Metal Storm logo
Do you think thrash is the most IMPORTANT metal genre?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 10.07.2011 - 02:01
I think thrash is the most important metal genre because:
1. It took metal to the extreme. 80s thrash bands took heavy metal and upped the ante, so we can say thrash is a bridge between Melodic and Extreme metal.
2. It is the base of Death and Black metal, two of the most important genres. Imagine we have Death or Black metal but there's no thrash. Impossible.
3. Thrashy riffs are used in almost every metal genres. I can thrashy riffs even in Ensiferum!
4. Thrash has some of the best metal bands in the world. The 6 most popular bands on MS have 3 thrash bands in them.
So...Do you agree?

Poll

Do you think thrash is the most important metal genre?

NO
Yes

Total votes: 194
26.12.2011 - 22:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.12.2011 at 22:42

And one big lol with the "age card", that's a classy.

Especially considering Vezzy is over twenty
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.12.2011 - 22:57
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.12.2011 at 22:52

Especially considering Vezzy is over twenty

There's so many people here creating some alter-egos, so people who don't pay close attention can often get confused.
----
7.0 means the album is good
27.12.2011 - 22:21
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.12.2011 at 05:32

Written by Guib on 25.12.2011 at 23:26
How is thrash impotent, tell me this

The modern stuff? It's derivative, sterile, and completely lacks the same bite that was present in the original sound.

And it hasn't progressed in over 20 years. The only bands who seem to know how to write interesting thrash metal are the bands that helped pioneer it.

We already discussed that Troy Bieberjoy -_- you know my opinion on this point, and I know yours, never ending circle of disagreement
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
28.12.2011 - 13:11
adace1
I think it's about as important as doom metal which helped produce sludge, stoner, drone, and post-metal. Then there's plain, mid-tempo heavy metal which is just as important as doom and thrash. There really is no "most important metal genre." There's only the genre(s) you like the most.
29.12.2011 - 02:50
ANGEL REAPER
Written by adace1 on 28.12.2011 at 13:11

There really is no "most important metal genre." There's only the genre(s) you like the most.

+1
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
30.12.2011 - 23:11
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 29.12.2011 at 02:50

Written by adace1 on 28.12.2011 at 13:11

There really is no "most important metal genre." There's only the genre(s) you like the most.

+1

+2
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
31.12.2011 - 01:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.12.2011 at 22:47
not really

Well there isn't really "wave" or "first wave" or "old wave".
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.12.2011 - 02:15
Pennywise
Account deleted
Its this way: Blues - Electric Blues - Blues Rock - Classic Metal - Punk - NWOBHM/Speed Metal - Thrash Metal - Death/Black.

So yeah Trash is the most important metal genre, since it is the result of NWOBHM and Mötorheads Speed Metal.
31.12.2011 - 02:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 31.12.2011 at 02:15
So yeah Trash is the most important metal genre, since it is the result of NWOBHM and Mötorheads Speed Metal.

So why wouldn't NWOBHM/speed be the most important?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.12.2011 - 02:39
Pennywise
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.12.2011 at 02:32

Written by Guest on 31.12.2011 at 02:15

So why wouldn't NWOBHM/speed be the most important?

The same reason why Beat muisc is not the most important rock genre, it was shortlasting worked as fondation for something bigger, more major.

Iron Maiden and Saxon are the only long lasting NWOHM bands and Speed metal envolved in short time into Thrash. Thrash is a mayor genre, the two other worked as predecessor.
31.12.2011 - 02:45
RavenKing
Imo, Thrash is not the most important genre. However, Thrash has been a very important genre as it pioneered extreme metal.
It is entirely subjective here but, imo, the most important metal genre now and the one that is in best shape is Black Metal.
I don't mean that BM doesn't spawn a lot of crap but it is always possible to find new an interestting BM releases, something I can't say about other genres.

By the way, almost all Thrash albums I like are old stuff. I think nearly all new Thrash albums are not interesting.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
31.12.2011 - 02:48
RavenKing
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.12.2011 at 05:32

Written by Guib on 25.12.2011 at 23:26
How is thrash impotent, tell me this

The modern stuff? It's derivative, sterile, and completely lacks the same bite that was present in the original sound.

