13. Moon And Sun Part II: North's Son [2000 re-release bonus]
14. Light My Fire [The Doors cover] [bonus] [2000 re-release bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1994: 3
Top 200 albums of all time: 139
Featured in "Getting Into: Amorphis"

Guest review by
Bragi
Rating:
Amorphis have changed. That's a fact. But in their early days they played death metal of the finest kind. Tales from the Thousand Lakes is THE groundbreaking masterpiece for the Finnish melodic death metal scene. This album had a great influence on bands like Kalmah, Children of Bodom and Norther. It's very atmospheric ? the scenic cover, the apt title, the extraordinary lyrics, and finally, the doomful, melodic, sometimes melancholic music. The guitar parts on this album belong to the best in the genre.

Read more ››
published 25.11.2003 | Comments (17)

Found in 92 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 36   Visited by: 1845 users
22.10.2019 - 19:55
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by Risto on 22.10.2019 at 13:27

Don't tell me The Castaway isn't much different from Into Hiding. This is just one obvious example

Funny you mention that, The Castaway was the highlight for me from the first half of the record. I did not go very analytical for a reason... Let's just say, when I look at all songs overall, they don't differ a whole lot. Yes you have the occasional synth/key pad and rare clean vocals, and I'm sure the production has its stamp on my impression as well, but these are the oddities not a trend. Still, it's a good record.
----
23.10.2019 - 13:58
Rating: 8
nonZero

I REALLY want to give this album 9/10, but it just doesn't inspire me as much as their other records.

A great listen for sure with some awesome moments, but 8.8 is definitely overrated IMO. Under The Red Cloud blows this out of the water IMO.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
03.03.2022 - 06:40
Rating: 10
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
As musclassia says in his "Getting Into Amorphis" article, Amorphis have such a unique style that it's hard to compare to other bands, let alone categorize their specific genre. All I can say is: this is a lovely masterpiece of melody and metal
03.03.2022 - 15:15
Rating: 8
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by F3ynman2000 on 03.03.2022 at 06:40

As musclassia says in his "Getting Into Amorphis" article, Amorphis have such a unique style that it's hard to compare to other bands, let alone categorize their specific genre. All I can say is: this is a lovely masterpiece of melody and metal

Nordic touch, all that period Swedish and Finnish death metal bands had something, better lyrics IMO and that Nordic melancholy in those days winter was longer, colder and darker.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.11.2022 - 19:13
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I can see where Amon Amarth gained some of their influence.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.11.2022 - 17:04
Rating: 9
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
This is such a fantastic album, a vastly different sound to what they produce now, but their blend of old school death metal and folk metal here is some achievement. It's very consistent I have to say, and very difficult to choose a favourite track. It's probably my favorite Amorphis album, just ahead of Under A Red Cloud and Silent Waters, it's mighty close between them though.

Hits total: 36235 | This month: 81