02. Helldorado
03. Don't Cry (Just Suck)
04. Damnation Angels
05. Dirty Balls
06. High On The Flames
07. Cocaine Cowboys
08. Can't Die Tonight
09. Saturday Night Cockfight
10. Hot Rods To Hell (Helldorado Reprise)

At this stage in the game, it was readily apparent what Blackie Lawless was capable of. Even in his hairiest days, he and W.A.S.P. could still pump out surprisingly dark tracks like "Widowmaker" and "Hellion" that would send your average Dokken or Def Leppard running for the hills. After the release of The Crimson Idol, one of the greatest metal albums ever recorded, Helldorado seems like blasphemy in comparison. This excruciating exercise in mediocrity seems to have escaped from Poison's "rejected" pile.

"Helldorado," the first real song, is actually halfway decent. Despite beginning with Generic Riff #16A (which you may remember from such songs as AC/DC's "Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be"), it contains that all-important spark of rebellious energy. Yes, it is stupid and means nothing, but it is the kind of stupid that everyone likes to indulge in every now and then. The album plummets in quality once the second song starts. After five seconds, you may notice something familiar - why, it's our old friend, the? the exact same opening riff from the last song. What? That's right, I had to replay the first few seconds of each song multiple times to be sure, but Blackie just recycled a riff like a granola-munching hybrid jockey recycles an empty soy milk bottle. I wish I could say it gets better.

The first time I listened to this album, I got about as far as "Dirty Balls" before I left in disgust; next time, I made it to "Cocaine Cowboys." It was several tries before I made it all the way through. Most of Helldorado is Blackie Lawless just shouting "Aaaaayyyyyy!!!!" or "Ooooohhhh!!!!" as if he knows his lyrics are reprehensibly juvenile and is trying to disguise them with indistinctive yells. On its own merits, this album is bargain bin material; it's good for throwing at a hated enemy, or perhaps using as a coaster. The one small detail that makes this album an almost unforgivable offense is that this is no ordinary band; this is W.A.S.P.. W.A.S.P. doesn't write this dreck; W.A.S.P. blows our minds (and our speakers) with "The Great Misconceptions of Me" and "The Headless Children"!

Helldorado suffers on many levels. First and foremost, the songwriting is simplified and stripped-down to the point where it seems to be feeding off itself with fairly discouraging results. Secondly, the lineup had changed drastically prior to recording. Bob Kulick and Frankie Banali, a powerhouse duo whose brilliant chops had graced several previous albums, left to pursue other projects. Chris Holmes rejoined in Kulick's stead, and while he arguably had a right to as a founding member, the W.A.S.P. he had rejoined was very different from the W.A.S.P. he had left in 1990. Finally, it is painfully obvious that Blackie's heart is not in this at all. As he wrote numbskull anthems like "Can't Die Tonight," somewhere in the back of his mind Jonathan Steele must have been punching trains out of shame.

This baby'll go from zero to nothing in six seconds flat. It sounds like it was written by a bunch of headless children.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 4
Songwriting: 3
Originality: 2
Production: 6

Written by ScreamingSteelUS | 10.07.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
DayFly
Rating:
What an unlucky album "Kill, Fuck, Die" was. Not only did it lack well deserved praise, but the fan backlash to the band's experimentation made an all too eager to please Blackie Lawless reverse his creative direction way back to the band's roots, saying that Helldorado will sound exactly like the band's demos - and incidentally, it does. And even though "The Last Command" and "Winged Assassins" had their moments, in retrospect the band had already topped those albums by far at least twice. "Helldorado", however, had none of the energy and enthusiasm of the band's early days and after a series of albums with mature content, not even the die-hard fans of the early bloody stage show responded happily to an album about booze, sex and drugs. It's not the at times admittedly horrible lyrics (if you care all that much about the lyrics, read a book) - it's the simplicity and stupidity of the songs' topics that transforms into simple music.

Read more ››
published 04.10.2008 | Comments (2)

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 82 users
11.07.2011 - 15:05
Rating: 4
Kuroboshi

Great review.
11.07.2011 - 21:10
Rating: 3
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Thanks! I think it's my best so far, if I do say so myself.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
18.07.2011 - 18:30
Rating: 9
Iceland_Norway

Why the rating for Helldorado is so low?? For me it's a beautiful album.
----
Føroyar mítt land

Tú alfagra land mítt

Føroyar mín Móðir
22.06.2014 - 06:09
Rating: 7
Timelord

I find it Amazing how some people know whats best for a band and what they should and shouldn't do. All the while not having a clue about the business side of being in a band such as W.A.S.P. With the less than stellar reception that KFD received (undeserving) the landscape had changed with the Nu Metal bands in full swing and downloading not only killing sales but the music business as a whole. W.A.S.P. needed to attract new and younger fans. Not gonna happen being all serious making albums about some ole dude on Lexapro(The Crimson Idol should have NEVER been called a W.A.S.P. album because it wasn't!) What better way to attract younger fans than to fall back on sex,drugs and uh...uh...thats it sex and drugs. Problem I had with the whole thing was Blackie was never a druggie AND he was some sort of Christian guy now singing Kill Fuck Die? What a JOKE!! Same goes for Megadave er deth. Its not genuine and everybody knows it. Matters not how old you are! If it does then shut the fuck up and stop mentioning their older material. Thing is....we can't because it was genuine. Just because you hit the 40 yr old mark doesn't mean it has to be serious all the time. This was just a young fan grab that failed.

That being said, the score given by the reviewer((3.5?!!!)) is just absurd and not uncommon as it seems when he doesn't like a band he drools at the mouth to give some ridiculously low scores. His own words after giving Six Feet Under a score of 4.8 "You know what? It's not the worst album I've heard this month. I've made it my business over the last four years to rip Chris Barnes to shreds just as he has his own vocal cords" To me that is shit reviewing letting personal obsessions dictate your objectiveness.
13.12.2019 - 17:18
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Timelord on 22.06.2014 at 06:09

1400 lines of cringe

Damn I don't know what's better, this review or this comment
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 4569 | This month: 6