Metal Storm logo
Black Sabbath, aka Heaven And Hell

Original post

Posted by animal, 28.09.2006 - 11:05
From Blabbermouth;

Madrid, Spain-based webzine Rafabasa is reporting that former BLACK SABBATH members Tony Iommi, Ronnie James Dio, Geezer Butler and Bill Ward will rejoin forces once again under the HEAVEN & HELL banner for a number of festival appearances next summer.

According to Rafabasa, the four members cannot tour under the name BLACK SABBATH or "BLACK SABBATH with Ronnie James Dio" due to legal reasons.

No tour dates have yet been confirmed, but the band's booking agent is allegedly offering the group to the promoters of the most important heavy metal festivals that are set to take place next year.

If the report is to be believed, HEAVEN & HELL will play a set consisting of selections from every single SABBATH CD that Ronnie James Dio appeared on: "Heaven & Hell", "Mob Rules" and "Dehumanizer".

In an August 16, 2006 appearance on the syndicated radio show "Rockline", Dio had the following to say about the possibility of further collaborations with BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi:

"We've already written one [new] song together. The reason for that is that there's a release coming out, it's called 'Black Sabbath: The Dio Years' ? they've already done one, of course, 'Black Sabbath: The Ozzy Years'; that was the beginning and, really, the best part of it all ? but they've decided to do one, again, 'Black Sabbath: The Dio Years', and we wanted to make it a little but more special, not just give you things you've not heard from a live perspective. These are two things you'll never hear again ? two new songs. We are going to do that. It's been fun already. The one we've done ? the one that I've done with Tony has been really wonderful ? just great to realize how magnificent a player he was. You forget that after 10 years at a time that you don't work with someone. So we are gonna be doing that. And I hope you'll like it. I think it'll be great."

On the rumors of him possibly rejoining BLACK SABBATH, Dio said, "There's always rumors about everything ? about a RAINBOW reunion, about a BLACK SABBATH reunion. Our purpose was to do this because we wanted to have this product be a bit more special than anything else ? not just, 'Here's a live track you've never heard before.' I mean, that's cool, but I'm sure people have heard that. We wanted to do something a bit more special, so the whole band would write and play these songs, and? They've wanted to hear them long enough, so here they are. But it's not anything that we've talked about leading to anything other than that. No, it's for that project."

Can't go under Black Sabbath? Who here doesn't think that has Sharon Osbourne written all over it?
13.05.2009 - 20:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Valentin B on 08.05.2009 at 22:12

Imo these guys are overrated, but still pretty good. i too thought "omg DIO AND BLACK SABBATH PWNING TIME!!" but as long as they don't play The Sign of the Southern Cross it's all in vain

They did play The Sign Of The Southern Cross the last time around when they toured.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.05.2009 - 20:54
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.05.2009 at 20:42

Written by Valentin B on 08.05.2009 at 22:12

Imo these guys are overrated, but still pretty good. i too thought "omg DIO AND BLACK SABBATH PWNING TIME!!" but as long as they don't play The Sign of the Southern Cross it's all in vain

They did play The Sign Of The Southern Cross the last time around when they toured.

yeah but according to the site www.setlists.fm they didn't play it in this year's tours. anyway as far as live performances,
Dio(the band) TRUMPS Heaven and Hell, they used to play Dio material, Black Sabbath 80-82 stuff, and RAINBOW stuff too.
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dio/2006/credicard-hall-sao-paulo-brazil-3bd634c0.html *drools*
15.05.2009 - 04:40
Fubar
We just got the album at our radio station recently, im only half way through but it's pretty nice so far.I hope they stop at The Rave in Milwaukee, a lot of bands tend to skip and go from Chicago to Minneapolis.,
----
15.05.2009 - 05:39
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I have recetly gone on a black sabbath Binge, I bought a few albums on impulse and a book of songs with sheet music and tabs....it's really thick. I love Black Sabbath, especially Master of Reality. Orchid is amazing.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
15.05.2009 - 10:06
TheBigRossowski
Written by Arian Totalis on 15.05.2009 at 05:39

I have recetly gone on a black sabbath Binge, I bought a few albums on impulse and a book of songs with sheet music and tabs....it's really thick. I love Black Sabbath, especially Master of Reality. Orchid is amazing.

Will you come off it, Walter, you're not even Jewish, man! You're fucking Polish-Catholic! That was the best Sabbath era. I'm listening to Vol.4 right now. I draw the line between Black Sabbath and Heaven and Hell. The band tried to change their name with Dio, but because of pressure from the label, they had to stick to Black Sabbath (in the early days).

I mean, when I listen to ''Masters of Reality'' and ''Heaven and Hell'', it's like listening to a different band. Of course, many bands change their sounds with time, for example death metal bands switching to black or vice-versa. However, I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand, Dude. Across this line, you DO NOT.. stick to the same band name with such a change and expect to have the same fans.

