Metal Storm logo
80s Thrash Metal

Original post

Posted by Mega-Slayer, 27.09.2006 - 04:39
This thread is dedicated to the 80's Thrash metal scene,primarily underdog groups.This thread isn't meant to decide who the greatest thrash group was or is. Just to talk about bands you are interested in,what albums you consider to be classics, and so forth.A very unnapreciated group with one of THE greatest thrash albums ever released is Dark Angel,"Darkness Descends" was an instant favorite when I heard the opening riff for the first song.One other group I really enjoy is from the late 80's,went by the name of Evildead,they were among the few that had originality in their music at the time,they weren't just another Thrash group.I have only heard their debut "Annihilation Of Civilization",but "Underworld" is also a classic from what i've heard.Viking,Sacred Reich, Whiplash,and Exciter also kick ass.
18.12.2011 - 23:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by JCJen7 on 18.12.2011 at 23:30
Oh, i assumed you meant their two 80's albums, like the guy above you. which 80's one don't you care for?

I only like Terror Squad and By Inheritance. The rest isn't worth anything to me.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.12.2011 - 23:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.12.2011 at 23:35

Written by JCJen7 on 18.12.2011 at 23:30
Oh, i assumed you meant their two 80's albums, like the guy above you. which 80's one don't you care for?

I only like Terror Squad and By Inheritance. The rest isn't worth anything to me.

So you only like one 80s album by them
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.12.2011 - 23:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.12.2011 at 23:41

Oh sorry! I misunderstood what the first guy said... I meant I only like two of their albums, not two of their '80s albums.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.12.2011 - 00:31
Mattybu

If the second half of By Inheritance was as good as the first, I would have a shrine to it. Alas, it is not.

As for the American thrash vs. German thrash debate, I side with US all the way. But obviously there are some good albums from German bands, Sodom, Kreator, Tankard, and Destruction have all released something good at one point or another.
19.12.2011 - 00:50
JCJen7

Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.12.2011 at 23:43

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.12.2011 at 23:41

Oh sorry! I misunderstood what the first guy said... I meant I only like two of their albums, not two of their '80s albums.

Yeah, I figured, but that is why I assumed you didn't like By Inheritance. So...we're all on the same page now...i think.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
19.12.2011 - 02:17
listmor

Written by Mega-Slayer on 05.10.2006 at 07:52

Some other good undergorund bands I haven't yet mentioned are Living Death(german thrash)

This is the first time I have seen anyone mention Living Death any where for years, (and this post is 5 years old!). I remembering spinning their album Worlds Neuroses around and around. Thanks to you man for reviving my memory so that I can get back into those guys.
19.12.2011 - 06:39
JCJen7

Written by listmor on 19.12.2011 at 02:17

Some other good undergorund bands I haven't yet mentioned are Living Death(german thrash)

This is the first time I have seen anyone mention Living Death any where for years, (and this post is 5 years old!). I remembering spinning their album Worlds Neuroses around and around. Thanks to you man for reviving my memory so that I can get back into those guys.

do they get better after their debut? BEcause their debut (Vengeance Of Hell) I did not find to be that great.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
19.12.2011 - 06:56
Savopipo

Written by JCJen7 on 19.12.2011 at 06:39

do they get better after their debut? BEcause their debut (Vengeance Of Hell) I did not find to be that great.

Living Death I've never heard of but since I'm not much into trash these days I guess I'll just let it pass. In the eighties I listened to Slayer, Sodom, Exodus, Testament, Megadeth, Anthrax, Kreator and of course Metallica. There was also a band/project named "S.O.D" that released an album called "Speak English Or Die" I think. It was more on the hardcore/punk side of things but since Scott Ian played on it it was brought to my attention and I liked it a lot. Also Exciters first three records was part of my record collection.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
19.12.2011 - 11:03
listmor

Written by JCJen7 on 19.12.2011 at 06:39

Some say its a case of either liking or disliking the vocals. I enjoy Vengeance of Hell and do beleive that they also got better. If you can, listen to Protected from Reality (I think their 4th album) and Worlds Neuroses (I think 5th out of 6). If youlike their shit you will probably like it a lot otherwise its probably going to be unappealing.
20.12.2011 - 00:01
Sacrificial

The golden age of thrash metal
26.12.2012 - 01:25
john_mcc

English Punk band English Dogs recorded a Thrash album in the 80's that totally rules called "Where Legend Began". The vocals are still very punk but the whole album is packed with amazing guitar riffs and memorable solos. The guitarist responsible later became the touring guitarist for The Prodigy in the late 90's and is now in The More I See (http://www.themoreisee.com/tmis/). The band are active again but have gone back to being a punk band with no metal present at all in their sound.

Just check out this song from the album...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrbnK0ntNdg
26.12.2012 - 12:38
Aristarchos

My personal favourite thrash albums are
Pestilence - Malleus Maleficarum
Num Skull - Ritually Abused
Poison - Into The Abyss
Slaughter - Strappado
+Metallica's 80's album
Most of these albums (not Metallica's) are more or less death/thrash.
26.12.2012 - 14:02
Aristarchos

I forgot to mention Sacrifice - Forward To Termination as one of my favourites too.