- Germany/Austria: January 6, 2012
- Europe: January 9, 2012
- North America: January 31, 2012
- World: January 9, 2012

Formats:
- CD
- Digipak CD
- Limited art book-CD/DVD
- Limited gatefold LP with alternative cover artwork and in two different colours (black and white)

Recorded by Markus Stock at Klangschmiede Studio E.
Mixed and mastered by Neb Xort at Drudenhaus Studio.

Cover art by Fursy Teyssier.
Design by Valnoir for Metastazis.

Produced by MK for Prophecy Productions.

Staff review by
Troy Killjoy
Rating:
Over the course of the past few years, Neige has been not-so-quietly making a name for himself in the black metal scene, working his way through the likes of Mortifera and Peste Noire before contributing to - perhaps - his first real "experiment": Amesoeurs. An experiment that ended in name only...

Read more ››
published 05.01.2012 | Comments (96)

Found in 65 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 119   Visited by: 1291 users
03.01.2012 - 01:44
Kenos
Account deleted
No leak yet? Mph. Guess we'll have to wait till the release date.
03.01.2012 - 12:22
Rating: 9
SelfXPlanetOrE

Never heard of this band. But the one song I have heard is awesome, so I should check this out shouldn't I?
03.01.2012 - 12:30
Rating: 7
Slayer666

Really, really stoked about this after that sample.
04.01.2012 - 01:07
Kenos
Account deleted
I listened to "Autre Temps", and I thought it was pretty mediocre and forgettable. Then it turned out to be the best song of this album. Somehow I perfectly knew this would have been some kind of fluffy, mawkish, harmless, kitschy, redundant, maudlin, shallow, impotent, narcissistic, indigestible plastic music without any trace of originality or inspiration.

The previous albums are so beautiful that I always wish they were a bit longer. This time I just want to shoot my balls while dying of Tanax overdose after barely ten minutes; and fuck, it's the longest Alcest album to date. This must be one of the most boring yet self-indulgent things I've ever heard.
04.01.2012 - 01:20
Rating: 8
InnerSelf
proofread free
I know what you mean ... it is still early but this seems to have zero charm and a lack of the 'thing' that made the previous two so unbelievably great.
first impression is meh
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
04.01.2012 - 01:31
Kenos
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 04.01.2012 at 01:20

I know what you mean ... it is still early but this seems to have zero charm and a lack of the 'thing' that made the previous two so unbelievably great.
first impression is meh

I know Neige's music very well. It's not that kind you must hear ten times before you "get" it.
I remember when I first heard "Souvenirs" or (my favourite) "Ecailles". I was stunned and mesmerized since the first song. This is just a huge load of saccharine...
I will give it more spins of course, because I'm still curious to know every detail of this mediocre (to say the least) work.
04.01.2012 - 03:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
People hating on new Alcest? Now I'm really intrigued.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.01.2012 - 07:33
Rating: 6
strade

Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.01.2012 at 03:13

Yep, so out of the ordinary!
I still have total confidence that I'll love it. Alcest doesn't change much, and they don't need to (for me anyway). I see why people don't like it. That's fine; that's their problem, not my own.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
04.01.2012 - 10:01
Mikyz

Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.01.2012 at 03:13

Yeah, the album is actually really good... I might like it more than Écailles de Lune...
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
04.01.2012 - 12:03
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 04.01.2012 at 01:31

I know Neige's music very well. It's not that kind you must hear ten times before you "get" it.

Was planning to use this exact sequence of words as my opening sentence in my review for this album. I also will have to give it more spins but I'm pretty sure it will not turn out to be as good as I have hoped
----
is not bold enough
04.01.2012 - 12:05
Kenos
Account deleted
Written by strade on 04.01.2012 at 07:33

that's their problem, not my own.

It's not a matter of "having problems" or not, my dear. You probably don't have a better temporal cortex than mine.
You like it; I don't. That's it.
04.01.2012 - 12:12
Kenos
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 04.01.2012 at 12:03

Written by Guest on 04.01.2012 at 01:31

Was planning to use this exact sequence of words as my opening sentence in my review for this album. I also will have to give it more spins but I'm pretty sure it will not turn out to be as good as I have hoped

This night I gave it a third spin and everything got worse... "Là où naissent les couleurs nouvelles" must be the worst Alcest song. All over the place, completely all over the place... This album has the largest number of riffs, yet it sounds so lazy, recycled and inconsistent...
04.01.2012 - 12:26
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 04.01.2012 at 12:12

This night I gave it a third spin and everything got worse... "Là où naissent les couleurs nouvelles" must be the worst Alcest song. All over the place, completely all over the place... This album has the largest number of riffs, yet it sounds so lazy, recycled and inconsistent...

