Metal Storm logo
Do you think thrash is the most IMPORTANT metal genre?

Original post

Posted by , 10.07.2011 - 02:01
I think thrash is the most important metal genre because:
1. It took metal to the extreme. 80s thrash bands took heavy metal and upped the ante, so we can say thrash is a bridge between Melodic and Extreme metal.
2. It is the base of Death and Black metal, two of the most important genres. Imagine we have Death or Black metal but there's no thrash. Impossible.
3. Thrashy riffs are used in almost every metal genres. I can thrashy riffs even in Ensiferum!
4. Thrash has some of the best metal bands in the world. The 6 most popular bands on MS have 3 thrash bands in them.
So...Do you agree?

Poll

Do you think thrash is the most important metal genre?

NO
Yes

Total votes: 194
27.10.2011 - 23:14
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.10.2011 at 22:32

Ya there doesn't really need to be an entire thread for a question like this.

Let's make a thread about making threads that discuss other threads.
27.10.2011 - 23:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Daniell on 27.10.2011 at 23:14
Let's make a thread about making threads that discuss other threads.

Yo dawg, I heard you like...

Nah, we can just bitch about it everywhere and fill the forums with our tears.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.10.2011 - 23:21
Daniell
_爱情_
Nice boobs by the way. Can I fondle them just a bit?

Back on topic, the only sensible answer is NO. How a genre that is a result of another genre can be the most important? It can't, simple as that.
27.10.2011 - 23:23
king_matt

No, heavy metal is the most important metal genre. All the other subgenres branched off from heavy metal.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
28.10.2011 - 00:11
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.10.2011 at 22:32
Ya there doesn't really need to be an entire thread for a question like this. The answer is pretty straightforward... Anyone who listens to any type of metal has only the traditional brand of heavy metal to thank for it.

I wouldn't say traditional metal is the only brand that has to be thanked, but it is the most important brand of metal. As that was the root from where all the other brands grew from. The vast majority of all metal bands regardless of sub-genre, have been influenced by traditional metal, even if it's indirectly.
28.10.2011 - 02:11
ToMegaTherion

While i can agree that there are genres that have played a greater role than others, they are all equally important for different reasons. Thrash is very influential and has seen a number of great bands produce some great albums, but so has most other genres.
28.10.2011 - 13:06
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Guest on 10.07.2011 at 02:01

2. It is the base of Death and Black metal, two of the most important genres. Imagine we have Death or Black metal but there's no thrash. Impossible.

Didn't Black metal start at around the same time as Thrash? (see Venom's Black Metal album)
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
28.10.2011 - 21:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by M C Vice on 28.10.2011 at 13:06
Didn't Black metal start at around the same time as Thrash? (see Venom's Black Metal album)

No. That's only if you regard Venom as a black metal band. Stylistically Venom = thrash, image-wise and lyric-wise, sure they inspired black metal. I mean they pretty much named the genre inadvertently.

But then there are also people who regard Mercyful Fate as black metal for the same reasons.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.10.2011 - 03:33
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.10.2011 at 21:55

Written by M C Vice on 28.10.2011 at 13:06

No. That's only if you regard Venom as a black metal band. Stylistically Venom = thrash, image-wise and lyric-wise, sure they inspired black metal. I mean they pretty much named the genre inadvertently.

But then there are also people who regard Mercyful Fate as black metal for the same reasons.

So, it's the debate about whether 1st wave black metal is or isn't black metal. Hasn't this been done before? (Don't Break The Oath review?)
I know Venom are often regarded as the originators of both genres, which is why I mentioned them, but didn't Black and Thrash both evolve separatly, and on different continents too? Although a lot of early black metal bands were death metal bands, which came from thrash, I don't think this was big part of black's early sound. They simply changed styles, like Metallica going from thrash to heavy, or Therion going from death to symphonic.
And yes, I am one of the people who regard Mercyful Fate's first 2 albums as black metal, although I do use the preccursor(is that the right word?) 1st wave black.
Like early heavy metal and NWOBHM. Different but the same.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
05.11.2011 - 12:37
listmor

There is a thread somewhere about a documentary about the beginning of thrash and there is a great argument in the post about whether Suicidal Tendencies are thrash or not. There is argument back and forth in that thread about the accuracy of the documentary and whether Suicidal Tendencies are thrash or not.

I have never seen the movie. I like Suicidal Tendencies and would say that a good deal of their stuff is thrash or would appeal to those who like thrash.

Be it wrong or right, in my life thrash evolved from hard core punk. The metalists simply refined the sound speed and lyrics and what was hard core punk become thrash metal.

Thrash is mighty good, but I vote no. It is not the most important, because there is no most important.
20.12.2011 - 19:58
Joppe
Steelemeister
Thrash most important yes but speed almost as much
----
My vision is augmented
20.12.2011 - 21:09
Aristarchos

Venom was a NWOBHM band, not a thrash band, so black came from NWOBHM.
20.12.2011 - 21:21
Grody2themax

I would say NWOBHM is. THough its not really important, as every different sub genre has a more important sub genre to their own usually. But, just about every metalhead has listened to Iron Maiden and the triplets and guitar harmonies are still there today. I remember watching an Immortal video and noticing the Iron Maiden influence in the rhythmic section of the guitar. The drumming was completely different though.
21.12.2011 - 13:57
arwestromen

Nah Heavy metal is the importent one.....it's the offspring of hard rock who is the offspring of something who is an offspring of something else etc. etc. etc. Blues

But true, extreme metal wouldn't be the same without thrash
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
21.12.2011 - 14:58
vezzy
Stallmanite
Thrash is important, but nowadays considerably impotent as well.