Now these days, Black Sabbath is Sabbath and Heaven and Hell is....Heaven and Hell.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
15.05.2009 - 11:40
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by TheBigRossowski on 15.05.2009 at 10:06

Will you come off it, Walter, you're not even Jewish, man! You're fucking Polish-Catholic! That was the best Sabbath era. I'm listening to Vol.4 right now. I draw the line between Black Sabbath and Heaven and Hell. The band tried to change their name with Dio, but because of pressure from the label, they had to stick to Black Sabbath (in the early days).

I mean, when I listen to ''Masters of Reality'' and ''Heaven and Hell'', it's like listening to a different band. Of course, many bands change their sounds with time, for example death metal bands switching to black or vice-versa. However, I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand, Dude. Across this line, you DO NOT.. stick to the same band name with such a change and expect to have the same fans.

Now these days, Black Sabbath is Sabbath and Heaven and Hell is....Heaven and Hell.

Yeah well, that's just, you know, like, your opinion, man.

Well I think it was a smooth transition from technical ecstasy in a way... don't know, maybe I'm just insane, but I find the new Heaven & Hell album sounds more "Sabbathy" than Technical Ecstasy.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.05.2009 - 22:24
TheBigRossowski
Written by Doc G. on 15.05.2009 at 11:40

Written by TheBigRossowski on 15.05.2009 at 10:06

Yeah well, that's just, you know, like, your opinion, man.

Well I think it was a smooth transition from technical ecstasy in a way... don't know, maybe I'm just insane, but I find the new Heaven & Hell album sounds more "Sabbathy" than Technical Ecstasy.

Well done! Oh yeah, the new Heaven and Hell has definitely more kick than Technical Ecstasy, however, I don't count that to my (imaginary) ideals of the Sabbath. After Sabotage, they lost direction...

It's more of a personal taste of opinion. Lot of people prefer Dio over Ozzy, but those people are fucking amateurs, lol.
----
16.05.2009 - 04:46
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I also actually feel that Sabbath and Heaven and Hell are two different things. imo while the only line up change they endured was the loss of Ozzy Osbourne, he was also like a signiture to their style. Dio brought a whole different kind of signiture to the table. Ozzy Threw the peace sign, Dio threw devil horns. Ozzy has the kind of voice which has never been imitated since his prime. Dio inspired like a billion vocalists to immitate his sound (not a bad thing imo, as a vocalist, I like Dio better). However, if I were to say who as a vocalist I prefere with Sabbath, I would say Ozzy. But since I consider them (sabbath and Heaven & Hell) two different bands, I don't often compare.

Edit: I know they lost more than ozzy in their career, but Ozzy was the only signifigant loss. I love Bill ward ,but as Long as Geezer and Tony are there that's all I give a shit about.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

16.05.2009 - 12:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 16.05.2009 at 04:46

Ozzy has the kind of voice which has never been imitated since his prime.

Then you should check out the first two Count Raven albums or Lord Vicar, or Tefra - The Last Dance and then esepcially the first song
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.05.2009 - 00:21
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.05.2009 at 12:14

Then you should check out the first two Count Raven albums or Lord Vicar, or Tefra - The Last Dance and then esepcially the first song

Hmm, well, that suprises me. But still, I guess Dio's voice is much more imitiated. Not a bad thing for either one. I'm sure the bands that Ozzy inspired are worthwhile in their art too.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

18.05.2009 - 00:27
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Arian Totalis on 18.05.2009 at 00:21

Hmm, well, that suprises me. But still, I guess Dio's voice is much more imitiated. Not a bad thing for either one. I'm sure the bands that Ozzy inspired are worthwhile in their art too.

Check out Early Man as well, they're a pretty fucking solid two man group - with Ozzy-esque sounding vocals as well.
----
- George Carlin
18.05.2009 - 01:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 18.05.2009 at 00:21

You are right that Dio's vvoice is way more imitated. I pointed out those three bands cause they are actually very good and should be checked out by those who like Ozzy's voice. Btw Lord Vicar has the vocalist that sang on Count Raven's first two, and Chritus (that's his name) also sings on St. Vitus' - C.O.D. Especially Lord Vicar deserve to be more exposed to a arger audience. They released a great full-length debut last year (of course nominated here at MS) and also a great 7" and live they are great as well.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.05.2009 - 01:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Doc G. on 18.05.2009 at 00:27

Check out Early Man as well, they're a pretty fucking solid two man group - with Ozzy-esque sounding vocals as well.

