[Limited CD/DVD and vinyl edition bonus]
10. Dragon Attack [Queen cover]
11. Animal Magnetism [Scorpions cover]
12. Powerslave [Iron Maiden cover]
13. Throne Of Thorns [extended version]

[iTunes bonus]
14. A Day In The Death [feat. Chris Adler]

Additional info
The album is available in three configurations: CD, CD/DVD and vinyl with the latter two versions including four bonus tracks.

Recorded in the fall and winter of 2011 through 2012 at Driftwood Studios, Oakland, CA & Backstage Studios, Derby, UK.
Recorded and engineered by Andy Sneap.
Additional recordings by Juan Urteaga at Trident Studios, Martinez, CA.
Produced, mixed and mastered by Andy Sneap with Testament.

Cover art and booklet by Eliran Kantor.
Cover art concept by Eric Peterson.

Staff review by
D.T. Metal
Rating:
Unfortunately the era of Bonded By Blood, Pleasure To Kill, and Agent Orange is long gone, but luckily Testament took a stab at nostalgia with their newest album Dark Roots Of Earth. And while The Formation Of Damnation, their 2008 release after an almost 9 year hiatus, was definitely a step into the right direction, it was a bit too modern sounding, and I actually didn't care for Chuck Billy's vocals on it.

Read more ››
published 02.08.2012 | Comments (17)

Found in 54 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 144   Visited by: 1638 users
29.07.2012 - 22:51
Rating: 9
Angelic Storm
Melodious
^^ Troll perhaps? :\
29.07.2012 - 22:57
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 29.07.2012 at 22:53
I think he's too mean to be a regular stoner.

Is there a correlation between trolls and stoners? I wasn't aware there was one...
29.07.2012 - 22:57
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Cynic usually goes against other users randomly, I believe he'll be laughing his ass off when he sees the reaction this caused I think he was not serious.
29.07.2012 - 23:27
Rating: 8
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Unhealer on 29.07.2012 at 22:57

Cynic usually goes against other users randomly, I believe he'll be laughing his ass off when he sees the reaction this caused I think he was not serious.

Sitting back and watching bamboozle TV show "funny ire" where casts from Troy to Angelic reacting on my repressive post. What more to go? Cynic is Tr00l.

On a serious note, I found to be that post bogus. TDRE is quite an exceptional album with pretty less thrash therein, but overall, seems to kick some real ass. I personally found to be pretty enjoyable album. Srs, no overreaction out here.
29.07.2012 - 23:38
Zap
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.07.2012 at 22:13

I accept your apology, but still, it's yes.

You're insulting The New Order with that statement you know ...
29.07.2012 - 23:58
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 29.07.2012 at 23:05
Oh yes, there is. Both of those groups gets stoned every now and then. Usually this happens in the shades, but when the sun appears, it marks that the stoning has already happened.

It clearly has already happened here, in one guise or another!

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 29.07.2012 at 23:27
Sitting back and watching bamboozle TV show "funny ire" where casts from Troy to Angela reacting on this repressive post. What more to go? Cynic is Tr00l.

You clearly are unaware of the fact that my "reaction" to your post wasn't meant to be taken seriously. lol

Written by Zap on 29.07.2012 at 23:38
You're insulting The New Order with that statement you know ...

I love "The New Order", so I wouldn't insult it. xD
30.07.2012 - 04:09
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.07.2012 at 22:51

^^ Troll perhaps? :\

A very accurate troll.
30.07.2012 - 05:17
infernaldeath87
Great album! I'm digging that Powerslave cover!
30.07.2012 - 07:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.07.2012 at 11:43

Rise Up however, could have came off The New Order...