That's quite often what is happening, indeed. Hellish Crossfire being a good exception. Their stuff is raw and grabs you by the throat.
----
01.01.2012 - 17:16
Thrash is awesome but not the best metal genre . Probably old school heavy metal is the best metal genre.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
01.01.2012 - 20:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Infernal Eternal on 01.01.2012 at 17:16
Trash is awesome but not the best metal genre . Probably old school heavy metal is the best metal genre

Best =/= most important. It's more about impact and significance as opposed to overall quality.
----
01.01.2012 - 21:25
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
90% of the threads here are just arguements.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
01.01.2012 - 21:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 01.01.2012 at 21:25

You wanna argue about that or something?
----
01.01.2012 - 21:37
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.01.2012 at 21:33

Written by Boxcar Willy on 01.01.2012 at 21:25

You wanna argue about that or something?

Yes.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.01.2012 - 05:57
RavenKing
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.01.2012 at 20:52

Trash is awesome but not the best metal genre . Probably old school heavy metal is the best metal genre

Best =/= most important. It's more about impact and significance as opposed to overall quality.

Either way I look at it, being importance or quality, Thrash beats old school Heavy Metal in my mind.
The only way old school Heavy Metal can beat Thrash is in the outdated department.
----
10.03.2012 - 07:18
DJ Mythos
the fuck does this even mean?!
----
Vapour Bay Radio

Miasmic anti-modern metal.
10.03.2012 - 15:20
Written by RavenKing on 02.01.2012 at 05:57

Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.01.2012 at 20:52

Either way I look at it, being importance or quality, Thrash beats old school Heavy Metal in my mind.
The only way old school Heavy Metal can beat Thrash is in the outdated department.

You're right but you have to consider that all metal subgenres were born from the different aspects of heavy metal.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
10.03.2012 - 15:41
Branzig
I wouldn't say that thrash is the most important genre of metal, but I would say that thrash acts were some of the most INFLUENTIAL bands to come out and were an essential cog for death and black metalers to learn from.

The speed, the breakdowns and key changes, the minor riffs, the blast beats, the heavy use of chugs, satanic lyrical themes, murder scene lyric themes, war lyric themes....

The way that a lot of thrash acts (Slayer, Sodom, Hellhammer, Bathory, Destruction, Mercyful Fate, etc) INFLUENCED the more "extreme" metal acts was huge in my opinion.
----
In Grind We Crust
01.06.2012 - 07:03
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Branzig on 10.03.2012 at 15:41

I wouldn't say that thrash is the most important genre of metal, but I would say that thrash acts were some of the most INFLUENTIAL bands to come out and were an essential cog for death and black metalers to learn from.

The speed, the breakdowns and key changes, the minor riffs, the blast beats, the heavy use of chugs, satanic lyrical themes, murder scene lyric themes, war lyric themes....

The way that a lot of thrash acts (Slayer, Sodom, Hellhammer, Bathory, Destruction, Mercyful Fate, etc) INFLUENCED the more "extreme" metal acts was huge in my opinion.

I would not consider Mercyful Fate a Thrash Metal act but essentially I agree with what you said

Its probably not the most important (I think there is not really a most important genre in metal) but certainly a huge influence for alot of subgenre.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
07.09.2012 - 11:41
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Even though thrash helped to make more extreme metal forms such as black and death metal, thrash metal would not have existed without the earlier styles of speed metal, the NWOBHM, along with the very early pioneers a'la Black Sabbath.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
07.09.2012 - 11:59
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Thrash is one of the most influencing metal genres
07.09.2012 - 13:25
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I say "no", but it may be because i like heavy metal more than thrash...but i would say both genres were and are same important for the evolution of metal
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

09.09.2012 - 11:52
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Ankläger on 10.07.2011 at 02:59

Wouldn't, you know, METAL have to be the most important genre, since that's where METAL came from?

1. METAL took METAL to the... METAL. And did various things to it.
2. It is the base of Thrash (and, of course, NWOBHM, as Marcel said), the bast of Death and Black metal, two of the most important genres.
3. METAL riffs are used in almost every metal genre (and even some outside it).
4. METAL has some of the best metal bands in the world. The 2389 most popular bands on MS have 2389 METAL bands in them.

