06. I Am
07. Used
08. The One
09. Burn After Reading
10. Last Goodbye

Guest review by
RhaegarTargaryen
Rating:
So after a few years of waiting, the Norwegian masters of progressive metal finally decided that we are worthy of another album. At least 2012 seems to finally bring an end to some long years of waiting for some albums that were eagerly expected. Unlike their previous two releases, the third album by Circus Maximus is labeled Nine for some mysterious reason unknown to me.

Read more ››
published 30.12.2012 | Comments (4)

Found in 26 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 58   Visited by: 652 users
09.07.2011 - 04:20
TEA_DEMON

I was just wondering the other day when they'd release a new album and then i saw this. excellent.
17.12.2011 - 13:49
diamondblack

I'm just hoping it'll be soon. Long delay on this album
17.12.2011 - 16:50
Rating: 8
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Why do bands wait sooo long in between releases? All it does is make the expectations impossible to meet.
----
rekt
17.12.2011 - 18:34
Rating: 7
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by tea[m]ster on 17.12.2011 at 16:50

Why do bands wait sooo long in between releases? All it does is make the expectations impossible to meet.
I agree, because I think our musical taste evolve quicker than the band to release new material (instead of, say an album every two years)
----
loves 小巫
27.12.2011 - 07:43
Quinaitor

This will not come on 2011... geez... another year for my fav band ='(
----
Metal is flowing through my veins...
20.02.2012 - 01:41
diamondblack

Will it ever come out?
20.03.2012 - 21:32
Rating: 6
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Aghhhh, its been so long
20.03.2012 - 23:10
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
sniff..sniff..smell that? Duke Nukem Forever aroma...uhoh
----
rekt
25.04.2012 - 04:05
diamondblack

Yeahhhh, finally... Hopefully no more delays.
I'm sure it will be an amazing album....can't wait
23.05.2012 - 11:51
DrM
DreaMutilated
The full song "Reach Within" has been released:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X-TMRTB29w
01.06.2012 - 16:51
Rating: 9
thehondo

This is when Circus Maximus steps to the forefront as Progressive Metal elite. This release has everything, sounds like they've grown up quite a bit.
----
No time like the present
03.06.2012 - 01:57
Rating: 10
Wes

Okay, my first thoughts were that this album is trash.. but opinion changed quickly

There seem to be obvious late-Opeth influences in this album in songs like "Architect". I'm afraid like my own first impressions this album is going to get a lot of criticism.

Some songs turned me off immediately due to the vocal melodies in beginning verses.
These songs are "Namaste","Game of Life", and "The One". Yet the choruses completely make up for this. Game of Life probably has my favorite chorus on the album.

Bottom line for me: If you can get over the first verses in these 3 songs, the album is very enjoyable if not amazing. And who knows, some of you might enjoy these verses.
03.06.2012 - 02:04
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I listened to it for the first time, this morning; I enjoyed it a lot, not as good as their amazing debut, but on par with Isolate if you ask me. I'll definitely give it more listens these coming days.
04.06.2012 - 00:04
Hughes

Written by Wes on 03.06.2012 at 01:57

Okay, my first thoughts were that this album is trash.. but opinion changed quickly

There seem to be obvious late-Opeth influences in this album in songs like "Architect". I'm afraid like my own first impressions this album is going to get a lot of criticism.

Some songs turned me off immediately due to the vocal melodies in beginning verses.
These songs are "Namaste","Game of Life", and "The One". Yet the choruses completely make up for this. Game of Life probably has my favorite chorus on the album.

Bottom line for me: If you can get over the first verses in these 3 songs, the album is very enjoyable if not amazing. And who knows, some of you might enjoy these verses.

I agree that it needs more than one listens cause is hard to get it with the first hearing , bottom line i think its a great album and i think they have matured even more with this album.
04.06.2012 - 18:22
Grey Wind

I am so pumped up about this release, the preview video was great(though cheesy as hell )
----
wimps and posers leave the hall lol
05.06.2012 - 20:22
Rating: 9
Starchild

Damn, can't stop listening this album. Awesome stuff!
06.06.2012 - 19:48
Hollberr

Too much cheese from a band that's able to do so much more.

The album starts and ends very strong, but the middle is completely horrible.
07.06.2012 - 10:56
DrM
DreaMutilated
Written by Hollberr on 06.06.2012 at 19:48

Too much cheese from a band that's able to do so much more.

The album starts and ends very strong, but the middle is completely horrible.

Few listens gone by and I have to agree with your point, though I should say I've expected much worse. I was wrong to judge them from the very generic "Reach Within". "It's time to face your fears"... geez.

On comparing it to previous albums: Unlike the trending consensus here I actually preferred Isolate over The First Chapter, mainly because it has more character whereas their first release was a more safe effort. Nine is following Isolate's themes as the band continue to develop and evolve their own sound and character, which I really like.

My only criticism would be that they don't push the envelope quite as much as I wanted, but that's just a hardcore progger's point of view. It's a matter of fact that every band is in it to make a living, and a lesser known one that a lot of the prog bands I know, obviously the more obscure ones, need to work secondary jobs to support their income.

Going with a more accessible content, though may turn some guys, would probably help generate more sells and might help secure more live gigs, which in financial terms is where the real money is.

