20:49

Barnes era or gtfo

In all seriousness though, yeah, I'm not too fond of the Corpse. Ever since Fisher came in to the band, they became generic, though a few good FIsher-Era CC songs do exist. You just have to look real hard.

Even the Barnes-era stuff is just really bland. There's plenty of other death metal that came out around the same time that was far superior the stuff that Cannibal Corpse did. The only thing that Cannibal Corpse had going for them was their shock factor--the fact that their imagery and lyrics were so over-the-top gory that not many had seen anything like it.
----
21.06.2013 - 23:57
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Jaeryd on 21.06.2013 at 11:48

Even the Barnes-era stuff is just really bland. There's plenty of other death metal that came out around the same time that was far superior the stuff that Cannibal Corpse did. The only thing that Cannibal Corpse had going for them was their shock factor--the fact that their imagery and lyrics were so over-the-top gory that not many had seen anything like it.

I felt the same way for the longest time, but for some reason "Evisceration Plague" (the song) grabbed me (when I decided to check it out on a whim) and I fell in love with the band briefly after that and decided to listen to all their albums. I thought they were pretty bad ass at that time, but have since returned to agreeing that they are pretty generic, but I do still enjoy listening to them from time to time. I definitely want to see them live someday.

The real die-hard fans will fight tooth and nail that the band are geniuses, but it's still plainly obvious to see that the majority of their fame stems from the fact that they are one of the most gore-addled bands out there. And there are actually lots of brutal, slam and gore-grind bands out there who make Cannibal Corpse look like amateurs, but Cannibal Corpse's music is so much more palatable and commercialized (by death metal standards) in comparison to the likes of Cephalotripsy, Putrid Pile, Insidious Decrepancy, etc. that people can "get into" them far easier than the aforementioned bands.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

22.06.2013 - 09:03
Misfit74

Go see them live.

/FTW
22.06.2013 - 11:03
Warman
Erotic Stains
Never really seen the point of these questions. Why do you need to like Cannibal Corpse? I've never been much of a fan of Blind Guardian. And that's it. I'm not going to ask people to help me to like them.
----
22.06.2013 - 13:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 22.06.2013 at 11:03

Never really seen the point of these questions. Why do you need to like Cannibal Corpse? I've never been much of a fan of Blind Guardian. And that's it. I'm not going to ask people to help me to like them.

Good point , but seems guy know CC is like ''icon'' in DM and he wanst be cool dude and listen it because maybe his idiol in school likes band
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.06.2013 - 22:13
Sunioj

When I was younger I tried to get into them, but I think it mainly because was weird if you considered yourself a DM fan and didn't care for CC. They are so irrelevant to me these days though, I really can't recommend anything if someone asked me. Actually I feel this way about a lot of early extreme metal bands.

And yes, Cannabis Corpse is the shit.
12.07.2013 - 11:56
Woutjinho
Account deleted
I don't think it's a really weird question. The band is very well known. Most of the people seem to like them, but if you listen to the wrong albums, you end up disliking them.
To me, the Chris Barnes era of Cannibal Corpse is the best. Never really cared for George Fisher. He's too monotous.
26.07.2013 - 12:03
Infernal Eternal

Buy LIve Cannibalism. It's a live album that worths its money.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter