Metal Storm logo
Your favorite Traditional/Heavy and Power releases this year?

05.08.2011 - 22:44
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
I haven't found many Heavy and/or Power releases I've liked that much this year, do you guys have recommendations?

What are your top 3 Power and/or Heavy releases so far in 2011?
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
06.08.2011 - 01:19
IronAngel

I haven't heard too many. Doomsword's The Eternal Battle was probably the most entertaining so far, even if I prefer their earlier work.

Hell's Human Remains is a little interesting, very theatrical and dramatic. I'm only interested because I saw them put up a great show live, they do sound a bit shitty on the album.

I've only given it a few spins, but Jag Panzer's The Scourge Of Light seemed solid, if unsurprising.

I haven't heard them myself, but I've read good things about the bands In Solitude and Portrait.

Symphony X's latest is a pretty good album, though. One that I might actually still be listening to by the end of the year. It barely fits within the scope of this topic, being so progressive, but it's clearly rooted in power metal.

Edit: Oops, no top 3. Well, I couldn't make one anyway, because I don't know three 2011 heavy or power metal releases well enough to rank them.
06.08.2011 - 07:24
R'Vannith
ghedengi
My top three of those not already mentioned would be:
Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
Falconer - Armod
Týr - The Lay Of Thrym
06.08.2011 - 12:40
Charly546

This year is awesome for heavy/power metal.

Well, first of all, as already said, Hell is awesome.

Satans Host "By the Hands of the Devil" came out with a great heavy/power/black metal album, its fast, heavy, full of energy. If you thought Conklin was good on this year's Jag Panzer album, well, on this he's on fire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0hjetazvbo&feature=related

And In Solitude's "The World. The Flesh. The Devil" and Portait's "Crimen Laesae Majestatis Divinae" are also really good. Both are prime examples of Swedish heavy metal. Both are heavily inspired by Mercyful Fate, but not clones, rip-off (although there's nothing wrong with that).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UeVAjeeyqY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cywlJWyzS-k&feature=related

Also Manilla Road's new album is out as well, but I haven't heard it yet. Since it's Manilla Road, I'm sure it'll be great.

PS. @Impeckable. Pariah is awesome.
06.08.2011 - 21:11
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Thanks
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
06.08.2011 - 23:23
Starchild

Powerwolf - Blood Of The Saints
Borealis - Fall From Grace
Stratovarius - Elysium
07.08.2011 - 02:17
Pazu

Hm, Armod by Falconer was pretty good, but Dark Empire's newest record will probably blow it out of the water. Those guys are extremely good.
08.08.2011 - 12:02
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Charly546 on 06.08.2011 at 12:40

Satans Host "By the Hands of the Devil" came out with a great heavy/power/black metal album, its fast, heavy, full of energy. If you thought Conklin was good on this year's Jag Panzer album, well, on this he's on fire.

And In Solitude's "The World. The Flesh. The Devil" and Portait's "Crimen Laesae Majestatis Divinae" are also really good. Both are prime examples of Swedish heavy metal. Both are heavily inspired by Mercyful Fate, but not clones, rip-off (although there's nothing wrong with that).

Also Manilla Road's new album is out as well, but I haven't heard it yet. Since it's Manilla Road, I'm sure it'll be great.

Yeah Pariah are one of the best Thrash bands I've ever heard, 'Blaze of Obscurity' is very much an overlooked gem!
Also, haven't checked out Satan's Host before are they similar to Jag Panzer?
09.08.2011 - 21:11
Charly546

Written by R'Vannith on 08.08.2011 at 12:02

Written by Charly546 on 06.08.2011 at 12:40

Yeah Pariah are one of the best Thrash bands I've ever heard, 'Blaze of Obscurity' is very much an overlooked gem!
Also, haven't checked out Satan's Host before are they similar to Jag Panzer?

Well, let me put it this way - there are similarities between Jag Panzer and Satan's Host. I can only speak for the first and the last Satan's Host album. First one could be described as "Ample Destruction" with a more darker tone and pretty muffled production. The last album is pretty much heavy/power metal + black metal, not that similar to Jag Panzer (haven't heard their newer albums). The Tyrant sings on both of these albums and gives a for more "out-there" perfomance than in Jag Panzer.

Though, I think if you enjoy Jag Panzer, you'll like Satan's Host. A couple YT links as well for the first album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAbs1XANgcA&feature=related ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lUQInRwRdI&feature=related ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrypbI4Y4L8&feature=related
10.08.2011 - 09:09
strade

I'd definitely say Heavenly Ecstasy by Pagan's Mind, along with Iconoclast and Crimen Laesae Majestatis Divinae by Portrait. Now that's a great band that should really be on MS.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
14.08.2011 - 23:39
Susan
Smeghead
Well it hasn't been a huge year for quality heavy or power metal but there are definitely some gems.

Heavenly Ecstasy by Pagan's Mind is probably my #1 right now. Beautiful, inspired power/prog/classic awesomness.

Burning Fortune by Cauldron has also received many listens. It is STRAIGHT UP classic heavy metal though, so maybe not for everyone.

It's too early to name a 3rd place since there is so much I haven't yet heard (like Hibria for one thing). Some solid albums that may grow on me would be Falconer, Jag Panzer, Bloodbound, Symphony X and Axenstar. Oh, check out Russian band Константин Селезнёв. High quality, interesting, heavy metal a la Jorn, etc.

People have really been liking Powerwolf but I didn't get it. Is it supposed to be a joke? The music was really fun but the lyrics and the whole concept just seemed TOO cheesy, even for me. Biggest disappointment so far: Benedictum. Loved their first 2 albums and then wtf is this uninspired crap?

