Metal Storm logo
Quo Vadis - Day Into Night review

Reviewer:

211 users:
Band: Quo Vadis
Album: Day Into Night
Release date: 2000

01. Absolution (Element Of The Ensemble III)
02. Dysgenics
03. Hunter/Killer
04. Hunter/Killer: Endgame
05. Let It Burn
06. Dream
07. On The Shores Of Ithaka
08. Night Of The Roses
09. I Believe
10. Point Of No Return: Mute Requiem
11. Point Of No Return: Cadences Of Absonance

It's common knowledge that nowadays, Metal comes from Europe, the 80's wave of extreme Heavy Metal from North America is over, the ball is now in other terrain, but while many people look North America as the United States, many overlook the fact that Mexico and Canada are there too, and that brings us to the homeland of the band we're reviewing today.
Quo Vadis (translation: "where are you going" in Latin) hails from Canada and they're playing Melodic Death Metal with Thrash Metal influences, well, and? they're freakin' good!

The first thing you'll notice about these CD is the drumming, it's absolutely insane! Mr. Yanic Bercier handles the double bass at the speed of light, his technique is real fast and I don't recall hearing something like that since the early records of Fear Factory. By far the drumming is the best asset of this band, but not the only one, vocals are pretty wicked too, the vocalist reminds me of Jeff Walker from the now defunct English act Carcass, in their Heartwork - Swansong era, but besides that, the band does not rely on one vocalist only to handle the vocals duties, but from time to time, they switch the microphone to other of the members.

The album starts with the wonderful "Absolution", a great song with great melodies, killer drumming and vocal-switching, "Hunter/Killer" is another excellent song that have a very catchy chorus, and even a second part, entirely instrumental.
As the record goes on, "Let It Burn" kicks in with a perfect combination of softer and catchy parts with some more aggressive and technical. The second instrumental song, "Dream" offer us a clean start, very mellow guitars and nice rhythms, the whole song, in effect, gives you the sensation of being dreaming, not that this song will make you sleep, it's just the "sensation"? just in case.

Just when you think the drumming couldn't go better, "On The Shores Of Ithaka" comes in and proves one more again that this band have what it takes to be one of the big ones. Other favorite of mine is "I Believe" another track with killer drumming (just listen the double bass!) just amazing.

Quo Vadis, Metal sensation from Canada, one of the best bands to come from North America in the last years, and an underrated act also. My advise, get this album and enjoy almost an hour of great music, and big record labels, please take a look to Canada, because there's something cooking there, and if Quo Vadis is just a treat of what's going on there, we must be prepared for the new wave of Canadian Heavy Metal bands invading the world!

Written by Undercraft | 15.03.2005

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 139 users
27.09.2006 - 19:44
RazorOfTheLight
Account deleted
Quo Vadis is spectacular of all metal acheivements. "On The Shores Of Ithaka" is metal masterpeice. As stated above the drumming is insane while the song as a whole remains catchy. The sound created by Quo Vadis is definatly one of extreme rarity.
02.01.2009 - 05:35
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Excellent record...
recommended to anyone who likes the swedish style of death metal coupled with really heavy everything
good driving music!!
07.08.2010 - 21:02
Rating: 8
qlacs
"The Quaker"
I like this album though Dysgenics is crap
----
06.10.2010 - 09:13
Rating: 10
Guib
Thrash Talker
I Saw them live in Ottawa in a small crowded Bar named Maverick
They were playing along with Martyr and Insurection a growing band in my town...
All three were fucking crazy ! And Quo Vadis gave such a great show
They're without any doubt (with Martyr) one of the best on the Canadian Death Metal Scene.
I know Gorguts and Cryptopsy are damn great aswell but I don't enjoy them as much as I do with
Quo Vadis and Martyr

They give an insane performance... Can't Believe I heard ''On The Shores Of Ithaka'' and ''Silence Calls The Storm'' live :D !!
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
22.09.2012 - 13:36
Rating: 9
Daniell
_爱情_
This popped up as random album for me just now. I almost forgot how fantastic this album is! A perfect blend of speed, brutality, technicality and melody. A 9.5 for sure.
26.07.2015 - 23:16
Rating: 6
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Interesting, Mexico IMO Spanish lang is why band has some bounderies be famous, but Canada I don't know, maybe Quebec and it stupid politics and liberation politics but still , many good bands from Canada are under rated even in mighty I net era , pre I net bands what made it? (whit out Rush) just few
This band well maybe even if it would be from US it wont work same good as other genres?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 7460 | This month: 11