Metal Storm logo
What allows you to sit through an extensively long song?

14.07.2011 - 09:23
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
I am a fan of music, be it long or short, cheesy or profound. But there is a sort of a paradox when it comes to individual songs with a length of 10 minutes or more. I seem to encounter this length with bands like Moonsorrow or While Heaven Wept but it also extends to more droning styles that I am not familiar with like Warning. I am just curious to know what allows you, the listeners, to be able to sit through songs of this length, even if they are really 3 or 4 songs melded into one in a tenuous attempt to make a song sound more (and I hate to use this word) "epic".

Explain.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
14.07.2011 - 13:26
Daniell
_爱情_
All you need is proper attention span. I'd say that if someone can't sit straight for 30 minutes focusing on 1 thing, they need to see a psychologist, because there's something wrong with them. Of course, if a song sucks, it's a different story.
14.07.2011 - 18:09
Guib
Thrash Talker
The only way i'm gonna sit through such a long song when it has not been made by Pink Floyd... its because of the musical quality. I mean it doesn't have to be 4 songs put into one, that actually turns me the fuck down. But I love when the musicality expresses emotions and atmospheres... it has to be part of one big thing but with alot of different parts. Solos would definitely help the song to get my attention but overdoing it can sometimes be boring aswell. But anyways, as long as the music's good, I'll be listening. Usually, originality is welcome.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.07.2011 - 18:42
Sammol

I can listen to long songs when there are No repetitive shiz to make it long.
14.07.2011 - 20:26
Sean 79

Wyrd- Heathen. 51 minutes and 11 seconds of pagan genius
14.07.2011 - 20:33
ß
Problem?
A long attention span and time.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
14.07.2011 - 22:20
ADIresiduos

It has to be at least a listenable/decent song, so it makes you feel something and grab your atttention, otherwise you'll end up skiping it. Of course if it's a great song it will help a lot to keep your attention all the time (Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner comes to mind).
15.07.2011 - 03:33
Mattybu

For me, basically it just has to be a good song. Rime of the Ancient Mariner, 2112, Child in Time, these are all songs I listen to regularly and have no problem sitting through. One thing I will say though, I find it easier to pay attention to longer songs when I'm not doing anything that occupies my mind too much. So, like, while I'm washing dishes, or just before sleeping, is a good time, but if I'm walking down the street or doing work of some sort, I prefer shorter songs.
15.07.2011 - 10:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Daniell on 14.07.2011 at 13:26

All you need is proper attention span. I'd say that if someone can't sit straight for 30 minutes focusing on 1 thing, they need to see a psychologist, because there's something wrong with them. Of course, if a song sucks, it's a different story.

ADD. It's a gift and a curse. I can't focus on anything or sit in one spot for longer than 15-20 minutes unless I'm sleeping. Even if I'm thoroughly enjoying a TV show or movie, I usually have to pause it and go do something else for a few minutes or else I get stir crazy. Though sometimes ADD does the exact opposite - makes you hyperfocus to the point where you completely zone out from anything else.

Anyways, I have the same problem as LeChron. I generally like reading while listening to long ass songs. Whenever the book gets boring my mind drifts into the music, and whenever the song gets boring I can sink myself back into the story. Most of my music rarely exceeds the 4 minute mark though.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.07.2011 - 10:33
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Doc G. on 15.07.2011 at 10:14

ADD. It's a gift and a curse. I can't focus on anything or sit in one spot for longer than 15-20 minutes unless I'm sleeping. Even if I'm thoroughly enjoying a TV show or movie, I usually have to pause it and go do something else for a few minutes or else I get stir crazy. Though sometimes ADD does the exact opposite - makes you hyperfocus to the point where you completely zone out from anything else.

In order to find out that you have ADD, you had to see a doctor, which proves my point I know how tiresome ADD can be. I have a friend with it.
15.07.2011 - 10:35
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Daniell on 15.07.2011 at 10:33

Written by Doc G. on 15.07.2011 at 10:14

In order to find out that you have ADD, you had to see a doctor, which proves my point I know how tiresome ADD can be. I have a friend with it.

Fair enough. I thought you meant in the more like...Therapy type way. I was diagnosed with it but not much happened past that. I can function day-to-day without medication luckily. Believe it or not it does have its upsides.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.07.2011 - 10:51
wormdrink414

I have it too. And I get by without medication as well... have you guys listened to the new Decapitated album yet? I've taken under the counter meds for it before and not really liked the way I feel. I kind of like having a weak attention span. Even though I like to think more in terms of being an expert multi-tasker.

Anyway, makes reading difficult sometimes, but not too difficult. So when I do finish a book, or make my way through a Moonsorrow album, I feel like I've overcome roadblocks and accomplished something.
15.07.2011 - 12:07
Slayer666

I can stomach such songs (although, when I say long, I mean clockin' around 15-20 minutes, 10 minutes isn't really that long) if they are either varied or have a totally mesmerizing feel/atmosphere to them.

It's funny, though, how a song by most Flower Metal bands can seem to last for 30+ minutes when it's actually only 4-5 minutes long...
15.07.2011 - 15:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Slayer666 on 15.07.2011 at 12:07

It's funny, though, how a song by most Flower Metal bands can seem to last for 30+ minutes when it's actually only 4-5 minutes long...

----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.07.2011 - 17:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

funny, though, how a song by most Flower Metal bands can seem to last for 30+ minutes when it's actually only 4-5 minutes long...

Quoted for truth!