Had he taken some more time and wrote a couple of more songs like Summer's Glory this would have been fine but instead he wrote down every cool sequence of riffs, layered them up and distorted them .... voila
----
is not bold enough
04.01.2012 - 13:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 04.01.2012 at 01:07

I listened to "Autre Temps", and I thought it was pretty mediocre and forgettable. Then it turned out to be the best song of this album. Somehow I perfectly knew this would have been some kind of fluffy, mawkish, harmless, kitschy, redundant, maudlin, shallow, impotent, narcissistic, indigestible plastic music without any trace of originality or inspiration.
The previous albums are so beautiful that I always wish they were a bit longer. This time I just want to shoot my balls while dying of Tanax overdose after barely ten minutes; and fuck, it's the longest Alcest album to date. This must be one of the most boring yet self-indulgent things I've ever heard.

Lols, some adjectives seem highly out of nowhere comparing it to the music.
Anyway, has it leaked already or what?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.01.2012 - 13:27
Kenos
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.01.2012 at 13:20

Written by Guest on 04.01.2012 at 01:07

Lols, some adjectives seem highly out of nowhere comparing it to the music.

I just instinctively wrote down the best (well, actually worst) adjectives that could describe what I felt at the moment.
And yes, it's leaked; want a lollipop?
04.01.2012 - 13:29
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.01.2012 at 13:20

According to a friend of mine, it has. Might give it a spin after I'm done with Epysode and some others, just so I can be part of the opinion chu-chu train.
----
7.0 means the album is good
04.01.2012 - 13:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 04.01.2012 at 13:27
:lol: I just instinctively wrote down the best (well, actually worst) adjectives that could describe what I felt at the moment.
And yes, it's leaked; want a PM?

Thanks but not thanks, would probably get a link soon by a friend.
----
Rod, let me love you.
04.01.2012 - 16:54
pisymbol

Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.08.2011 at 03:33

Can't wait for this.

Don't have too (url tags are currently broken):

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7BF53AFB2555C55E

Not my list but you are welcome sir...

EDIT: Just submitted the good news to be official (I didn't realize this was announced on Alcest's Facebook page).

Rejoice!
04.01.2012 - 19:07
InnerSelf
proofread free
I judged this fast, too fast maybe. It seems that in a deep layer of my subconscious I did not want to like it ! but once I put aside all the negative pre-assumptions it sounded rather good. Although I stand by the fact that this has a generic sense in it but it's not bad at all. I get what Neige wanted to express and I like the flow of the album. only thing is that it all seems like a build up to the climax that is "Summer's Glory". I really can't express how this song makes me feel with words, it sounds like a cleansing ritual so beautiful and pure ( but not gay ).
gonna keep listening to it and maybe I'll discover more things about it
----
is not bold enough
04.01.2012 - 19:31
Kenos
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 04.01.2012 at 19:07

I judged this fast, too fast maybe. It seems that in a deep layer of my subconscious I did not want to like it ! but once I put aside all the negative pre-assumptions it sounded rather good. Although I stand by the fact that this has a generic sense in it but it's not bad at all. I get what Neige wanted to express and I like the flow of the album. only thing is that it all seems like a build up to the climax that is "Summer's Glory". I really can't express how this song makes me feel with words, it sounds like a cleansing ritual so beautiful and pure ( but not gay ).
gonna keep listening to it and maybe I'll discover more things about it

Good for you, bro. Hopefully I'll change my mind too, like I did with some other albums I actually hated during the first listens - Katatonia's "NITND" and Anathema's "AFDTE"; and strangely enough they're among my all-time favourites now!
04.01.2012 - 19:37
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 04.01.2012 at 19:31

Good for you, bro. Hopefully I'll change my mind too, like I did with some other albums I actually hated during the first listens - Katatonia's "NITND" and Anathema's "AFDTE"; and strangely enough they're among my all-time favourites now!

