Metal Storm logo
Paying speeding ticket in pennies

14.07.2011 - 04:16
SerratedSyringe

I live near the capitol of North Carolina (United States) and recently received a speeding ticket for doing 67mph in a 35mph zone. That's what the officer said, however I believe he was bluffing. I have not had my court date yet, so I don't know how much I will be fined, but I intend to pay for the fine in pennies. I'm sure that sounds juvenile and petulant, but I'm not doing it solely to piss off the court system. It actually works out that up until 2010 (and perhaps still), each penny minted by the US Government costs them more than one cent to produce. Therefore by paying in pennies they make no revenue from my ticket (Yes, it still costs ME the same amount; I am quite aware of this.). I have done a little bit of research about other people paying for tickets in pennies and the general consensus is that the court will attempt to refuse my payment method, even though there is a statute clearly stating that all cash and coin minted by the United States Government may be used as payment for any "debt" but not necessarily goods or services. I think it's fair to say that an un-payed ticket counts as debt.

Has anyone else here tried anything similar? Are there similar (or dissimilar) laws in other countries which would allow or prevent this? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
16.07.2011 - 21:35
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
No offense but it's kind of a asshole move to pay in pennies. Its really tons of work and a pain in the ass for everyone if that happens just because you feel like it.
If you think he was bluffing, why didn't you ask to see his radar gun? You that in the United States you have every chance to see that so that you can protest it. If you didn't do that, its on you. Just buck up and pay the fine and save people the trouble.

That's just my opinion. I would furious if I was a city worker and had to deal with some guy trying to pay in pennies.
17.07.2011 - 01:55
SerratedSyringe

None taken. The pennies will be in rolls of 100. If they want to throw a hissy fit, I'd be glad to count the 300 rolls, (or whatever-the-hell-amount they decide to charge me) number of rolls in front of them. The point is to negate the revenue they collect through speed traps, not piss off the worker behind the desk. Of course, this is all assuming I loose the case, which I plan to fight tooth and nail anyway.
----
17.07.2011 - 02:32
Mattybu

I guess there's nothing wrong with what you're doing, but if it is $300, that's 30,000 pennies... You have that lying around?
17.07.2011 - 05:00
SerratedSyringe

No, I don't have 30,000 pennies lying around, but my bank does. You can withdraw pennies just like any other cash.
----
17.07.2011 - 17:14
Mattybu

Huh, I wouldn't know, I've never tried to withdraw pennies before, hehe.
18.07.2011 - 20:54
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
USA: Worrying about having to pay for a speeding ticket that you ARE guilty of committing
Egypt: Worrying about being shot in the head by a police sniper during a protest against the corrupt regime that has been robbing us for the past 30 years

wanna trade lives ?

----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
19.07.2011 - 03:40
SerratedSyringe

Written by Zombie on 18.07.2011 at 20:54

USA: Worrying about having to pay for a speeding ticket that you ARE guilty of committing
Egypt: Worrying about being shot in the head by a police sniper during a protest against the corrupt regime that has been robbing us for the past 30 years

wanna trade lives ?

This thread isn't about political corruption in Egypt, it's about protesting frivolous government expenditures in the United States. And hypothetically, I would not be opposed to "trading lives".
----
20.07.2011 - 18:36
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Dude you are not protesting anything other than being an asshole. You are proving no point to anyone. The people working behind the desk who will have to work with you have done nothing wrong to you and they have to deal with this.

You were going fucking 67 in a 35, pay the fine for you dumbass mistake and move on. Don't make others suffer because you want to prove a point? The point is that you broke a speeding law and are being an asshole by making everyone deal with pennies. That is just my two cents on this.