If the song is good, that's all that matters. Sometimes there are song that are like 7-10 minutes and when they stop I think "holy shit this song could have been 5 mintues longer!".... So yeah, it's only a matter of how good the song is. Styles like doom metal usually need long compositions because that's a great way to put set the mood completely.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.07.2011 - 18:01
Daniell
_爱情_

I concur too!
15.07.2011 - 18:51
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I'm generally doing something else rather than just listening to music.

one of my favorite ways to wrap up a night is playing some carrot on a stick video game while listening to music or books on tape (recently got the first three of Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" sereis) ... also reading. as with Doc, it's a case of mixing things up. reading with doom on is good, and when my eyes grow tired, the music can suck me in (if particularly good). also something like WOW will keep the antsy bit of me occupied while the music captures the second half of my attention.

but i'm weird. when in the navy i had learn morse code. for about three months i spent 6-7 hours a night, 5 nights a week listening to it and having to type out what i was hearing. after about a week it became some automated response that required almost no mental effort... just stimulus->response... ..-. = f, etc... we'd listen or 50 minutes then have a break... so my mind would wander back to all sorts of things and memories i had long forgotten.

i can basically compartmentalize some of the stuff bouncing around my gray matter. i think to a certain extent the only reason i still play video games is it's an activity that is just stim->response allowing me to listen to a lot of new music without suffering boredom.

and if the song is really good or has a strong impact, i can easily sit straight through it.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.07.2011 - 19:09
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by BitterCOld on 15.07.2011 at 18:51

and if the song is really good or has a strong impact, i can easily sit straight through it.

For example, I have no probem at all sitting through "Light of Day, Day of Darkness" which is 60 minutes long. It's so good that I can do absolutely nothing and still the song will keep my attention till the last sounds of it.
15.07.2011 - 19:30
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
First of, all credits to my ass and secondly i love to awaits how the songs gonna shape it up!!!
20.07.2011 - 09:06
Plague

I can stomach such songs (although, when I say long, I mean clockin' around 15-20 minutes, 10 minutes isn't really that long) if they are either varied or have a totally mesmerizing feel/atmosphere to them.

Yeah, it's the mesmerizing feel. Demon Advance by Beherit is 15 mins long is pretty repetitive in its vibe and rhythm and kinda gets in my head. I"d also say if a song changes up, like if it seems like 4 songs in one then thats easy to listen to.
----
Darkness is part of your nature...embrace it and emancipate your evil wickedness!
Infernal soldiers demonized,
Fucked up angels sodomized,
Face of the earth dechristianized
The universe...SATANIZED!
25.07.2011 - 10:35
DM613

All you charge is able absorption amount. I'd say that if anyone can't sit beeline for 30 account absorption on 1 affair, they charge to see a analyst, because there's someaffair amiss with them. Of advance, if a song sucks, it's a altered adventure. ----
25.07.2011 - 10:49
ToMegaTherion

Long songs are something which can be both a blessing and a curse on an album because they can on their own either make or break an album. I guess I am able to sit through them because im usually doing something else while im listening to them. I suppose it depends like all other songs of any length, on the quality and performance of the music.
25.07.2011 - 15:36
Jirpo

I just built up some patience. I love long songs and progressive music. The idea of them is very fun to me. If I'm listening to music, why does it matter if I can fit 5 songs into a half an hour period or just one? I usually listen to full albums anyway, so the individual song length isn't much of a bother.
28.07.2011 - 07:41
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Extensively long songs are amazing for long commutes, especially when you start to become familiar with the different sections. It reminds me of the cassette days, the whole album might as well be one song when you can't skip. I think today's generation has become spoiled, patience is a virtue.

Take a journey, let go of the remote.
28.07.2011 - 09:11
Void Eater
Account deleted
A quality long song won't sound nearly as long as it is. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner sounds like a 7 minute song to me, even though it's 13 minutes long. If a song ever does feel 15 minutes or so long, odds are I'll get bored fast.
29.07.2011 - 04:54
RavenKing

Looks like I'm in a little minority, because I generally prefer long songs. My favorite songs on an album are generally the longest ones. It's most likely part of my fondness for Black Metal: songs are often very long.
I think long songs give more place to tempo changes and build-up. You can develop further than with a short song.

But I'm probably a weird fellow, as I dislike the traditional intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus (something like that) structure.
In general, I prefer songs with no chorus and no guitar solo. Imo, there's nothing more boring than chorus repetition and songs that revolve solely around the chorus (it feels incredibly uninspired to me).
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
30.07.2011 - 02:47
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Atmosphere. Emotion. Catchiness. That's what made me sit through Edge Of Sanity's 40 minute masterpiece Crimson.
31.07.2011 - 20:57
Kennoth

Hmm well... I generally have a short attention span and when listening to any music I just have to do something else with it, even if that something else is posting/reading stuff online. I didn't used to like long songs at all before, but lately I've developed a taste for it. Doom metal and it's varieties are perfect for it.

Solution .45's song Clandestinity Now is 16 minutes long and I simply love it, probably one of the first longish songs I grew to love. While I generally prefer variety, sometimes, a song can take me places even with the most simple of arrangements, and I have no trouble sitting through it. A good example of this would be Procession of Dead Clowns from Blut Aus Nord.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
01.08.2011 - 00:00
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Since I love and I'm used to long songs, it's not really difficult for me. But as I've said before, when I'm listening to music, I need to be doing only that, otherwise my brain won't focus and I won't appreciate the whole experience. I also like to listen to it when I travel.

I do have a short attention span but that generally doesn't show when it comes to music, go figure?! I guess it's just something I love doing, that might explain it.

And like someone said, Void Eater, a long song doesn't seem that long when it's good. They also have that effect on me.

So, basically, I don't need to try that hard, it just comes naturally.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.08.2011 - 14:06
Night Sight

If the song is interesting and is not repeative and boring
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight