Metal Storm logo
Guitar noob seeks easy songs (read first post)

Original post

Posted by -tom-, 27.09.2006 - 23:22
hi. i recently started learning to play guitar. im a bit lost for what to attempt to learn to start off with. i want songs that are quite easy to learn and easy to recognise when you're playing them, and not something as simple as ramones songs.

an example would be enter sandman. this is the only song that ive started to learn that i think is really helping.

basically, if you play guitar, what songs were useful for you when you were just a beginner.
02.09.2007 - 11:49
Remus
Written by iMPERiAL_iCE on 14.02.2007 at 11:34

Metallica - Master Of Puppets (2\3 speed or slower then eventually go up the tempo this is to train ur right hand basically..)
Kalmah - Withering Away
Iced Earth - Pure Evil[/i] (can be a bit hard at the beginning but its nice when u've mastered it)

I'm sorry to say this, but none of those songs are easy on guitar. MoP has some really fast palm-mutes, Withering Away has some fast tremolo's and the alternative picking is definately not easy and Pure Evil? Jeez dude, those sextuplets at the begining of the song - you think those are easy? As a matter of fact pretty much every single riff on that song is pretty difficult! Maybe to you all these songs are easy, but mr Lion is a n00b, remember ?

So i would recommend "TNT" by Ac/Dc, someone said "War" by Burzum - that's easy as well(BTW did u notice how Bullet for my Valentine stole the intro-riff from that song and used in their "Hand of Blood"?) and "Sad but True" from Metallica. Being a guitar pooh-pooh myself, i can say that those songs are not that difficult.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
02.09.2007 - 19:44
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
Written by Remus on 02.09.2007 at 11:49

Written by iMPERiAL_iCE on 14.02.2007 at 11:34

Metallica - Master Of Puppets (2\3 speed or slower then eventually go up the tempo this is to train ur right hand basically..)
Kalmah - Withering Away
Iced Earth - Pure Evil[/i] (can be a bit hard at the beginning but its nice when u've mastered it)

I'm sorry to say this, but none of those songs are easy on guitar. MoP has some really fast palm-mutes, Withering Away has some fast tremolo's and the alternative picking is definately not easy and Pure Evil? Jeez dude, those sextuplets at the begining of the song - you think those are easy? As a matter of fact pretty much every single riff on that song is pretty difficult! Maybe to you all these songs are easy, but mr Lion is a n00b, remember ?

So i would recommend "TNT" by Ac/Dc, someone said "War" by Burzum - that's easy as well(BTW did u notice how Bullet for my Valentine stole the intro-riff from that song and used in their "Hand of Blood"?) and "Sad but True" from Metallica. Being a guitar pooh-pooh myself, i can say that those songs are not that difficult.

I know they're hard to play but I never said to play them at full speed go from slow to fast, and u'll really thank me later, u have to start by playing songs that really exersice the different techniques rather than just play easy ones which don't help at all.
believe me u'll master these songs in no time if u keep practicing.
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
02.09.2007 - 19:50
Remus
^ Fair enough.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
06.09.2007 - 20:42
Alex Smith
Alice Cooper - Eighteen or W.A.S.P. - Sleeping In The Fire, The Idol, Wild Child, e.t.c.
04.10.2007 - 16:23
thiskid
Account deleted
If you want easy stuff check out Satyricons latest album. Most old( and i mean old) school metal songs are easy without the solos. Breaking the Law or Paranoid are good ones. The solo in Paranoid is the first I learnt, though it'll probably take a while to get the timing right, its a good song caus theres not a whole lot of movement on the fretboard.
05.10.2007 - 10:15
thiskid
Account deleted
having thought about it more, electric funeral is a great one.
10.10.2007 - 22:21
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Metallica intros such as Enter Sandman and Unforgiven, Rammstein...well, most of their songs, avoid Klavier or Wilder Wein, try Blood Hunger Doctrine by Dimmu Borgir, that one's easy, just find something that sounds less complicated, don't take Dream Theater or Iron Maiden solos or something like that.
----
11.12.2007 - 12:53
RockeRoy
I started by learning Metallica,ac/dc,nirvana,iron maiden and sepultura the last one if you wan't a little more challenge! and if you don't read guitar-tabs i would recommend you learning it, if you don't have an amaizing ear! download guitar-pro!
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
27.08.2008 - 05:33
MortalTheory
Account deleted
metallica stuff, unholy confessions (by avenged sevenfold) is easy and fun to play
17.09.2008 - 00:14
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
umm i started off with ironman by black sabbath
14.12.2009 - 12:56
divortium
"Killing Is My Business... ...And Business Is Good!" whipped my chops into shape really quickly. Bitchin' alternate picking exercise.

EDIT: Also, learn Opeth's "Blackwater Park", and thank me later.
----
Stop him in his tracks, show him that I am ruthless...
15.12.2009 - 11:58
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Guest on 17.09.2008 at 00:14

umm i started off with ironman by black sabbath

Haha, me too man..I think I was about 16 then. Aside from Iron Man, which should be mandatory for all metal fans learning to play guitar, the next song I went to was Paranoid and then Slayer's "South Of Heaven".

Learning other musicians songs is good and all, it can help give you ideas for combinations and use of chords that you may not have normally thought about doing or, if nothing else give you a vague idea of how to structure songs but, the best thing to do is of course the most boring..learn chords and scales and then just experiment, sit there for an hour or two and just mess around.

I know this is an old thread but, I think it's still useful.

Not that "Insects Of Death" comes to MS any more but goddamn what an inappropriate and insulting use of that quote, it was not the trashy, new American metal band Lamb Of God that came up with that saying, it was fuckin' Emiliano Zapata who said it, nearly a hundred years ago!
08.03.2010 - 06:10
Mushieknot
Any Nu Metal should be easy. I started Guitar in december and i know a whole slew of slipknot, limp bizkit (shut up, i know i just said that), linkin park,ect. If you have a seven string Mushroomhead has some easy cool sounding riffs.

Vermillion by slipknot is good practice. Palm muting, finger changing, and hammer-on/pull-offs, octave notes. It's helping me.
----
Yea, I do like Nu Metal.
14.05.2010 - 07:23
I know, far be it from anyone to even bring this up, but the songs from St. Anger have medium-to-easy riffs, which I would recommend for a beginner guitarist.

Other than that, Electric Funeral (yes), and Hammerheart by Bathory (there are some tough parts, but the pace of the song is rather slow, but still epic-sounding)
----
I'd rather like what I like because I like it, despite if everyone hates me for it, then like what I hate just to be accepted by you.
17.02.2011 - 18:47
Quote:
best freakin guitar lesson ever

this one is from youtube, it has very detailed explenations so it should be good for beginners:
how to play californication on guitar - part 1.

Thats only the first part, you can watch the other 3 parts here:
you can also watch it here - how to play californication

PEACE
18.02.2011 - 17:26
ANGEL REAPER
One of my lists is named "10 Metal Songs That You Need Less Than 5 Minutes To Learn How To Play On Guitar"
Check it!
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
12.03.2011 - 02:05
Void_Eater
Account deleted
How about some early Venom? It's no mystery that the guys in Venom were average musicians, at best, during the begining of their career. Welcome to Hell might have some good stuff for you- The title track is very easy.
27.04.2011 - 18:29
jazar94
Raining Blood by Slayer, except for the solo. It was the first song I learned, anyways.
20.05.2011 - 17:44
Razorback
I would suggest Metallica-Enter Sandman,one of the classics but easy to play.Though you don't need this advise anymore,you asked for it long ago
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!