03. Proselytism Real
04. Christ Passion
05. One Step Over The Line
06. Abuse
07. Sodomy And Lust
08. Ausgebombt
09. The Saw Is The Law
10. Outbreak Of Evil

For a fan of Sodom, 2010's In War In Pieces should be, if nothing less, a reassuring entry into their catalogue - if not even more. Throughout the album Sodom shows they are still very capable of putting out a coherent, exciting, and satisfying thrash album.

Things start off with the title track, "In War and Pieces". It begins with a lighter intro, but soon picks up to a faster paced thrash song, as one would expect. It not only sets the tone for the album well, but closer to the end, especially during the solo, the lightning fast guitar work, pounding drums, and war-themed lyrics should leave any fan of Sodom pleased. They have made a name for themselves with stuff like this, and there's plenty enough heart-pounding thrash here to make up a solid album all around. Songs like "Hellfire" and "Storm Raging Up" speak for themselves when describing the sonic assault this album provides.

The lyrics aren't too surprising, considering the band putting out the album. One would definitely expect the themes explored in songs like those mentioned above, and this can work as both a positive and negative for the album. Most fans should appreciate the usual themes of war and destruction. However, as good as Sodom can write these, there is no real territory that feels like it hasn't been explored yet. Were they to explore some different themes, it could make for some very interesting songs combined with their distinct flavour, but that isn't present. That being said, none of the lyrics are poor, and they get the message across in the majority of songs.

The performance from Sodom is excellent: Tom Angelripper's vocals are spot on, and they are very talented at writing thrash metal (which can be expected from long time acts like them, who have been writing songs like these since the 1980's). The album as a whole is very well produced, and the sound of the instruments is great. Right down to the amazing album cover, the whole album just oozes the Sodom vibe, which long time fans will love.

Overall, In War and Pieces is an excellent album. It brings back the sound and elements that made 80's albums like Agent Orange and Persecution Mania the landmark albums for the band. The production is great, the songwriting is predictable but appropriate, and the Sodom goodness that fans of the thrash trio crave is definitely present. While not the most original, and lacking the songs that absolutely blow you away, it's a solid thrash offering and will undoubtedly satisfy any fan of the German thrash legends.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written by Mattybu | 15.07.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 95 users
18.07.2011 - 20:30
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I haven't listened to much of Sodom but I checked this album out when it came out, and I did not really like it. I guess it might be time to go back and listen to it again. Thanks for a well-written review.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
18.07.2011 - 22:14
Mattybu

You're very welcome. It's my first review I put up so I wasn't sure if those who looked at it would think it was good or bad. I had a good time with this album, and for me it still gets some playage pretty regularly.
30.07.2011 - 02:57
Rating: 8
HardSide

Overall, In War and Pieces is an excellent album. It brings back the sound and elements that made 80's albums like Agent Orange and Persecution Mania the landmark albums for the band. = Excellent summary of the album, if you did like the good old days of sodom, you will love this album.
20.08.2011 - 19:25
Rating: 9
Marcelo Hissa

Sounds a bit like Slayer...
----
As the wind carried the deadly seed
to the minds of the doomed
they were gone for the stage of hell

Hits total: 4807 | This month: 7