Now that's a worldwide punomenon, children.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
25.12.2011 - 23:26
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by vezzy on 21.12.2011 at 14:58

I love reading this from a 13 yrs old -_-

How is thrash impotent, tell me this
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
25.12.2011 - 23:35
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Guib on 25.12.2011 at 23:26

Hmmmmm probably coz the old bands put out the same stuff for 20 years, and the newer bands are just revitalist that imitate what was already done, ending up in no one to take over and try to make things interesting ? Thrash lives from the past.
25.12.2011 - 23:41
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Vombatus on 25.12.2011 at 23:35

Hmmmmm probably coz the old bands put out the same stuff for 20 years, and the newer bands are just revitalist that imitate what was already done, ending up in no one to take over and try to make things interesting ? Thrash lives from the past.

and where do you get that revivalists are imitating ? from other people who told you so... ? or maybe some ''authority'' on the subject or did you actually try to forge your own opinion, I doubt it really, cos with the statement you just made up it seems to me you have no clue what you're talking about? Yes yes, there is certainly alot of thrash bands that sounds like Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Vektor, Hellcannon, Striker, Forgotten Horror or Cautiva.. and also all the old bands put up bad albums nowadays don't they ? Like Ironbound or Exhibit B .. comon you'll have to do better than that my friend, before dissing a huge selection of young bands, inform yourself, listen to them.

Sure I can give you the credit that alot of new bands sucks... but thats about it, some old bands sucks aswell
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
25.12.2011 - 23:58
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Guib on 25.12.2011 at 23:41

and where do you get that revivalists are imitating ? from other people who told you so... ? or maybe some ''authority'' on the subject or did you actually try to forge your own opinion, I doubt it really, cos with the statement you just made up it seems to me you have no clue what you're talking about? Yes yes, there is certainly alot of thrash bands that sounds like Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Vektor, Hellcannon, Striker or Forgotten Horror.. and also all the old bands put up bad albums nowadays don't they ? Like Ironbound or Exhibit B .. comon you'll have to do better than that my friend.

I'm old enough not to believe everything people tell me I just don't see the appeal of modern thrash (with a few exceptions obviously), so I'll stick (mostly) to the old stuff. Oh and "all the old bands put up bad albums nowadays" is incorrect

I won't do better, we just have different opinions
26.12.2011 - 00:00
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Vombatus on 25.12.2011 at 23:58

Written by Guib on 25.12.2011 at 23:41

and where do you get that revivalists are imitating ? from other people who told you so... ? or maybe some ''authority'' on the subject or did you actually try to forge your own opinion, I doubt it really, cos with the statement you just made up it seems to me you have no clue what you're talking about? Yes yes, there is certainly alot of thrash bands that sounds like Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Vektor, Hellcannon, Striker or Forgotten Horror.. and also all the old bands put up bad albums nowadays don't they ? Like Ironbound or Exhibit B .. comon you'll have to do better than that my friend.

I'm old enough not to believe everything people tell me I just don't see the appeal of modern thrash (with a few exceptions obviously), so I'll stick (mostly) to the old stuff. Oh and "all the old bands put up bad albums nowadays" is incorrect

I won't do better, we just have different opinions

just btw when I said ''all the old bands put up bad albums'' you know... I was being sarcastic right I named 2 great albums right after -_-
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
26.12.2011 - 05:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

The modern stuff? It's derivative, sterile, and completely lacks the same bite that was present in the original sound.

And it hasn't progressed in over 20 years. The only bands who seem to know how to write interesting thrash metal are the bands that helped pioneer it.
----
26.12.2011 - 07:57
MesiasDesmorphus

Most important genre of metal is reserved for NWOBHM. . . if it weren't for that one than none of them would truly have existed, really.
26.12.2011 - 08:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by MesiasDesmorphus on 26.12.2011 at 07:57
Most important genre of metal is reserved for NWOBHM. . . if it weren't for that one than none of them would truly have existed, really.

Traditional heavy metal ---> New wave of British heavy metal
----
26.12.2011 - 12:29
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.12.2011 at 08:19
Traditional heavy metal ---> New wave of British heavy metal

Good thing Marcel told you that a few days ago.

At least my spelling, grammar and punctuation is superior to yours, and I'm a 13 y/o Bulgarian kid. Hahaha.
----
26.12.2011 - 12:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by vezzy on 26.12.2011 at 12:29
Good thing Marcel told you that a few days ago.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist (or whatever Marcel is) to figure out that a "new wave" of something means there was a first wave to spawn a successor.
----
26.12.2011 - 12:34
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.12.2011 at 12:31
It doesn't take a rocket scientist (or whatever Marcel is) to figure out that a "new wave" of something means there was a first wave to spawn a successor.

What about New Wave itself?
----
26.12.2011 - 12:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by vezzy on 26.12.2011 at 12:34

Fucking exceptions.
----
26.12.2011 - 13:42
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Thrash Metal is the only genre that has really shaped up well. New Thrash bands of today has shoot up their level so high[ from their new EP'S/ CD ALBUM] that they enter into the mainstream era quickly. Take up any new album of any new thrash band and you can see they never disappoints[ majority].IMO very close to Thrash Metal gonna be Heavy Metal. They have a quite strife competition if you compare these two both genre.
26.12.2011 - 22:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Thrash the most important? No...

Oh... and about "Thrash Metal is the only genre that has really shaped up well" and "where do you get that revivalists are imitating?"
Lol to both. And one big lol with the "age card", that's a classy.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
26.12.2011 - 22:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.12.2011 at 12:36

Written by vezzy on 26.12.2011 at 12:34

Fucking exceptions.