Chances is that this will not make your all time favorite albums list because as you said Neige's music is not the type that takes time to "get". the two albums that you mentioned actually had something new to offer to the sound of these two bands and thus needed some more time to get into but this just needs time to get used to it and it might sound better.
----
is not bold enough
04.01.2012 - 20:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I gave up at track 3.
04.01.2012 - 21:07
Kenos
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 04.01.2012 at 20:51

I gave up at track 3.

I had to listen in instalments. Insulin injections between track 3-4 and 5-6.
04.01.2012 - 23:50
Milena
gloom cookie
I'm in the middle of my third song and it's pretty dreamy and cute, but I can already tell it will be a one-time-use type of release... the previous two bored me around the third listen.
----
05.01.2012 - 00:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Milena on 04.01.2012 at 23:50

I'm in the middle of my third song and it's pretty dreamy and cute, but I can already tell it will be a one-time-use type of release... the previous two bored me around the third listen.

I think the first song is okay but I really enjoyed the second one. I was happy that he used his harsh vocals during some moments.
Like I said in another thread: Inferior to the other two but objectively speaking the songwriting and performance is better and quite varied tbh. Specially enjoy the drumming which saved many moments from losing my interest.
----
Rod, let me love you.
05.01.2012 - 01:00
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.01.2012 at 00:49

Specially enjoy the drumming which saved many moments from losing my interest.

Yeah, I pretty much hated it when an identical black metal sequence on drums popped up in every other track during the first two, here it's more varied. I like the cleans here better as well. But the ending pretty much sounded like your average soundtrack to some hipsterish commercial targeted at young adults.
If I'm allowed to drift off for a second, some of the atmospheric black metal stuff Troy gave to me sounded a lot better than this. That Coldworld thing is especially pretty baws on some more ambient tracks.
----
05.01.2012 - 01:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Yeah, since the drumming got more varied it's easier to appreciate when blastbeats appear

Written by Milena on 05.01.2012 at 01:00

Yeah, I pretty much hated it when an identical black metal sequence on drums popped up in every other track during the first two, here it's more varied. I like the cleans here better as well. But the ending pretty much sounded like your average soundtrack to some hipsterish commercial targeted at young adults. If I'm allowed to drift off for a second, some of the atmospheric black metal stuff Troy gave to me sounded a lot better than this. That Coldworld thing is especially pretty baws on some more ambient tracks.

The last song was okayish/good but I expected a far better ending (the previous two albums had wonderful endings imo). Something I found funny though is that when I saw Alcest back in april, they played Summer's Glory without anyone really knowing which song it was let alone a song from their upcoming album.
I wouldn't really think about any atmospheric BM here. Mostly because Alcest stopped doing that since... I dunno, their debut. I get your point though.....kind of.

I need to see more tv it seems... I never seen a commercial with music like Alcest ahahahahhaha.
----
Rod, let me love you.
05.01.2012 - 01:12
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.01.2012 at 01:07

I wouldn't really think about any atmospheric BM here. Mostly because Alcest stopped doing that since... I dunno, their debut. I get your point though.....kind of.

That's why I said drifting off, but I did think a bit about Le Secret when I posted it. One thing that bugged me about Le Secret was the production, I know it adds mistique and yadda yadda but I can't help trying to "hear better" (here in Serbia we have a great expression for it, "ćuliti u?i", kinda like "to extend one's hearing", it that makes sense) and in the end I figure I'm annoyed. I don't have a problem listening to older releases with a muffled production, but when the stuff is newer I like it clean... which is probably why I should stay away from genres which incorporate that. But maybe it's just something you can get used to?
----
05.01.2012 - 01:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Milena on 05.01.2012 at 01:12
but when the stuff is newer I like it clean...

So you are basically saying that a release from 2012 shouldn't really have a "bad production"?
I personally think Le Secret is flawless, Alcest should have expanded that sound a lot more and THEN go to the stuff of their debut and present if Niege felt for it. I don't think there's a lot of difference between Le Secret and let's say... Forteresse in terms of production. So I can't really understand your comment.
----
Rod, let me love you.
05.01.2012 - 01:23
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.01.2012 at 01:18

So you are basically saying that a release from 2012 shouldn't really have a "bad production"?

No, I'm just saying that it's a part of a personal preference, since my brain tries desperately to "fill in the blanks" made by muffled sound even when I doze off and not think about it. I'm aware that not everyone wants to have sparkly clean production and that it can be used for artistic purposes, but it's one of the things I so far haven't gotten used to in metal.
----

Hits total: 34569 | This month: 25