This is shaping up to be a 8 or a 9 from me, not quite sure yet.
10.06.2012 - 00:51
Fredd
Account deleted
Nine gets an eight from me.
10.06.2012 - 07:53
Stabby
Account deleted
Prog masterpiece or pleasant pop? A fusion! This is a bit of a schizophrenic album. They are sounding a lot like Dream Theater in many parts. This is easily their least original album.

Buuuut these are great songs that I like, and the musicianship is insane, Love me some Circus Maximus in any format (unless they incorporate dubstep).

Had the potential to be a 10, though.
13.06.2012 - 05:59
Rating: 10
gopherhawk2@gmail.co

First Circus Maximus album I bought. Goddamn.....
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
15.06.2012 - 06:52
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I just ordered it, and i am looking forward to seeing if this album is going to make any impact on my personal Top Ten List (Ne Obliviscaris is Number One on my list at the moment).

Wow, this album is simply awesome. It has so far made it to number 4 on my personal Top ten list of the year! Great prog metal, reminds me of Symphony X, Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Fates Warning, and Seventh Wonder all rolled into one!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
17.06.2012 - 07:39
Fat & Sassy!

I like it, but this is a pretty frustrating album to listen to.

Queensryche to Coldplay to Dream Theater to The Backstreet Boys

That's what this album is. ALL THESE THINGS.
17.06.2012 - 23:43
Milena
gloom cookie
Judging by your comments, I'll be startled by this.
----
7.0 means the album is good
19.06.2012 - 19:19
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 17.06.2012 at 07:39

I like it, but this is a pretty frustrating album to listen to.

Queensryche to Coldplay to Dream Theater to The Backstreet Boys

That's what this album is. ALL THESE THINGS.

Ha! Exactly how I feel. Ah Coldplay, I was trying to think of the mainstream pop band that they sounded like, I wanted to say Muse, but Coldplay is a better fit sometimes. This is an exhausting album to listen to. I like it, but listening to it a third time I'm leaning more towards 7/10.
20.06.2012 - 06:39
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Milena on 17.06.2012 at 23:43

It's a pretty adventurous album. I have very mixed feelings about it though. I applaud them for the ambition and forward-thinking attitude (which I think is essential for any prog band who wants to stay relevant for more than an release or two), but I think I was just expecting something more along the lines of Circus Maximus's previous album. One thing that I think is certainly not great about this album is the vocals. Where's the epic vocal hooks? Why does the singer sound bored? Why are the lyrics 5-time cheesier than before?

Why you do dis?

Why. ;_;
20.06.2012 - 08:07
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 20.06.2012 at 06:39

Where's the epic vocal hooks?
this!
Though I would imagine a lot to be pleased with the less "power" direction the band has taken
----
loves 小巫
20.06.2012 - 10:05
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Ag Fox on 20.06.2012 at 08:07

... I would imagine a lot to be pleased with the less "power" direction the band has taken

Yeah, I imagine they are eating up the Backstreet Boys-esque 2nd verse of Reach Within. xD
20.06.2012 - 21:55
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 20.06.2012 at 06:39

Written by Milena on 17.06.2012 at 23:43

It's a pretty adventurous album. I have very mixed feelings about it though. I applaud them for the ambition and forward-thinking attitude (which I think is essential for any prog band who wants to stay relevant for more than an release or two), but I think I was just expecting something more along the lines of Circus Maximus's previous album. One thing that I think is certainly not great about this album is the vocals. Where's the epic vocal hooks? Why does the singer sound bored? Why are the lyrics 5-time cheesier than before?

Why you do dis?

Why. ;_;

I suspect that they literally believe that sucking wins you more fans in the mainstream. "No no no we can't make these lyrics good, and we sure as hell can't be interesting and explosive here, that kind of awesomeness just scares people away"

Or at least that's what it sounds like sometimes. A handful of great songs redeems the album.

Listening to this and then listening to Isolate yesterday made me change my vote to a 7. The contrast is just too stark. Compared to what they have done before it's a letdown. But compared to other bands playing pop songs it's quite good. I actually like I Am despite it's ultra Coldplayiness. And a few of the other pop songs. But it's just lower quality than you could expect from them. Many of the chances that they had to make it incredible were squandered.
20.06.2012 - 23:27
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Guest on 20.06.2012 at 21:55

I suspect that they literally believe that sucking wins you more fans in the mainstream. "No no no we can't make these lyrics good, and we sure as hell can't be interesting and explosive here, that kind of awesomeness just scares people away"

Or at least that's what it sounds like sometimes. A handful of great songs redeems the album.

Listening to this and then listening to Isolate yesterday made me change my vote to a 7. The contrast is just too stark. Compared to what they have done before it's a letdown. But compared to other bands playing pop songs it's quite good. I actually like I Am despite it's ultra Coldplayiness. And a few of the other pop songs. But it's just lower quality than you could expect from them. Many of the chances that they had to make it incredible were squandered.

Judging by their YouTube videos about the album... I'm not sure if targeting a broader audience by making the album more "accessible" was their intention. To me, it seems like the drummer is the only guy who really likes playing the heavier stuff.

...... sound familiar to another prog band we all know and (probably used to) love? XD

Hits total: 19740 | This month: 28