Like someone else said... just, no.
And The New Order wasn't that great in its entirety anyway, only half of it was great the other half just mediocre.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.07.2012 - 08:31
Rating: 7
Tatras
Why so many 10 and 9 ratings? Nice abum but nothing special.
30.07.2012 - 18:07
In Bone Factory
More Heavy than Thrashy, but still good
----
The End Is Nigh ...
30.07.2012 - 18:38
Rating: 5
SSM
Massacred
Nothing special IMO, there are some bridges or interludes and melodies here and there.
But overall, average. The best aspect of the album is "the cover songs' existence", I like their performance on Powerslave.
But about the original stuff... nothing special IMO.
30.07.2012 - 18:59
Lit.
Account deleted
Pale-faced heavy/thrash.
30.07.2012 - 19:16
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Testament - Native Blood

New video online.
30.07.2012 - 19:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Can't watch the video, it's only available to US users.
30.07.2012 - 20:12
Unhealer
Eclecticist
LOL at the native guy doing air blast beats with the piece of wood.
30.07.2012 - 22:56
Big-Al
Written by Angelic Storm on 30.07.2012 at 19:35

Can't watch the video, it's only available to US users.

http://www.metalinjection.net/tv/view/9592/testament-native-blood-video
----

I drink moosepiss
31.07.2012 - 07:32
sukimin
Testament is one of the best thrash metal band till now. Awesome new album
31.07.2012 - 14:25
Rating: 10
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore

I love the album now after a few listens, but it's definitely a grower, and most of the songs didn't blow me away when I first heard them. It's defintely better than TFOD which was a great album, but also dragged at times. There's not a lot of thrash on the album, so people hoping there was going to be a lot of that, will certainly be disappointed. But I love the Ritual, which is more commercial and less thrash than Dark Roots, so I don't have a problem with that. It's not a great thrash album, but it is a great heavy metal album.

Rise Up however, could have came off The New Order, that one's a great thrasher!

I agree. This album perfectly demonstrates a bridge between The New Order and The Ritual and the modern, new stuff (like the drumming). Don't forget 'True American Hate', it's like the 2012 version of the New Order title track. <3

I won't talk about how an elitist shitpile MS rating system has become. Every guy who doesn't like a genre goes jumps on its bands' ratings and downrates them to horrible understatements because it's not his type of shit or is not too old to become considered 'true'. Everything unorganized and annoying to sit through and takes 7 aeons to start understanding gets immediately 10s and "genius" songwriting, which is mostly just a lot of atonal mess that's a bulk of easy stuff in the works for years, but the stuff that accesses us fast because of the cleverness of the songwriters is left to the trash. Whatever.
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
31.07.2012 - 16:06
Rating: 6
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Iron Nostarion on 31.07.2012 at 14:25

I won't talk about how an elitist shitpile MS rating system has become. Every guy who doesn't like a genre goes jumps on its bands' ratings and downrates them to horrible understatements because it's not his type of shit or is not too old to become considered 'true'. Everything unorganized and annoying to sit through and takes 7 aeons to start understanding gets immediately 10s and "genius" songwriting, which is mostly just a lot of atonal mess that's a bulk of easy stuff in the works for years, but the stuff that accesses us fast because of the cleverness of the songwriters is left to the trash. Whatever.

What the heck are you talking about? First of all, the rating system has been the same for ages (at least since I've been around), so choose your words correctly. Second, your perception of why people rate some albums with 10's or leave them "to the trash" is purely your imagination, and even if that were the case, ratings reflect the attitude of the masses unless Metal Storm is an assembly of people with very narrow-niched tastes, which you seem to be suggesting, but I don't think that's the case.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
31.07.2012 - 16:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by K✞ulu on 31.07.2012 at 16:06
...but I don't think that's the case.