I don't get your logic.

I think Rock is an even more important genre. Without rock, there wouldn't be metal, and since heavy metal is just a sub-genre of rock (albeit a HUGE sub-genre), all sub-genres of metal owe themselves to rock.

I know that wasn't your point, your point was to tell him how flawed his logic is. My point is that MUSIC is the most important influence for all genres. Without the invention of music, none of this shit would matter. This is also why I'm not a pure metalhead, I like plenty of other genres as well.

So what I'm trying to say is that I agree with you, this poll is kinda pointless. I of course voted NO.
----
25.06.2014 - 01:35
Every metal genre offers something special, but thrash is widely accepted by metalhads and its ''gifts'' are remarkable.
Make thrash not love.
25.06.2014 - 14:31
Ganondox
More like the most overrated. Yes, it laid down the foundations of extreme metal and influenced a wide range of subgenres, and the big 4 are some of metal's most popular bands (more mainstream than "mainstream" bands ), but that isn't all of metal. NWOBHM/Speed Metal laid the foundations for both thrash and power metal, and thus proceeded every metal subgenre that didn't come out of doom.
10.07.2014 - 18:06
Ganondox
Written by deadone on 10.07.2014 at 09:48

Written by Ganondox on 25.06.2014 at 14:31

More like the most overrated. Yes, it laid down the foundations of extreme metal and influenced a wide range of subgenres, and the big 4 are some of metal's most popular bands (more mainstream than "mainstream" bands ), but that isn't all of metal. NWOBHM/Speed Metal laid the foundations for both thrash and power metal, and thus proceeded every metal subgenre that didn't come out of doom.

You do realise there were "doomy" bands in NWOBHM ala Witchfinder General?

Without Thrash (including speed metal bands ala Exciter, Helloween, Grave Digger etc etc) there is no extreme metal. Death emerged straight out of Thrash. Black was developed as a reaction to Death and took on some Thrashy elements from Bathory and early German Thrash. Groove is a direct offshoot of Thrash. Grindcore was influenced by Thrash too. And from these arises pretty much anything else.

Early heavy metal and NWOBHM (and punk) on the other hand were immensly important to development of metal but most of them didn't stray from hard rock too much. And indeed hard rock and heavy metal were used as interchangeable terms. Even the more extreme NWOBHM Thrash detached metal from mainstream hard rock and created the emphasis on extremity - initially speed but then heaviness, vocal delivery, extreme experimentation etc etc. It's true you had bands like Venom doing extreme stuff in 1981-82 but they were viewed as a caricature whereas the Thrash bands ala Metallica legitimised extreme music.

Yes, you've only told me that like 5 times, but it doesn't change my point because it's clear what I was referring to. If anything that just adds to the argument that NWOBHM is more important than thrash, though Witch Finder General is clearly in a different vain than the rest.

That doesn't contradict anything I said, "it laid down the foundations of extreme metal". You actually made it out to be less influential then I claimed, by bringing up Venom and how some black metal isn't related to thrash. Aside from extreme metal, it also influenced things like nu metal and whatnot. Meanwhile, there are numerous genres that are for the most part unrelated to thrash, such as power, gothic, drone, sludge, symphonic, progressive ect. Considering that NWOBHM was a thing, there was a clearly a difference between heavy metal and hard rock when it was a thing, otherwise the title wouldn't make any sense. I think that by the time Sin After Sin was released hard rock and heavy metal were no more interchangeable then they are today among non-metalheads (metalheads often deny a bunch of stuff which would have clearly been called heavy metal in the past is metal, so yeah). I might as well say thrash didn't venture far from hardcore punk until it became death metal. I'd argue doom is probably more important as not only did it influence nearly as many metal genres as thrash and is older, but it also had a huge influence on grunge (and thus most of modern rock) and other non-metal music genres, which can't be said for thrash.
11.07.2014 - 02:47
Vombatus
Potorro
Haven't read anything. But the answers fits in one word: No. However, I'm quite sure we can think that Thrash is the most stagnant/boring genre nowadays