Daamn you for mentioning a doom band I have never even heard of
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.05.2009 - 01:48
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.05.2009 at 01:08

Are we thinking of the same Early Man?

http://www.myspace.com/earlyman
----
- George Carlin
18.05.2009 - 01:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Doc G. on 18.05.2009 at 01:48

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.05.2009 at 01:08

Are we thinking of the same Early Man?

http://www.myspace.com/earlyman

I checked out their myspace and nope they are not doom hahaha
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.05.2009 - 07:23
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Just checked out Count Raven's "In Honor". It's a pretty wicked song, I love that riff, it's so Dark!
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

19.05.2009 - 11:13
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Arian Totalis on 19.05.2009 at 07:23

Just checked out Count Raven's "In Honor". It's a pretty wicked song, I love that riff, it's so Dark!

this shit's awesome, imagine being high and thinking "hmm, what if Sabbath stuck to Doom metal and didn't fire Ozzy?" that track is your answer

but is that his vocal style or he deliberately tried to imitate him? i'm asking because it sounds WAY TOO MUCH like him, and Marcel don't give me that Scheepers and Ripper sound like Halford because they sure as hell don't sound as similar to him as this guy sounds to Ozzy tbh i can clearly distinguish Ripper and Scheepers from Halford but if i heard the Count Raven song without being able to check it out i could have sworn it was Sabbath.
19.05.2009 - 14:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Valentin B on 19.05.2009 at 11:13

Written by Arian Totalis on 19.05.2009 at 07:23

this shit's awesome, imagine being high and thinking "hmm, what if Sabbath stuck to Doom metal and didn't fire Ozzy?" that track is your answer

but is that his vocal style or he deliberately tried to imitate him? i'm asking because it sounds WAY TOO MUCH like him, and Marcel don't give me that Scheepers and Ripper sound like Halford because they sure as hell don't sound as similar to him as this guy sounds to Ozzy tbh i can clearly distinguish Ripper and Scheepers from Halford but if i heard the Count Raven song without being able to check it out i could have sworn it was Sabbath.

I wasn't planning to go on the Scheepers rant
I think it is Chritus own vocal style. Just check out last year's Lord Vicar and you'll see he still sound s a lot like Ozzy but a lot more matured and a little less Ozzy this time around.
But yeah, first time I heard Count Raven (on the Dark Passage compilation released by Rise Above) I also could have sworn it was Sabbath, it was that I checked the record sleeve and read it was Count Raven

OOPS I see you guys are talking about the song In Honor... that was not sung by Chritus but by Dan Fondelius (who handles the vocals on albums nr. 3 and 4 and also on nr. 2 I think) I am not sure if it is Dan's own style cause I haven't heard any of his vocals in other bands. Here it might be copying cause maybe he didn't want to change Count Raven's vocal style too much.

On the first two albums the vocals are even more Ozzy.

Btw my favourite Count Raven track comes from album nr. 2 Destruction of The Void namely Leaving The Warzone. If I remember correctly from the top of my that album also features vocals by Dan Fondelius.

But Storm Warning is total Black Sabbath worship
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.05.2009 - 18:21
TheBigRossowski

I had that same idea listening to The Demon of Freedom (Lord Vicar). I hope I get the full-length for my birthday, lol! In the meantime, I received my ticket for the show in Gießen. I've listened to the new Heaven and Hell album a few times and was only able to give it a seven. It receives a lot of praise, but there are a few choppy songs or shitty parts like Rock and Roll Angel, Double the Pain and Eating the Cannibals (pointless..).

''On a caravan to Superman!'', fucking ridiculous. However, Atom and Evil is really great and quite doomy.

The band remains Heaven and Hell. This thread should also be called Heaven and Hell and not ''Black Sabbath, aka...''.

And while I'm at it, fuck Tony Martin, fuckin' amateur...
----
09.06.2009 - 23:18
TheBigRossowski
Just saw them last night in Giessen and thought I'd write a few things. Great show! The sound was awesome and Dio sounded really good live! Dude's vocals are sick (but it's not Sabbath...)! We were way up front, so I managed to take some photos and have a good time. The guy next to me heard something about Kansas and then he bought me a beer, far-out, man!

SETLIST:
The Mob Rules
Children of the Sea
...something else from ''Dehumanizer''
Bible Black
Time Machine
Fear
Falling Off the Edge of the World
Follow the Tears
Die Young
Heaven and Hell

BONUS: Neon Knights

----
11.06.2009 - 15:10
TheBigRossowski
Guess nobody likes my photos
----
11.06.2009 - 16:41
Numbskull
Nice Pics

For me vocals are mile wide and inch deep. Everyone can hear them for what they are and nobody will ever confuse Dio with Ozzy. The writing and playing style/ability of Geezer and Tony go miles deep and are the essence of Black Sabbath. IMO - when they get together and create heavy metal it's Black Sabbath.