Epica - Consign To Oblivion

8.3 | 628 votes |
Release date: 21 April 2005
Style: Symphonic metal

Owners:

696 have it
55 want it
1 trades it

01. Hunab K'u (A New Age Dawns - Prologue)
02. Dance Of Fate
03. The Last Crusade (A New Age Dawns - Part I)
04. Solitary Ground
05. Blank Infinity
06. Force Of The Shore
07. Quietus
08. Mother Of Light (A New Age Dawns - Part II)
09. Trois Vierges [Feat. Roy Khan]
10. Another Me (In Lack'ech)
11. Consign To Oblivion (A New Age Dawns - Part III)
12. The Fallacy [bonus]
13. Palladium [bonus]

The Best Symphonic Metal Album Of 2005

Additional info
Orchestral arrangements by Miro, Mark Jansen E Coen Janssen, except on "Dance Of Fate" by Miro, Mark Jansen, Coen Janssen & Yves Huts and on "Hunab K'u" by Miro & Yves Huts

Choir Arrangements by Coen Janssen
Amanda Somerville - Additional Vocals, Vocal Coach & Lyrical Editor
Latin parts worked out by Gjalt Lucassen & Jaap Toorenaar

Executive producer, coordination & research Hans van Vuuren

Photography by Gabor Nijenhuis (www.gaborvisuals.com), Cosmetics by Carry Smit.
Cover concept, artwork & logo design by Garsten Drescher for Media Logistics GmbH (www.medialogistics.com)

SACD Bonus Tracks:
12. Palladium (02:54) */**
13. Solitary Ground (Soundtrack Version) (04:11) **
14. Quietus (Grunt Version) (03:46) **

* Bonus Track SACD Stereo
** Bonus Tracks SACD Surround Sound

SACD Surround Sound 5.1
mixed by Sascha Paeth & Philip Colodetti at the Gate Studio, Wolfsburg, Germany in December 2004 & January 2005.

CD Audio & SACD Stereo
mastered by Peter Van't Riet at Sound Factory, The Netherlands.

SACD Surround Sound 5.1
mastered by Sander van der Heide at Polyhymnia Internation, The Netherlands.

Guest review by
Lost one
Rating:
Finally, the day has come! Epica's second album, Consign to Oblivion, the follow-up to their praised debut album The Phantom Agony has been released. What a beautiful piece of metal art it has become! I will be quick about the facts but I must tell you a bit about the musical background first.

As you all know, Epica's first release was in many ways inspired by the culture and music of the East. In fact, before the band name was changed to Epica, Mark Jansen's project was called Sahara Dust, which gives away quite a lot about the personality of this still young man. He loves to travel a lot and all the influences that he encounters somehow find their way into his music. This time the influence is the Mayan culture which Mark came across while reading a book with photos of the ancient cities. Four of the albums' songs form a quadrilogy which revolves around one concept, namely the rise, prosper and downfall of the Mayan empire. And that, my friends, is where this CD takes off?

Read more ››
published 22.05.2005 | Comments (10)

Found in 23 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 10   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 637 users
16.07.2011 - 08:32
Rating: 9
ohmayhem

This was my favorite Epica album for quite some time. Really good blending of metal and symphonic influences here.
24.09.2011 - 17:31
Rating: 6
musicalkaratekid

Epic album,i supposed it should have been epic coming from a band called epica;)
10.03.2012 - 06:44
Rating: 10
dantas

Best album of all time. Simple as that.
05.10.2012 - 17:13
Rating: 7
Kuroboshi

Really decent! I tried this b/c I heard it resembles Kamelot. But by the sound of it, I'll enjoy these guys a lot more.
31.10.2012 - 21:00
Rating: 8
Erik M.

Very good album, though highly inferior to The Phantom Agony. The songs Mother Of Light and Consign To Oblivion are the best tracks on the album for me, especially the last one.
22.12.2012 - 16:32
mayoarm

Amazing songwriting, performance and execution. Some songs lacked, but there are a lot of gems here. The closing "Consign to Oblivion" is a progressive masterpiece of a song.
22.12.2012 - 16:33
mayoarm

Amazing songwriting, performance and execution. Some songs lacked, but there are a lot of gems here. The closing "Consign to Oblivion" is a progressive masterpiece of a song.
05.03.2013 - 00:02
Rhiannon
Account deleted
This is the album I got into Epica with, and it was my favourite for a long time. I liked and still like the power metal-lish songs like Dance Of Fate, The Last Crusade, and Mother of Light. And Hunab K'u is my favourite intro ever, sound so much like Pirates of the Caribbean
But now I realize that they hadn't found their style here yet, and made much better albums afterwards. Simone's vocals are quite 'undeveloped' yet (although not as much as on 'The Phantom Agony' ...), and Trois Vierges is their worst ballad ever, despite Roy Khan. But, overall, a good album still. And of course their most popular song is here, Consign to Oblivion.
05.03.2013 - 03:53
Rating: 8
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Guest on 05.03.2013 at 00:02

This is the album I got into Epica with, and it was my favourite for a long time. I liked and still like the power metal-lish songs like Dance Of Fate, The Last Crusade, and Mother of Light. And Hunab K'u is my favourite intro ever, sound so much like Pirates of the Caribbean
But now I realize that they hadn't found their style here yet, and made much better albums afterwards. Simone's vocals are quite 'undeveloped' yet (although not as much as on 'The Phantom Agony' ...), and Trois Vierges is their worst ballad ever, despite Roy Khan. But, overall, a good album still. And of course their most popular song is here, Consign to Oblivion.

I'm surprised at how much I agree with you
08.02.2016 - 13:59
Rating: 10
Joppe
Steelemeister
The BEST epica album IMO. Maybe I'm on the minority when I say the debut was an average album and "Consign" is WAY better, well that's the truth for me. Vocals have improved from the debut, and more Simone vocals less Mark vocals seem to benefit the band's music more. I prefer these songs more than most of what they made before and after this album. The newest Epica albums are a joke if compared to this album (and not of the funny kind!).
----
My vision is augmented

Hits total: 24705 | This month: 53