He's just mad because people have a different opinion than him.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.07.2012 - 16:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Iron Nostarion on 31.07.2012 at 14:25

I agree. This album perfectly demonstrates a bridge between The New Order and The Ritual and the modern, new stuff (like the drumming). Don't forget 'True American Hate', it's like the 2012 version of the New Order title track. <3

according to your reasoning all pop music should be rated highly because accesses us fast because of the cleverness of songwriters.

and look at the top 200 here at MS http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/albums_top.php

All accessible stuff imo totally no atonal work in there at all
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.07.2012 - 16:26
Rating: 7
Tatras

Every guy who doesn't like a genre goes jumps on its bands' ratings and downrates them to horrible understatements because it's not his type of shit

So rating should be open for fanboys who will give only 10 or 9 (these are the more demanding) for their bands no matter what sh1t that band made?
I like thrash very much, but i won't rate every thrash metal album 10 only because of that.
31.07.2012 - 16:27
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Some here who have been negative about the album have criticised those who have given it a high rating, so the being mad at people for having a different opinion to themselves cuts both ways...

@Strifeman: Pretty much every era of Testament (barring "Demonic") is covered on the new album, but with a slight modern twist, due to both the drumming and the production. There is thrash on the album, and certainly far more so than was on "The Ritual", but still insufficient to please those who were hoping for a more aggressive overall release. It's pretty much like a modern "Practice What You Preach", in that it contains the pure thrash elements from the first two albums, but is more melodic overall than them. I certainly love the album a lot!

I won't go on about elitism, as I have done that a lot on these forums, and the subject has become tiresome to me of late... The people who rated it a 1 or a 2 though (and therefore on a par with LULU, and other such beyond dreadful albums) are likely just trolling, or voting tactically to help albums they want to be at the top in the top albums of the year.
31.07.2012 - 16:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 31.07.2012 at 16:27

It's pretty much like a modern "Practice What You Preach"

true, it's just as bad as that one and also as bad Souls Of Black. Dark Roots, Practice and Souls are Testament's three worst albums, no doubt about that in my mind.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.07.2012 - 16:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Deleted the one clear vote abuser who tanked this with a 2 (as well as several other albums). Overall score skyrocketed from an already preposterously high 8.1 to an astounding 8.2. That leaves one vote below a 4 from someone who primarily throws out 9s and 10s. Everybody calm your tits. If anything, this site is known more for higher ratings than lower ones. The fact this didn't make the top 20 of 2012 is due to the fact the majority of people who cast their vote weren't blinded by the big name.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.07.2012 - 16:36
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2012 at 16:31
true, it's just as bad as that one and also as bad Souls Of Black. Dark Roots, Practice and Souls are Testament's three worst albums, no doubt about that in my mind.

I was going to add in my previous post that those fans who disliked Practice due to it's more melodic overall approach would very likely also dislike the album.

Although there is a definite Ritual influence on the album, I think Practice is the older album it's most closely related to, seeing as The Ritual featured no thrash on it at all, whereas Practice did.

Hmm... I'm quite surprised that you rate those as the three worst Testament albums. Not that I'm surprised at you not liking them, but because that means that you think The Ritual is better than those three. Why do you not feel The Ritual is as bad as those three albums?
31.07.2012 - 16:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 31.07.2012 at 16:36

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2012 at 16:31

I was going to add in my previous post that those fans who disliked Practice due to it's more melodic overall approach would very likely also dislike the album.

It has nothing to do with it being more melodic. It has to do with shoddy song writing.
The Legacy is actually as melodic is gets when you talk about Testament, it is more melodic than Practice. Practice is less speedy and more mid tempo but that does not mean it is more melodic.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.07.2012 - 16:41
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.07.2012 at 16:33
The fact this didn't make the top 20 of 2012 is due to the fact the majority of people who cast their vote weren't blinded by the big name.

You do realise that your attitude is just as condescending in tone as Strifeman's that you just took issue with?
31.07.2012 - 16:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 31.07.2012 at 16:41

Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.07.2012 at 16:33
The fact this didn't make the top 20 of 2012 is due to the fact the majority of people who cast their vote weren't blinded by the big name.

You do realise that your attitude is just as condescending in tone as Strifeman's that you just took issue with?

nope it is not. I think you'd better look up condescending in the dictionary (now THAT is condescending hahahaha)

Most people here dissing out 9s and 10s to this work are blinded by the big name, I agree with Troy on that.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 60425 | This month: 43