Fun thread! I'm getting lots of ideas.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
03.09.2011 - 12:54
Hellish Star

JAG PANZER The scourge of the light
VICIOUS RUMORS Razorback killers
SATAN'S HOST By the hands of the devil
BOREALIS Fall from grace
HELL Human remains
SAXON Call to arms
PAGAN'S MIND Heavenly ectasy
DI ANNO Nomand
WHERE ANGELS SUFFER Purgatory
H.A.T.E. Inject the infection
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
03.09.2011 - 12:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Hellish Star on 03.09.2011 at 12:54

HELL Human remains

still the best release of the year in the trad/heavy and power genre for me and probably best overall as well.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.09.2011 - 17:24
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I'm probably gonna check out some of the stuff posted here, imo UDO's last album is also excellent (heavy and fast as hell, probably the most brutal album they ever did)
14.09.2011 - 01:24
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Susan on 14.08.2011 at 23:39

Well it hasn't been a huge year for quality heavy or power metal but there are definitely some gems.

Heavenly Ecstasy by Pagan's Mind is probably my #1 right now. Beautiful, inspired power/prog/classic awesomness.

Burning Fortune by Cauldron has also received many listens. It is STRAIGHT UP classic heavy metal though, so maybe not for everyone.

It's too early to name a 3rd place since there is so much I haven't yet heard (like Hibria for one thing). Some solid albums that may grow on me would be Falconer, Jag Panzer, Bloodbound, Symphony X and Axenstar. Oh, check out Russian band Константин Селезнёв. High quality, interesting, heavy metal a la Jorn, etc.

People have really been liking Powerwolf but I didn't get it. Is it supposed to be a joke? The music was really fun but the lyrics and the whole concept just seemed TOO cheesy, even for me. Biggest disappointment so far: Benedictum. Loved their first 2 albums and then wtf is this uninspired crap?

Fun thread! I'm getting lots of ideas.

Will check out those you mentioned, I've figured we have somewhat of a similar taste in trad metal types
----
7.0 means the album is good
14.09.2011 - 14:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Sinister Realm - The Crystal Eye
Manilla Road - Playground Of The Damned
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.09.2011 - 02:10
JÄY
Metal slave
The new HEll album is so damn good...def. my favorite tradish. of the year. Beside Maiden there are not many other great NWOBH bands for me, and it is a wonderful listen with unique vocals, great riifs and fun songwriting. Lyrics are so ridiculous, its just fun.
26.09.2011 - 23:43
enumaelis

3 of Heavy &/or Power:
1. Hell - Human Remains
2. Coldspell - Out From The Cold
3. Axenstar - Aftermath
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
01.10.2011 - 12:34
Luneth
Account deleted
Heavenly Ecstasy is up there for me, while not being Pagan's Mind best work imo, it is certainly one of the better heavy/melodic power releases this year. Are we not counting Iconoclast or something?
02.10.2011 - 02:32
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Guest on 01.10.2011 at 12:34

Heavenly Ecstasy is up there for me, while not being Pagan's Mind best work imo, it is certainly one of the better heavy/melodic power releases this year. Are we not counting Iconoclast or something?

I dunno, but if we are, Iconoclast is witout a doubt the best, for me
06.01.2012 - 03:42
Risto
Wandering Midget
This Finnish band has appeared on my posts recently. These guys deserve to be featured, vote them up in the band suggestions!

25.02.2012 - 08:42
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 03.09.2011 at 17:24

I'm probably gonna check out some of the stuff posted here, imo UDO's last album is also excellent (heavy and fast as hell, probably the most brutal album they ever did)

I agree, one of his best works; I haven't enjoyed an album of his like that since Holy (1999 if I remember right)
26.02.2012 - 20:06
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 25.02.2012 at 08:42

I agree, one of his best works; I haven't enjoyed an album of his like that since Holy (1999 if I remember right)

surely you mean their best works right? :p

I don't want to be pedantic, but even in the case of solo acts the frontman should not get all the credit when it's obvious he (or she) doesn't write all the music... you can clearly see this with Ozzy: Wylde and Randy Rhoads were huge contributors (probably more so than Ozzy himself in case of certain songs), and imo it's a bit the same with UDO (the guitarist is actually Accept's old drummer).
26.02.2012 - 20:12
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 26.02.2012 at 20:06

Written by Guest on 25.02.2012 at 08:42

surely you mean their best works right? :p

I don't want to be pedantic, but even in the case of solo acts the frontman should not get all the credit when it's obvious he (or she) doesn't write all the music... you can clearly see this with Ozzy: Wylde and Randy Rhoads were huge contributors (probably more so than Ozzy himself in case of certain songs), and imo it's a bit the same with UDO (the guitarist is actually Accept's old drummer).

yes, I meant "their", I did not think "his" as only Udo alone, let's not drown in semantics. I made an innocent mistake. My bad...
26.02.2012 - 20:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 26.02.2012 at 20:12

yes, I meant "their", I did not think "his" as only Udo alone, let's not drown in semantics. I made an innocent mistake. My bad...

damn, I realize now, you're probably the last person on MS that would think if something's released under the Udo name, then he wrote the entire album or something, don't really know why I said that, probably the Ursus in my system
11.10.2012 - 09:08
VanPlykt

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhWdruhaJkc
11.10.2012 - 11:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by VanPlykt on 11.10.2012 at 09:08

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhWdruhaJkc

wrong year its 2012 now
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.11.2012 - 22:54
R Lewis

Written by Death To Posers on 05.08.2011 at 22:44

I haven't found many Heavy and/or Power releases I've liked that much this year, do you guys have recommendations?

What are your top 3 Power and/or Heavy releases so far in 2011?

If you're searching for some good Heavy/Power, try Firewind's The Premonition, it's not SO recent, but it still kicks ass.
My best album recently is Accept's Stalingrad. It's amazing how they returned to a sky-high level after so many years.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.